Spurs sign Luka Modric

Delima
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

From what I've heard or read, Modic seems quite highly rated. Do you think he is the solution?

I say up to Big Sam. If he decides to stick with 3 grafting midfieldes then let him be.

Croatia's Modric set for Premier League auction

Edward Gibbes

Thursday December 27, 2007

The Guardian

Dinamo Zagreb's president arrived in London yesterday for negotiations with Premier League clubs to sell Luka Modric to the highest bidder. Modric was the playmaker at the heart of the Croatia team that knocked England out of the qualifiers for Euro 2008 at Wembley last month and Manchester City, Tottenham and Chelsea are all thought likely to be interested when the transfer window opens on Tuesday.

Zdravko Mamic sold Eduardo da Silva from Dinamo to Arsenal last summer and says he wants up to £18m for Modric, who can play behind the forwards or on the left of midfield. The Chelsea manager, Avram Grant, watched Modric play for his country in their defeat by Macedonia last month and Arsenal have also been linked with the player - a club scout watched him play for Dinamo when they lost to Hamburg in the Uefa Cup at the start of this month.

Luka Modric, would you go to Newcastle instead of Chelsea or Manchester City? No.

Chelsea may feel that he is not up to their standard. Man City, hmm, good one but they already have Elano so they may not be looking to get another creative midfielder.

Manchester City are leading the race to sign Dinamo Zagreb midfielder Luka Modric. The Croatia star is set to cost Sven-Goran Eriksson £20m (Daily Express)

But Chelsea are also desperate to sign Modric to help ease their growing injury list, that now includes Frank Lampard. (Guardian)

Silvio Maric - that's something to bear in mind. When we signed him, he had a great rep playing for Dinamo and had been courted by the likes of AC Milan. However we signed him and he never really got going. Think the 'highlight' of his career with us was a hattrick against Bedlington Terriers in the senior cup.

What channel is Croatian football on in the UK?

Believe most are basing their opinion on displays for the Croatian national team who's matches ( albeit limited) are televised (Sky Sports, Eurosports etc).

What channel is Croatian football on in the UK?

Believe most are basing their opinion on displays for the Croatian national team who's matches ( albeit limited) are televised (Sky Sports, Eurosports etc).

And Football Manager, of course, where he's been very handy for the last few versions...

Guest Knightrider

Never heard of him nor seen him play and I wonder how many on here have too.

Croatia's 3-2 England was the last time I saw play.

I watched that game, them foreigners all sound and look the same to me though.

Love the sudden opinion that Man City are some untouchable monster club... they've done well for half a fucking season, most people outside of England probably don't even know they exist.

Reason Modric could come here is not because we've done well for half a season.

Its because on of his best mates already plays for us.

Not that I'd advocate spending £20m on him. :crazy2:

Tottenham, Man City and Chelsea chase Modric

By Patrick Nathanson

Last Updated: 11:11am GMT 27/12/200

The race to sign Croatia international Luca Modric intensified last night after the Dinamo Zagreb president arrived in London for talks with several clubs.

Zdravko Mamic will discuss Modric's future with Tottenham Hotspur, Manchester City and Chelsea as the clubs prepare for the opening of the transfer window on Tuesday.

Premier choice: Luca Modric is attracting great interest

Modric, 22, who orchestrated Croatia's victory over England at Wembley in the final Euro 2008 qualifier last month, will command a fee of around £20 million.

The midfielder, who can play down the left or in a more central role, has already spoken of his desire to play in the Premier League.

Arsenal sent a scout to watch Modric during Dinamo's Uefa Cup defeat by Hamburg at the start of this month, while Chelsea manager Avram Grant was in attendance at Croatia's game against Macedonia in November.

Chelsea have held recent talks with Dinamo and Tottenham have told the Croatian side that they are "very serious" about bidding for him, with Spurs coach Juande Ramos keen to start rebuilding his team.

Ramos is also tracking the Russian striker Aleksandr Kerhakov as speculation linking Dimitar Berbatov and Darren Bent with a move away from White Hart Lane grows.

It seems like it will become a Dutch auction, Man City are the favourites.  Chelsea are his least favoured destination because of his desire to play regularly (from his agent on a Croatian website).