Who on here seriously wants Shearer?

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Shearer is not for me.

He MIGHT end up a good manager, but we don't know that, and anyone who thinks caring abotu the club, and making the fans excited is the recipe for success is an idiot.

Summed it up nicely.  :razz:

Guest Oz Toon

Yeah I'd be happy with Shearer, I believe he would have a similar galvanising effect that Keegan did. He want the job, experience (apart from SBR) has got us where? I'd take Shearer over Mark Hughes, Didier Deschamps or Houllier even. It is clear the best managers will not come to Newcastle, so surround Shearer with wise heads and watch the transformation.

From the bbc.

Newcastle don't want me - Shearer

Alan Shearer says Newcastle United do not want him as their next manager because he lacks the experience.

The ex-Newcastle captain says he has the skills for the job, but the club had told him they wanted a seasoned campaigner to succeed Sam Allardyce.

"I got a call from the club to say they were looking for an experienced manager, which ruled me out," he said.

"If you want someone to galvanise the dressing room, get them organised and playing then I think I could do that."

Didier Deschamps had his odds shorten dramatically on Tuesday evening with some bookmakers installing the ex-Juventus manager as the new favourite for the vacant job.

Former Liverpool and France manager Gerard Houllier and Blackburn boss Mark Hughes have also been linked with the job.

And former Newcastle boss Keegan has also been mentioned in a possible "dream ticket" with Shearer as his number two.

Shearer is a firm fans' favourite having scored 148 goals in 303 matches in a 10-year career with Newcastle.

And the 37-year-old said that, despite not having managerial experience, he is ready to offer his services.

"If they want that and someone with experience then I'm not that man," he told The Sun.

"People have talked about me being a number two under an experienced manager.

"But if they are after an experienced manager, which they are, he will no doubt want his own man.

"All I would say is that if someone comes in and wants to talk to me, I would be willing to help in any way I can."

Guest sicko2ndbest

From the bbc.

Newcastle don't want me - Shearer

Alan Shearer says Newcastle United do not want him as their next manager because he lacks the experience.

The ex-Newcastle captain says he has the skills for the job, but the club had told him they wanted a seasoned campaigner to succeed Sam Allardyce.

"I got a call from the club to say they were looking for an experienced manager, which ruled me out," he said.

"If you want someone to galvanise the dressing room, get them organised and playing then I think I could do that."

Didier Deschamps had his odds shorten dramatically on Tuesday evening with some bookmakers installing the ex-Juventus manager as the new favourite for the vacant job.

Former Liverpool and France manager Gerard Houllier and Blackburn boss Mark Hughes have also been linked with the job.

And former Newcastle boss Keegan has also been mentioned in a possible "dream ticket" with Shearer as his number two.

Shearer is a firm fans' favourite having scored 148 goals in 303 matches in a 10-year career with Newcastle.

And the 37-year-old said that, despite not having managerial experience, he is ready to offer his services.

"If they want that and someone with experience then I'm not that man," he told The Sun.

"People have talked about me being a number two under an experienced manager.

"But if they are after an experienced manager, which they are, he will no doubt want his own man.

"All I would say is that if someone comes in and wants to talk to me, I would be willing to help in any way I can."

This is the most exciting bit, the fact he wouldnt mind starting out as number 2  :thup:

If he really wants to become a manager, it would have done him no harm applying for the Fulham/Derby/Palace/ etc jobs this season to get some experience.

Any why would the aforementioned clubs offer him a job? So that they can help train him for his ultimate destiny of managing us?

If he really wants to become a manager, it would have done him no harm applying for the Fulham/Derby/Palace/ etc jobs this season to get some experience.

Any why would the aforementioned clubs offer him a job? So that they can help train him for his ultimate destiny of managing us?

....in the same way that we would help Mark Hughes 'train' for HIS ultimate job of managing Man Ure..!??

Guest elbee909

Be interesting to hear what the irrational pro-Shearer lot ("why should we appoint him?", "Shearer!", "Yeah thanks") will be saying when we have a losing streak after the honeymoon period is over.  Probably still shout 'Shearer' like some automatic reflex.

He should really do his best to stay away from the press and put himself in scenarios where he has to comment on us. My opinion of him is really taking a dive through this episode. He seems to have a ridiculously false sense of importance regarding being able to manage/coach. He really needs to get involved with coaching or do an assistants job in a couple of foreign countries and show he really wants to know all about the game and that he has something to bring to the table. Managing a club in the PL is just so much more than being a figurehead or leader. Passion and commitment is nowhere near enough these days, real football nous and vision is required.

Guest Oz Toon

Elbee909... Have you ever heard of the word irony mate?

Those who are pro-shearer are irrational... Right mate, that's a very rational comment...

What is Shearer missing?

Experience - ok, but we have weighed the benefits of experience (Roeder was experienced, Daglish was experienced, hold on let's not forget Hullit and Souness they had experience as well as a few trophies) and while it is normally desirable to have a track record sometimes there are those you can take a chance on. So experience isn't everything as we have seen with KK and many others.

