Wigan Athletic 1-0 Newcastle United - 26/12/07 - reaction from page 16

PM

SA blaming the players isnt a good sign, This is definately the beginning of the end for sam. With our next 3 games being hard games i can see SA gone before Jan is out.

FA Cup game is the one. Lose that and I just cant see him not clearing his desk monday morning. I bet the BBC cant wait.

Woah woah woah didn't realise martins didn't start.....for fucks sake...

The same Martins who'd fuking off for the ANC for several weeks and we should be hammering his time on the pitch to keeps others fit and to pray he picks up a slight knock to keep him out of it.

The same Martins who'd fuking off for the ANC for several weeks and we should be hammering his time on the pitch to keeps others fit and to pray he picks up a slight knock to keep him out of it.

Way way to sensible way of thinking for NUFC and its manager.

Didn't see the game. Is it true that Geremi started and Smith was the captain?

F*ck me, even the arm band is being played out of position under Big Sam.

Yes, yes and  bluelaugh.gif

The Wigan announcer actually called out that our captain was Geremi pre-match too.

The Wigan announcer actually called out that our captain was Geremi pre-match too.

Lowes and Anderson only realised Smith was the captain in the tunnel.

Lowes and Anderson only realised Smith was the captain in the tunnel.

That's fucking awful, tbh. Bet Geremi was over the bloody moon.

He doesn't seem to have a problem with it...?

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2007/12/27/geremi-s-still-man-for-the-job-72703-20289527/

He told the Chronicle: “Alan will be captain when I am away at the African Nations.

“The manager told me the decision for him to be captain was to get him ready for the responsibility while I’m gone.

“As far as I know that is the case.”

He doesn't seem to have a problem with it...?

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2007/12/27/geremi-s-still-man-for-the-job-72703-20289527/

He told the Chronicle: “Alan will be captain when I am away at the African Nations.

“The manager told me the decision for him to be captain was to get him ready for the responsibility while I’m gone.

“As far as I know that is the case.”

Hmmm... I mean by the lack of announcement beforehand. This is closing the stable door after the horse has bolted.

Another example of bad man-management to me.  Why does Smith need to get ready for the responsibility when Geremi is only away for a month.  What on earth does a captain do that needs practice - maybe there is some special technique to tossing that coin.  What a crisis it would be if Geremi suddenly got injured and no-one had had any time to get used to the role.  Just seems to me that Allardyce has realised that he made a mistake making Geremi captain and is not sure how to get around it.

Guest newcastle4life

Rubbish again one point against the bottom two and if it carries on we will carrying losing because of the tough run of games we have.

Another example of bad man-management to me.  Why does Smith need to get ready for the responsibility when Geremi is only away for a month.  What on earth does a captain do that needs practice - maybe there is some special technique to tossing that coin.  What a crisis it would be if Geremi suddenly got injured and no-one had had any time to get used to the role.  Just seems to me that Allardyce has realised that he made a mistake making Geremi captain and is not sure how to get around it.

Its as if he even needs to get used to it.  He's been captain when Geremi's been dropped or subbed in recent weeks anyway, plus I don't see how it makes that much of a difference to how he should conduct himself on the field.

for those who were there.

what was the fans reaction. at half time you could hear the booing on the radio. the away crowd are normally pissed and have a partizan "it might be s**** but it's our s****" mentality but it seems like allardyce has even lost the backing of this partizanship.

I think most people simply ran out of any patience they had with the manager today. There must have been one or two sticking by him but sure they were in the minority. There were a group near me who had berated Allardyce all game, shouting for Mourhino. They nearly ended up in a scuffle with the group in front of them, so i'm guessing the camp was split there.

I'm all for giving a bloke time, but results and performances like this are just unacceptable.

We need someone lined up before we get rid though and Shearer aside i can't think who.

Another example of bad man-management to me. Why does Smith need to get ready for the responsibility when Geremi is only away for a month. What on earth does a captain do that needs practice - maybe there is some special technique to tossing that coin. What a crisis it would be if Geremi suddenly got injured and no-one had had any time to get used to the role. Just seems to me that Allardyce has realised that he made a mistake making Geremi captain and is not sure how to get around it.

Its as if he even needs to get used to it. He's been captain when Geremi's been dropped or subbed in recent weeks anyway, plus I don't see how it makes that much of a difference to how he should conduct himself on the field.

It doesn't. He still gets booked and can't f****** score :lol:

Going by the one hour Sky highlights -

Wigan looked a strong, athletic side - better than their league position suggests - and we found it difficult to compete physically. We couldn't get going.

It wasn't a great free kick. Given took a half step to his left, and that made him off-balance when the kick came in. If he's had the confidence to stay his ground, he'd have got it no problem.

I think Viduka is pretty useless as a target man in a fast and physical game like that. He was dominated by the centre backs, and as a result we lacked any kind of outlet or means of building an attack. Smith is more mobile and would have done a better job.