Joey Barton is a very naughty boy. Discuss.

Fugazi

Don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but he is going to be quality in the prison footy team. It will be like that film mean machine.

I really don't care what happens to him, he is rubbish and a thug. Offers the club absolutely nothing.

Bloody idiot. Agree with others that say Allardyce will have to take a lot of responsibility for this. He brought him in on the promise any bother wasn't going to rear its ugly head again. That lasted long.

can he play?  I'm not that in touch with the judicial system (probably another incorrect spelling from me)

Nope, he's going to miss at least the next two games.

Its actually now possible that if the police choose to keep him in custody, and he is then found guilty, he wont be able to play until after his Newcastle contract expires.

Wow ... this is unbelievable.

I actually thought things couldn't get worse than they have been recently, but this really does take the cake.

Even if he does return to the team anytime soon, how can he expect to get the respect or support of the fans back?

We're back on the front pages folks! Everyones favourite soap/drama.

Guest Ebolarama

He is already serving bail on the Dabo case isn't he?

I doubt getting arrested again forms part of the bail agreement.

I suspect that he will be in custody until he stands trial.

Entirely possible. It beggars belief that he can be so stupid as to get involved in that, with another court case for assault pending. I mean, it's properly gobsmacking. He's done it this time, that's for sure. Highly likely he'll be dropped in chokey now.

The magistrate who refused him bail said  “I also have to consider the safety of the public - you lashed out indiscriminately.”

How can she say that (ie `you're guilty') before he has even entered a plea, let alone had his case heard?

The magistrate who refused him bail said  I also have to consider the safety of the public - you lashed out indiscriminately.

How can she say that (ie `you're guilty') before he has even entered a plea, let alone had his case heard?

Probably trying to make a name for herself.

Guest Geordiesned

The magistrate who refused him bail said  I also have to consider the safety of the public - you lashed out indiscriminately.

Probably trying to make a name for herself.

No, she will simply be responding to the Case Summary (compiled by the Officer in the Case) that will have been read in court by the prosecutor. He or she will have given an indication of the evidence they have against Barton and the Magistrate obviously feels that it was sufficient to warrant him being remanded in custody.

Here's what kicked off then. . .

Jayne Hughes, prosecuting, had earlier told the court that Barton could clearly be seen on CCTV involved in a series of incidents in Church Street in Liverpool city centre at 5.30am yesterday.

She said Barton and his friends became involved in a confrontation with another group inside a McDonald’s restaurant and the manager asked both parties to leave.

Outside, she said, the alleged affray took place when an unknown man made a gesture towards the player.

She said there followed a final incident in which a man was allegedly punched to the ground by Barton.

She said: “The CCTV clearly shows Mr Barton involved in altercations with members of the public going about their business.

“He was seen pacing around Church Street and lashing out indiscriminately at people walking around and standing around.”

Alongside Barton, his brother, Andrew, 19, from Widnes, is charged with actual bodily harm and affray and Nadine Wilson, 27, from Huyton, Merseyside, who was also part of Barton’s group, is charged with common assault and affray.

Barton’s solicitor, Gwyn Lewis, said the 11-minute long incident was the result of a “great deal of provocation”.

He said: “Mr Barton was involved in an incident of which he is in no way proud.

“He was goaded. They recognised his face and he was an easy target for them.

“It is fair to say there was an enormous amount of provocation, although that is not a defence.”

Mr Lewis said the player was goaded because he did not sign for Everton FC this summer, over his playing abilities, and over the conviction of his half-brother Michael for the racist murder of Anthony Walker in 2005.

Mr Lewis said the final straw came when a girl in Barton’s group was assaulted in the street by a man.

He said: “That was the spark that lit the tinderbox and, there is no secret about it, he lost his temper.”

Mr Lewis offered the court a number of bail conditions including a police imposed curfew and the offer of residency at the Sporting Chance clinic in Hampshire.