"The Untouchables" (The Players)

Guest Knightrider
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Should have given all the players performance related contracts.

seeing as 50k+ a week straight up isn't enough.

They do. not that it matters.

Guest Oz Toon

Yes the Players need a kick in the behind, butt (double pun intended) a large measure of their obvious lack of effort stems from the managers inability to weld a reasonable team together with any sort of tactics and/or consistency. Seriously I'm doing my head in when players are continually played out of position - it must also drive them to distraction. Some one please tell me why Zoggy is still playing LB? And why Milner  (up until Duff returned) was considered a left midfielder instaed of Zoggy? And why has Smith, Geremi and Martins played wide right? At least put Troisi out there in his natural position (he needs to be given some game time).

It is quite obvious to most we hardly get behind any team these days since we lack both pace and invention. My solution would be Get Enrique at L/B zoggy Left midfield Milner right midfield with Troisi as a back up. Martins and Dukes or the croc Owen.

Beye, Caccapa and Taylor  and Enrique at the back and that only leaves us with the problem of an attacking midfielder to compliment Butt, and tell them to attack... Things are so bad in the attacking midfield position that Dyer is even looking a reasonable loss. So far for me, Smith, Barton and Emre have failed to impress as creative midfielders and would not be in the starting team. If Sam can not get things together by the end of the year I'd be looking to sack him, I doubt I can watch them play such crap football much more than that.

I have a feeling that if this were Souness or Roeder everyone would be laying the blame at them for not motivating the players, picking people who aren't performing, or making bad purchases.

Have to agree with a lot of things you said HTT, it's about time they earned their salary.

problem is, footballers know they havent got to do much to earn their money. its earned once they sign the contract. not one single club is prepared to make a player earn it because they will just go and get the money from someone else. Performance related pay is an excellent idea but it will never happen unless 1 big club decides to take the plunge

The sport itself breeds this kind of player attitude (certainly outside the top 4 whose players, on the whole, i feel are genuinely driven by wanting to succeed).

Guest interceptor

Yes I totally agree with the original post.

I am blaming the players far more than the manager. Big Sam has proved that, at the highest level with Bolton, he knows what he's doing....which is more than can for some of the players who have just become lazy and uncaring.

Give Big Sam the time to build the depth of squad he needs that allows him to sell off the crap.

There are some big egos in the dressing room, that is plain to see. I honestly still believe that Sam will sort them out.

We're nowhere near as far down the league as we were with Souness or Roeder though and, to be honest, I predicted we'd finish about 8th in Big Sam's first season anywhay, which is still very possible.

Duff - Players must take blame

Damien Duff admits that the Newcastle players must take the blame for the club's poor Christmas form.

The Magpies have taken just a single point from their two festive games against lowly Derby and Wigan, and have picked up maximum points in only two of their last 10 games.

Manager Sam Allardyce looked as though he had silenced the boo-boys when Newcastle put a four-game unbeaten run together, but he was again the target for abuse from the away support during the disappointing 1-0 defeat at Wigan on Boxing Day.

Republic of Ireland winger Duff, who has only recently returned to the side after a career-threatening foot injury, believes that the fans should take their frustration out on the players though, not the manager.

Blame

"We are behind him and we just want to put it right for him. He cannot take all the flak," he said.

"We are the ones on the pitch, so don't hammer him, hammer us.

"The players have to stand up and be counted as well.

"It's a massive club, but you cannot just blame the gaffer. We are the ones out on the pitch, so we are all in it together.

"As far as I'm concerned, he's a brilliant manager. I get on great with him.

"Up until recently, I was buzzing to get back on the pitch and starting working for him, so from that point of view, he has been great for me.

"Now we just need to knuckle down and start getting positive results, because we owe it to him."

Guest Knightrider

I have a feeling that if this were Souness or Roeder everyone would be laying the blame at them for not motivating the players, picking people who aren't performing, or making bad purchases.

Not me. I made similar posts under those two managers and even as far back as Sir Bobby when this place was called nufc.nu.

Nice of Duff to come out and back the manager, but actions speak louder than words. I'm not holding my breath...

Some of the worst performers have been players Allardyce has bought and coupled with his strange selections and bizarre tactics and formations which are clearly not working, I'd say the manager should take the lions share of the responsibility. I also think it's pretty bad him coming out and publicly lambasting the players. I also think Souness and Roeder were mainly to blame during their reigns too.

Not me. I made similar posts under those two managers and even as far back as Sir Bobby when this place was called nufc.nu.

Nice of Duff to come out and back the manager, but actions speak louder than words. I'm not holding my breath...

the only way to put things right. sick of hearing all this bollocks for the tv and press about what they are going to do to put things right

Guest Knightrider

Some of the worst performers have been players Allardyce has bought and coupled with his strange selections and bizarre tactics and formations which are clearly not working, I'd say the manager should take the lions share of the responsibility. I also think it's pretty bad him coming out and publicly lambasting the players. I also think Souness and Roeder were mainly to blame during their reigns too.

I agree with most of that tbh, but I'm talking about players being unable to do the basics here which a lot of our players have failed to do in many games which for me is down to them and no-one or nothing else. I'm just pig sick of them all.

I agree with most of that tbh, but I'm talking about players being unable to do the basics here which a lot of our players have failed to do in many games which for me is down to them and no-one or nothing else. I'm just pig sick of them all.

But they either aren't good enough to do that or they way we are playing doesn't allow them to perform to the best of their ability. Not their 'fault' either way. Players have dips in form but who is 'playing well'? It seems a bit coincidental that they're all struggling for it to be all down to them. I'm not saying sack Allardyce btw. I think we'd be back to square one with another couple of seasons written off. But the problems at present are (mainly) down to him imo. He needs to improve things and, hopefully, add some flair. Sooner rather than later too.

Face it. The root problem is the player just play for themselves only but not for the club. They only played well when there's doubts about their commitment or effort, but not when the team is in crisis.

As fans, our sights seem constantly trained on managers and chairman, while the majority of the playing staff seem to get a fairly easy ride (and bigger wages than managers, for the most part). All I'm asking is for people to expand their vision a bit in order to find out whether we believe that, on the whole, we get value for money out of our playing squad.

Do people agree that players get away with murder most times, when compared to managers?

Do people believe that the players have to take their share of blame for the events of the past few seasons (and even under Robson)?

Who are the main culprits? Who doesn't deserve to be lumped in to this?

Is it fair for a player to give less than their best if they don't like training/tactics/the manager?

Started this because while Allardyce does deserve a lot of stick, the blame does need to be shared around some of the underperforming and oft-overpaid players that we have and have had on the books here at NUFC.

I can't remember the last time I saw one of our players "give their bollocks" for the shirt - well actually, Scott Parker against Arsenal under Souness was probably the last shining example - and although I do understand that good application and attitude only gets you so far we don't get it enough from our players.

They showed against Arsenal that they CAN harry and hassle opposing teams for 90 minutes without exhausting themselves, but why the fuck should we, as fans, only get that a few times a season?

Surely giving 100% for this club is the minimum ask of our players and I feel personally let-down by the majority of them, who I feel usually couldn't give two shits.

Anyone else feel the same?

The players always have to shoulder some of the blame, but the fact of the matter is the manager carries the can for their failings. Simple as that.

FWIW, I think most of the players have given their all this year, they just don't know what the fuck they're supposed to be actually doing.

The players are untouchable because there is no accountability.

They get their wages paid for the entire duration of their contract, and if they turn shit, we are stuffed. These days as well, the money is enough compensation for not playing.

Also, while Sam Allardyce (and previous managers) probably work ridiculous hours and get barely any sleep, while getting paid less than the arseholes they manage (and who make or break them, most of the time) these players have to train perhaps once a day for a couple of hours (fucking run about and play football!) and then fill their hours with golf/shagging/shopping/playing consoles/doing recreational activities...

You can see the toll managing takes on the face of every man who has done the job in the Premiership for as long as I remember, it ages people to fuck because it's non-stop, high-pressure...

I'm probably just bitter, but it absolutely winds the fuck out of me.