Pace

James

The only player at the club who has pace and consistently knows how to use it, is Habib Beye.

We were in the same situation last season and producing poor results as we just weren't stretching our opponents, but were rescued by an in-form and fit Dyer during December and January.

Now, with Dyer gone, who is going to rescue us by providing an injection of pace that we urgently need?

The only player at the club who has pace and consistently knows how to use it, is Habib Beye.

We were in the same situation last season and producing poor results as we just weren't stretching our opponents, but were rescued by an in-form and fit Dyer during December and January.

Now, with Dyer gone, who is going to rescue us by providing an injection of pace that we urgently need?

Watching the Derby game i was actually thinking it might be worth sticking carr right back and moving Beye forward. Seems to be very direct and uses plays to his strengths (like his pace which you mentioned).

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww for fucks sake!!!! I am all for wild knee jerk reactions but lets not go as far as say we are missing Dyer ay.

Watching the Derby game i was actually thinking it might be worth sticking carr right back and moving Beye forward. Seems to be very direct and uses plays to his strengths (like his pace which you mentioned).

no

Did Dyer rescue us?

I just remember the same old gutless performances as per usual from Kieron.

Certainly from late November when he returned, the team became more urgent, found more space on the ball in dangerous areas, scored more goals and won more matches, and this carried on until his performaces started to become more gutless from Late January/February.

N'zogbia?

I'm torn 50-50 as to whether he uses his pace well. I'm not sure either that he is quite as quick as he was, he seems to have stockened up at the expense of his pace.

if he seems slower this season it's because he's LB and a quick burst will result in him just about reaching the half-way line

no

Better option than Barton, Smith and Geremi. Doesn't have to be Carr it could be Geremi, Taylor or a new signing. Obviously I'd rather Milner there but seeing as he has a fascination with playing playerss out of poisiton why not try one that that might benefit the team.  :rolleyes:

adding pace to pace multiplies its effectiveness. if you have one lone pacy outlet upfront or out wide defenders can organise themselves around it to nullify its effect. if you have two outlets running and stretching defences in different direction it gets that bit harder and each fast player in turn opens up more space for the other, three and suddenly a team looks deadly. of course if you just have pace you can end up with headless chickens doing little for the team so it has to be allied with a bit of vision and creativity, every Dyer, Bellamy and Robert needs a Solano behind them, likewise players like Petrov, Ireland or Mpenza (not great players by any stretch but all fast) thrive on the creativity of Elano.

We have none at all. Its impossible to stretch teams the way Agbonlahor and Young did today at Chelsea with our pedestrian plebs.

We lose so many options its unreal.

Having pace isn't the be all and end all, having pace with a purpose is however.

Indeed, Franz Carr and Wayne Fereday are testimony to that. Having no pace is worse than having some though! In our case we have slow players with no purpose.

We miss Dyer more than you are willing to acknowledge although I agree he had to go. He was as dangerous off the ball as on it. Bellamy and Robert were the same. At present we have zilch and not a great deal of talent either.

Depressing.

We don't need pace when all we do is hit it long.

So who is trundling onto the knockdowns then?  The style of play is shite too but Villa do similar (ish) at times and so did leicester (under O'Neill) and they utilise/utilised it well.

Having pace isn't the be all and end all, having pace with a purpose is however.

Indeed, Franz Carr and Wayne Fereday are testimony to that. Having no pace is worse than having some though! In our case we have slow players with no purpose.

We miss Dyer more than you are willing to acknowledge although I agree he had to go. He was as dangerous off the ball as on it. Bellamy and Robert were the same. At present we have zilch and not a great deal of talent either.

Depressing.

I understand what you are saying, as he has always have good off the ball running, he just flattered to deceive time and time again. He'd come back from injury, have a few semi-decent games, everyone would hail him as our saviour, but he'd just fade back into obscurity, time and time again.

I agree.

Tony Daley at our place was the fastest player I've seen, faster than Agbonlahor, but with absolutely no clue what to do with the ball when he ran out of space to run into.

Ashley Young is nowhere near as fast, but can cross very well. James Milner has little pace but is also a very good crosser of the ball. Decent wingers will create space.

I agree.

Tony Daley at our place was the fastest player I've seen, faster than Agbonlahor, but with absolutely no clue what to do with the ball when he ran out of space to run into.

Ashley Young is nowhere near as fast, but can cross very well. James Milner has little pace but is also a very good crosser of the ball. Decent wingers will create space.

that goes for all footballers,not just wingers.

I agree.

:idiot2:  :lol: