Spurs sign Luka Modric

Delima
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest redmayne

f****** hell £12million would be great business

based on what?

but, having see him twice, he does look a very good player

based on darren bent at 16.5M

You realise that those articles say exactly what the Croatian ones do? Just because it's now in English, doesn't give it greater credibility, they've just done what we've done and got someone who speaks Croat to tell us what they say the only difference is that more people read their posts than whoever it was who wrote it on here and they're too up their own arse to acknowledge their sources.

Exactly. And sportal.hr and index.hr from Croatia aren't the most credible news sources. So as long as there isn't a genuine report from a reliable source I'll dismiss this as creative journalism.

Guest mrainey

Goes something like this:

Luka Modric is one step closer to signing for Newcastle, as English pundits are reporting that Mamic had met Newcastle officials in Malmaison hotel.

They quote the Daily telegraph then. It's said that Dennis Wise is doing all the business from Newcastle's side.

Dinamo boss has, according to Daily, unofficialy confirmed that Modric has signed a deal with a team that's lacking in the midfield creative department.

Mentions some toon midfielders, along with N'Zogbia whose apparently going to Tottenham this summer. Emre would supposedly be shown the door as well.

It goes on saying that Modric has already celebrated his transfer with his friends&family, and that although he dreamed about joining Barca, his friend Kranjcar

has suggested that the Premiership is the place to go to. Then they write a paragraph on Newcastle's season so far. Apparently, someone has already put Modric

into the Newcastle roster on Wikipedia, giving him the number 8 in the process.

Not much, if any new stuff here.

Stating that we've held talks with their vice-President, and even naming the hotel is a pretty strong piece of "creative journalism" mind.

Remembering how easy it was for peasepud and me to get the "Schweinsteiger to Newcastle" story into various papers all over Europe two years ago or the Koller story from the mackems I am a bit sceptical about transfer stories however strong they might sound...

Stating that we've held talks with their vice-President, and even naming the hotel is a pretty strong piece of "creative journalism" mind.

Remembering how easy it was for peasepud and me to get the "Schweinsteiger to Newcastle" story into various papers all over Europe two years ago or the Koller story from the mackems I am a bit sceptical about transfer stories however strong they might sound...

Let's not forget that other thing as well...... :lol:

http://www.sportal.hr/sportal/sportal/nogomet/vijesti/3065216/index.do

Nee idea if that link's been posted before but anyone care to translate it?

Well it says:

Mamic brothers were in Newcastle the day before yesterday and returned to Zagreb on the same day.

They returned with an unfinished task because they couldn't agree on Modric's wages with Peter Harrison, one of the club's managers.

Mamic brothers did agree a fee (over 20m apparently), but Newcastle had prepared only 1.2m per year basic wage and Dinamo officials couldn't accept that.

Silvio Maric is apparently delighted that Modric could join his former club, and he's quoted saying:

"If Keegan has insisted on him, it means there's a red carpet rolled out for Luka in Newcastle. He'll surely be a star and automatically a starter in their team."

Reporter then confirms that Gullit had also insisted on bringing Maric when he was in charge here. Maric replies: "Yes, it was an honor and an achievement, because

Newcastle are a big club". Big enough for Luka? Rumors say Barca, Chelsea, Real Madrid are all interested? "They are not that big but in England they are amongst the biggest, and richest. They are creating a new team, and will go into the new season with high ambitions. Luka doesn't have to be worried, Newcastle will again be strong and powerful. What's life like in Newcastle? "Bla bla, i had a great time, etc" What about Newcastle supporters? "Best in England! Toon army is incredibly devoted to the club and go on every away games in big numbers (5-6k). It's fascinating, with those kind of supporters you just have to enjoy playing football".

Rough translation but you get the picture :coolsmiley:

That's not Peter Harrison as in dodgy Geordie agent Peter Harrison is it? :lol:

Good to see Maric bigging us up anyway...

Guest nufc_geordie

Modric is a better player than Krancjar from what I have seen of him for Croatia. Very clever player, comfortable on the ball and an eye for a goal. Just what we need.

The colour of my refresh button in my explorer window is starting to fade away after pressing it way too many times since last evening..

god i hope this really is true and goes through..

Under transfer rules, is there anything to stop two clubs agreeing a fee and contract details with the player and for the player to sign a pre transfer agreement?

This is the kind of signing we should be going for all day long - one for now and one that should only get better.  Sooner have a player like this for 12-15M than a 30 something soon to be has been.

Very good work if this is true.  Even if not, our intentions seem alot better than they have in the past.

Under transfer rules, is there anything to stop two clubs agreeing a fee and contract details with the player and for the player to sign a pre transfer agreement?

This is the kind of signing we should be going for all day long - one for now and one that should only get better.  Sooner have a player like this for 12-15M than a 30 something soon to be has been.

Very good work if this is true.  Even if not, our intentions seem alot better than they have in the past.

No nothing wrong with that