Wigan Athletic 1-0 Newcastle United - 26/12/07 - reaction from page 16

PM

Disappointed like but change isn't going to happen overnight. We're not going down and not getting into Europe so I can't see the need for change just yet. We're mid-table and we'll stay about there til May which, considering the absolute shambles he inherited, is slight progress.

I'm not defending the style of football we're playing or some of the results we've had but some people are going WAAAAAAY overboard. He needs time - give him it. He needs players - give him a bit of money. He needs patience - give him it.  :thup:

He's had time man he's had money and yet he can't get them to string 2 passes together! How do you think a few more months will change it?

He's not up to the job, simple!

He's had about 8 months, 1 transfer window and about £10m net I think to spend. Still a bit too early to get shot, no?

We've got 26 points on the board and need to win another 4 or so to avoid relegation. I reckon we'll do that personally. Not really impressed with what I'm seeing but he needs to be given a chance and needs a bit of backing with a bit of cash. We'll be fine this season but if we're still in this exact position next New Year I'll be annoyed.

I can understand the frustration though..  :thup:

Ok do you think 8 months is long enough to actually get a side playing proper football instead of this garbage that's being served up?

I mean the simple basics of football?  Because I see no evidence at all.

We may have 26 points but that will not be changing much over the next month i can assure you.

No. That's sort of my point.  :thup:

I'm not happy with some of what we're playing but I told myself it would take a while to adapt to the type of stuff Allardyce wanted to play and it's true. We're never going to match Arsenal but if we'd have played exactly the same and won 1-0 then no fucker would be saying a word. Results are all that's important. Unfortunately, we're playing poorly and losing rather than playing poorly and winning. Give him your patience and a bit more money and I'm confident he'll start getting results. 

Yeah sure it takes time to adapt to a style of play but it's the simple aspects of football which aren't there irrespective to whatever style you play!

That is down to the manager and coaching staff to make sure you have a good base in which a style of play can be applied too.  It just isn't there at all and he needs to either get the chop sooner rather than later or get some better coaches in!

Pearson is still the 1st team coach and the other fools around him are still from the old regime, so there is no suprise we haven't improved from when Souness and Roeder were here

That's fair enough and I can understand the anger and frustration but the difference is this:

Under Roeder and Souness - I knew it wouldn't get any better,

Under Allardyce  - I know it can and will get better if he's given time and backed in the transfer market.

It's not all rosy and I accept we're playing some f****** awful stuff but we're picking up points and winning games. I just think he deserves a bit of time and patience to get things set up the way he wants them. If we're still playing like this AND losing this time next year then it'll need looking at. But for the time being we need to get behind him and the team and stick with him. IMO obviously.  :thup:

He won't get that long tbh

He won't get that long tbh

Well none of us know the answer to that one mate. We'll see I suppose...

Under Shepherd, I've had agreed with you but I think he'll be given a little slack under Ashley. Just a hunch.

I don't think SA is necessarily a bad manager, but he needs to adjust his mentality fast or he's going to lose newcastle united's supporters, board, and job! Simple as.

At the start of this season i posted along the lines of SA's mentality is not right for newcastle: he doesn't want to dominate games and dominate the football. i also asked if he brought any tactical positives to the job, as in my eyes he was little more than a footballing clive woodward, employing fancy dan science techniques and countless other coaches to do the job for him, whilst sitting in an overseeing role. for me, he's not showed the slightest bit of tactical nous, and absolutely no desire to play football (whether good or bad). He simply wants the team to participate

Think he has already lost the majority of the fans going off the chant "We're shit and we're sick of it", that most of the stand was singing today.

Guest bluegeordie

From a run of games since the Arsenal game where you'd have expected a constant improvement in performances, more consistent team selections and 10 points, we've stumbled our way to 7 points against relegation fodder each time, still no closer to a settled side, and not knowing where the next point is coming from.