Shearer brings a big presence, draw power in the transfer market, authority amongst the player, a general galvanising effect and understanding of the club and heaps and heaps of goodwill that will allow him time to get things right either on his own or with others. You mat not agree but its not irrational.

He should really do his best to stay away from the press and put himself in scenarios where he has to comment on us. My opinion of him is really taking a dive through this episode. He seems to have a ridiculously false sense of importance regarding being able to manage/coach. He really needs to get involved with coaching or do an assistants job in a couple of foreign countries and show he really wants to know all about the game and that he has something to bring to the table. Managing a club in the PL is just so much more than being a figurehead or leader. Passion and commitment is nowhere near enough these days, real football nous and vision is required.

Buts its ok for JK to come waltzing over, take over the national side having not been involved with footy for a while and being miles away in California?

Guest elbee909

Elbee909... Have you ever heard of the word irony mate?

Those who are pro-shearer are irrational... Right mate, that's a very rational comment...

What is Shearer missing?

Experience - ok, but we have weighed the benefits of experience (Roeder was experienced, Daglish was experienced, hold on let's not forget Hullit and Souness they had experience as well as a few trophies) and while it is normally desirable to have a track record sometimes there are those you can take a chance on. So experience isn't everything as we have seen with KK and many others.

Shearer brings a big presence, draw power in the transfer market, authority amongst the player, a general galvanising effect and understanding of the club and heaps and heaps of goodwill that will allow him time to get things right either on his own or with others. You mat not agree but its not irrational.

As I was writing that post, I figured that the rational Shearer fans wouldn't mind that tagged to them... I meant the 'irrational Shearer fans' - of which there are many.  Not all of the fans of Shearer are irrational but there are a lot that are.  It's emotions they're led by rather than reason, it applies to many.

Shearer brings a big presence?  So would anyone who's right.  But then, Souness had a presence. 

Draw power in the transfer market?  Possibly, no more than any decent manager.  Mostly a domestic pull really.

Authority amongst the players?  Would think so, but no idea as to his man-management skills. 

A general galvanising effect?  Hard to gauge. 

An understanding of the club?  Perhaps if Fred were still chairman this would be more relevant but fair enough.  Though Roeder understood the club too.  Only gets you so far.

Heaps and heaps of goodwill?  Well, it seem there's a fair bit of fuzzy, impossible-to-gauge-stuff as 'presence', 'galvanising effect', 'goodwill' that are indeed irrational qualities when coming to appoint a manager.

I'll give you some of it, but it's not enough.  For someone to argue that experience isn't a good quality because we appointed experienced managers who failed; well, why not appoint a giraffe?

I've posted this on another thread as well because i'm self-righteous but.......

Shearer's lack of experience wouldn't necessarily be a problem when it comes to team affairs but with regards to building the club, developing the youth side, signing players etc. i do feel it would count against him. We need someone who has been involved in all aspects of football club development as well as team managment. Right now the job is all-encompassing and for that reason it is too much for Shearer to take on. That's why he is one for the future not for now. Lets get the club sorted from top to bottom before we get him in. That way he can concentrate solely on team affairs and delivering results on the pitch - something i'm sure we all feel he could do.

The last thing any of us would want is for Shearer to fail because the job in it's current state is too big for him. 

If the powers that be think we are safe from the drop then why not give Al the rest of the season to prove himself?

I think anyone who considers us "safe from the drop" when the Mackems are only 6 points behind and we still have to go to Arsenal and Liverpool, and play Man U/Chelsea at SJP would be counting their chickens.

If the powers that be think we are safe from the drop then why not give Al the rest of the season to prove himself?

I think anyone who considers us "safe from the drop" when the Mackems are only 6 points behind and we still have to go to Arsenal and Liverpool, and play Man U/Chelsea at SJP would be counting their chickens.

blueyes.gif

It makes me laugh, because you are talking as if you know better than him. You're not alone either. You, and the rest of us nobodies here on this board are much more aquainted to the world of football than the Premiership's greatest centre forward...  :)

Less nonsense people. "Real football and vision" - What? Real footbal? What on earth do you mean by that? As opposed to fake football?

I've posted this on another thread as well because i'm self-righteous but.......

Shearer's lack of experience wouldn't necessarily be a problem when it comes to team affairs but with regards to building the club, developing the youth side, signing players etc. i do feel it would count against him. We need someone who has been involved in all aspects of football club development as well as team managment. Right now the job is all-encompassing and for that reason it is too much for Shearer to take on. That's why he is one for the future not for now. Lets get the club sorted from top to bottom before we get him in. That way he can concentrate solely on team affairs and delivering results on the pitch - something i'm sure we all feel he could do.

The last thing any of us would want is for Shearer to fail because the job in it's current state is too big for him. 

I am not against the appointment of Shearer (I want the Messiah) but it's refreshing to see a sensible argument against. Thanks!

Shearer is not for me.

He MIGHT end up a good manager, but we don't know that, and anyone who thinks caring abotu the club, and making the fans excited is the recipe for success is an idiot.

Summed it up nicely.  :razz:

Based on that criterion, let's go for the most mercenary candidate.