Spurs sign Luka Modric

Delima
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Seems to be able to play in a variety of positions from what i've seen/read about him which could indicate he could play wide or central in a 3 or 4 man midfield. Which is good as flexibility is the name of the game going forward these days (see Man U and Arsenal for example - aside from the sitter(s) in midfield everyone rotates)

Still don't think we'll sign him though.

Give me optimism over pessimism every time. I haven't got my hopes up over this, but will obviously be very intrigued if it comes off. I've seen Modric play about 3 times, though, so the only thing that will excite me is his reputation, the price and the fact that we're looking at his apparent calibre of player this summer.

Wonder where he would play should he sign. Where Barton does now?

Direct replacement for Geremi in my book. Unless Barton gets sent down.

He prefers playing on the left, though. I was thinking he goes in for Barton on that side, and Joey moves to where Geremi has been playing. Unless he goes down, as you said.

I can't see him coming in and taking Owen's current role and I can't really see him playing in a 4-4-2 either.

Guest johnson293

Not sure if its been mentioned already, but there is another (tenuous) link with Modric and Newcastle already.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Viduka

Viduka and his wife, Ivana, have two sons: Joseph (born 2002) and Lucas (born September 2006). He is a second cousin of Croatian international Luka Modrić; Viduka's father and Modrić's mother are first cousins.

:celb:

I think Modric could play in the three, with a right to roam a little when we are in possestion.

I hope you are wrong about going back to 442.

Maybe I should rephrase that: Keegan would probably want the option to go back to 4-4-2 so he'll want a squad to cover all bases. FWIW, Modric is probably more suited to 4-3-3 in any case.

LUKA Modric is close to becoming a £20m-plus record signing for Newcastle United.

And should the megabucks deal for the left-sided playmaker go through, it is almost certain to spell the end for Charles N'Zogbia's St James's Park career.

Modric this week made a top-secret visit to the club's training ground with a view to a summer move to St James's Park.

Kevin Keegan hopes to make the Dinamo Zagreb midfielder the first permanent signing of his second spell as Newcastle manager.

Modric and Zdravko Mamic, vice-chairman of Dinamo, flew to Tyneside on Tuesday for talks with club officials, including technical director (football) Dennis Wise and Tony Jimenez, and Tyneside-based agent Peter Harrison.

The 22-year-old has been tracked by top four sides Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool in recent seasons.

But United look to have a stolen a march by making an early move to the highly-rated 22-year-old, who is keen to seal a move away from Zagreb before he takes part in the summer's European Championships.

Keegan is yet to bring a senior player to St James's Park on a permanent deal, with defender Lamine Diatta – signed initially until the end of the season – the only incoming player since he returned.

And Modric – who started his career with Bosnian side Zrinjski Mostar – fits the bill for Keegan.

He is looking for players to light up St James's Park, and Modric – who has struck three times for his country – has long been coveted by clubs in Spain and England.

However, Modric – who started for Croatia in both of their qualifying victories over England – will not be cheap, and the reported fee would make him the most expensive signings in the club's history, ahead of previous record signings Michael Owen and Alan Shearer.

And his wage demands could yet prove a stumbling block to any deal.

Meanwhile, Keegan is understood to be ready to let unsettled N'Zogbia – who has not even made the bench for the last four games – leave in the summer.

Guest LondonMag

http://www.sportal.hr/system/galleries/pics/080423/new-txt.jpg

"GoodBye lad, have a great time in Newcastle.give me a hug"

Guest johnson293

LUKA Modric is close to becoming a £20m-plus record signing for Newcastle United.

And should the megabucks deal for the left-sided playmaker go through, it is almost certain to spell the end for Charles N'Zogbia's St James's Park career.

Modric this week made a top-secret visit to the club's training ground with a view to a summer move to St James's Park.

Kevin Keegan hopes to make the Dinamo Zagreb midfielder the first permanent signing of his second spell as Newcastle manager.

Modric and Zdravko Mamic, vice-chairman of Dinamo, flew to Tyneside on Tuesday for talks with club officials, including technical director (football) Dennis Wise and Tony Jimenez, and Tyneside-based agent Peter Harrison.

The 22-year-old has been tracked by top four sides Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool in recent seasons.

But United look to have a stolen a march by making an early move to the highly-rated 22-year-old, who is keen to seal a move away from Zagreb before he takes part in the summer's European Championships.

Keegan is yet to bring a senior player to St James's Park on a permanent deal, with defender Lamine Diatta – signed initially until the end of the season – the only incoming player since he returned.

And Modric – who started his career with Bosnian side Zrinjski Mostar – fits the bill for Keegan.

He is looking for players to light up St James's Park, and Modric – who has struck three times for his country – has long been coveted by clubs in Spain and England.

However, Modric – who started for Croatia in both of their qualifying victories over England – will not be cheap, and the reported fee would make him the most expensive signings in the club's history, ahead of previous record signings Michael Owen and Alan Shearer.

Meanwhile, Keegan is understood to be ready to let unsettled N'Zogbia – who has not even made the bench for the last four games – leave in the summer.

Hmmm, a bit of Newspaper embelishemnt there?

NUFC.com claim Modric wasn't here.

Guest LondonMag

"Talk of Modric coming to Newcastle are wide of the mark"

"Got a phone call from an Old croatian friend,Zdravko Kolkic, who told me that Modric is not intersted in a move to Newcastle"

Keegan is yet to bring a senior player to St James's Park on a permanent deal, with defender Lamine Diatta signed initially until the end of the season the only incoming player since he returned.

And Modric who started his career with Bosnian side Zrinjski Mostar fits the bill for Keegan.

He is looking for players to light up St James's Park, and Modric who has struck three times for his country has long been coveted by clubs in Spain and England.

However, Modric who started for Croatia in both of their qualifying victories over England will not be cheap, and the reported fee would make him the most expensive signings in the club's history, ahead of previous record signings Michael Owen and Alan Shearer.

Meanwhile, Keegan is understood to be ready to let unsettled N'Zogbia who has not even made the bench for the last four games leave in the summer.

Hmmm, a bit of Newspaper embelishemnt there?

NUFC.com claim Modric wasn't here.

While the newspapers could be embelishing the truth I wouldn't rely too heavily on NUFC.com either. There info seems to have been a bit off the mark this season e.g. Woodgate set to sign, despite Keegan coming out and saying it was never close to happening.

Didnt nufc.com once say Deco was having a medical or something?

This transfer reminds me a bit like the Enrique transfer, out of the blue and the deal done in secrecy.

If this deal comes off and it was down to Wise then i think its another win for Newcastle against the rags who ridiculed us when we took wise onboard.

This transfer reminds me a bit like the Enrique transfer, out of the blue and the deal done in secrecy.

If this deal comes off and it was down to Wise then i think its another win for Newcastle against the rags who ridiculed us when we took wise onboard.

Didn't the Enrique deal stall for ages as well with no confirmation on our side for weeks?

Didn't the Enrique deal stall for ages as well with no confirmation on our side for weeks?

No was in the media on friday confirmed by Sam on Sunday