I've got the feeling that a defeat at Stoke in a couple of weeks time will be the end for him.

I must admit that this is all too easy to imagine, although personally I still don't want Sam to be sacked at this stage, and certainly not unless we have an excellent, guaranteed replacement lined up, which seems highly unlikely (imo, calls to "get Jose" are so pie in the sky as to be virtually psychotic, and even presuming Shearer was interested, I think that appointing him at this moment in time would have more in common with a boys own annual fantasy story than with genuine professional forethought).

I readily admit that if Sam is following a preordained plotline, then it's looking increasingly like it's of the David Lynch variety - that is, you come away thinking wtf was that all about ... but at the same time utterly convinced that the world is a dark and ugly place. Still, unless we're in serious danger of relegation (which seems unlikely due to the absolute shite down at the bottom of the table ... even if said shite can often out-perform us when we face them), I continue to think that we should stick with Sam for this season at least.

I readily concede that atm Sam's "tactics" seem barely worthy of the name; that his team selections are typically baffling; that his substitutions are often infuriating; that many of our results are poor; and, perhaps most importantly of all, that we're playing a "style" of football that makes experiencing a game akin to suffering from sea sickness. However, unlike many others on here, I do feel that the squad has improved significantly since Sam's arrival (on paper, if not on grass), and that the off-field set-up is getting better also.

Thus, if things continue as they have been going, and we finish somewhere in mid-table, but with a stronger squad and a more solid off-field structure in place, then in the summer Mort and Cashley will be in a position to make a level-headed decision about whether Sam has the capacity to take the club forward. If the answer is "no" (which, on the evidence thus far, I suspect it will be) then they can look for "their man" - a truly suitable replacement for Sam (perhaps from amongst the ranks of the Euro Championship coaches). Another possibility, of course, would be to appoint a Director of Football who understands Big Sam's vision for our club - no, not Sir Bobby, or Special K, or even The Special One, but the Great Man himself:

http://www.globalesland.de/archive/images/David_Lynch.bmp  :coolsmiley:  :coolsmiley:  :coolsmiley:

Guest smarty2006

From a run of games since the Arsenal game where you'd have expected a constant improvement in performances, more consistent team selections and 10 points, we've stumbled our way to 7 points against relegation fodder each time, still no closer to a settled side, and not knowing where the next point is coming from.

I've got the feeling that a defeat at Stoke in a couple of weeks time will be the end for him.

I must admit that this is all too easy to imagine, although personally I still don't want Sam to be sacked at this stage, and certainly not unless we have an excellent, guaranteed replacement lined up, which seems highly unlikely (imo, calls to "get Jose" are so pie in the sky as to be virtually psychotic, and even presuming Shearer was interested, I think that appointing him at this moment in time would have more in common with a boys own annual fantasy story than with genuine professional forethought).

I readily admit that if Sam is following a preordained plotline, then it's looking increasingly like it's of the David Lynch variety - that is, you come away thinking wtf was that all about ... but at the same time utterly convinced that the world is a dark and ugly place. Still, unless we're in serious danger of relegation (which seems unlikely due to the absolute s**** down at the bottom of the table ... even if said s**** can often out-perform us when we face them), I continue to think that we should stick with Sam for this season at least.

I readily concede that atm Sam's "tactics" seem barely worthy of the name; that his team selections are typically baffling; that his substitutions are often infuriating; that many of our results are poor; and, perhaps most importantly of all, that we're playing a "style" of football that makes experiencing a game akin to suffering from sea sickness. However, unlike many others on here, I do feel that the squad has improved significantly since Sam's arrival (on paper, if not on grass), and that the off-field set-up is getting better also.

Thus, if things continue as they have been going, and we finish somewhere in mid-table, but with a stronger squad and a more solid off-field structure in place, then in the summer Mort and Cashley will be in a position to make a level-headed decision about whether Sam has the capacity to take the club forward. If the answer is "no" (which, on the evidence thus far, I suspect it will be) then they can look for "their man" - a truly suitable replacement for Sam (perhaps from amongst the ranks of the Euro Championship coaches). Another possibility, of course, would be to appoint a Director of Football who understands Big Sam's vision for our club - no, not Sir Bobby, or Special K, or even The Special One, but the Great Man himself:

http://www.globalesland.de/archive/images/David_Lynch.bmp  :coolsmiley:  :coolsmiley:  :coolsmiley:

Lets go for David Lynch with Robert Blake as assistant.

I readily admit that if Sam is following a preordained plotline, then it's looking increasingly like it's of the David Lynch variety - that is, you come away thinking wtf was that all about ... but at the same time utterly convinced that the world is a dark and ugly place. Still, unless we're in serious danger of relegation (which seems unlikely due to the absolute shite down at the bottom of the table ... even if said shite can often out-perform us when we face them), I continue to think that we should stick with Sam for this season at least.

http://www.globalesland.de/archive/images/David_Lynch.bmp   :coolsmiley:  :coolsmiley:  :coolsmiley:

I would back a Lynch appointment. Would bring some mystery and guile to the midfield.

And maybe we could re-christen Saint James's as "The Theatre of Bad Dreams" ...

Excellent I think you're onto something...And the only flashbacks wouldn't be defensive blunders but sexy chicks in blue tinted dreams.

Guest JamesyJazz

Are we playing to our teams strengths?

Is squad performing to their abilities?

Are we cursed?

Where do we go from here?

Is it all down to  Sam and his team talk/tactics or is it something else entireley?

I really don't know any more!

What he does in the transfer window will probably define if he's still here for the start of next season.

Unless of course he goes against his grain and aims to win matches first instead of setting the team out with the intention of not losing.

Guest bluegeordie

:jesuswept:  Isn't it sad that all we're left with these days is gallows humour? Immediately after a match, and following (more than) a few drinks, I just find it too painful to coldly analyse performances from our team like most of the ones that we've recently had to endure. It's kinda like rationally assessing the evidence at a Ted Bundy crime scene - "well, there's a limb in that corner, and what I think is half a head over there etc etc".

:jesuswept:  Isn't it sad that all we're left with these days is gallows humour? Immediately after a match, and following (more than) a few drinks, I just find it too painful to coldly analyse performances from our team like most of the ones that we've recently had to endure. It's kinda like rationally assessing the evidence at a Ted Bundy crime scene - "well, there's a limb in that corner, and what I think is half a head over there etc etc".

;D

Guest smarty2006

;D

Or when Fred and Rose West ad another room to there house (building for the future)

Guest sombrero

i have been told steven taylor wants him sacked ASAP and most of the dressing room too

Then I hope we get rid of him and half the dressing room

how can anyone justify such negative football ... we have creative talent in our squad which is being told to stop being creative because he's scared of conceding goals... this is obviously rubbing off on the players

"Creative talent"? Where?

we have it's just not very evident at the minute ..because it's being stiffled by negative football

Who has it then in our squad?

Guest Mcdonald36

I'm fucked off with this. I know we get critcised for changing managers like the wind, but I'm not bothered. Allardyce is out of his depth at a club of our size, get rid and get in a quality proven manager like Hiddink.

I'm f***** off with this. I know we get critcised for changing managers like the wind, but I'm not bothered. Allardyce is out of his depth at a club of our size, get rid and get in a quality proven manager like Hiddink.

Why would Hiddink come to us?  :idiot2:

I bet that would have been the reaction of Man City fans before their takeover if Sven had been suggested.

Guest Mcdonald36

I'm f***** off with this. I know we get critcised for changing managers like the wind, but I'm not bothered. Allardyce is out of his depth at a club of our size, get rid and get in a quality proven manager like Hiddink.

Why would Hiddink come to us?  :idiot2:

Because we're a big club and because we'll pay him to.

Mong.