Who on here seriously wants Shearer?

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sun headline tomorrow "Shearer:  I want Toon job" you think that would do us any favours?  You think all his old team mates are going to bust a gut to save Allardyce if they could get their mate in?

And if he's said in the recent past he's not interested, why does he need to say it again?

As for going to another club, I think he's got a connection with this club that would attract him more than any other.

You can say you're not interested inthe job without it being an absolute. Take Roeder for example.

Shearer probably knows his own mind a bit better than Roeder, and sticks to his word.  Traits that would make him a better manager than Roeder was.

Sun headline tomorrow "Shearer:  I want Toon job" you think that would do us any favours?  You think all his old team mates are going to bust a gut to save Allardyce if they could get their mate in?

And if he's said in the recent past he's not interested, why does he need to say it again?

As for going to another club, I think he's got a connection with this club that would attract him more than any other.

You can say you're not interested inthe job without it being an absolute. Take Roeder for example.

Shearer probably knows his own mind a bit better than Roeder, and sticks to his word.  Traits that would make him a better manager than Roeder was.

In fairness I have to agree with you on that - I'm convinced Roeder's attainment of 7th place was in no small part due to Shearer's influence on the team as co-pilot. I think results attest to that much, so maybe, just maybe, Shearer has what it takes to motivate and maintain discipline in a squad of players in a way Roeder clearly didn't at this level. That said, I would still prefer he went and managed Southampton or somesuch other club first.

In fairness I have to agree with you on that - I'm convinced Roeder's attainment of 7th place was in no small part due to Shearer's influence on the team as co-pilot. I think results attest to that much, so maybe, just maybe, Shearer has what it takes to motivate and maintain discipline in a squad of players in a way Roeder clearly didn't at this level. That said, I would still prefer he went and managed Southampton or somesuch other club first.

shearer,barnes and pearce would regularly take the training sessions during dalglish's reign aswell

Like when he said he would retire?

Like when he said he would retire?

He's probably learned from that particular mistake.

shearer,barnes and pearce would regularly take the training sessions during dalglish's reign aswell

No wonder we were playing shit then when you look at Barnes' and Pearce's managerial careers.

:thup:

i voted in 3 or 4 years, not sure why because i would love him now

i would love allardyce sacked, to get a new manager in who would appoint shearer as a coach, then he will learn the game and could progress to be our manager in a few years

i know shearer would do everything sam doesnt, which is:

1) play 'carpet football' as sir bobby says

2) attack every match

3) never play 1 upfront

4) always want to win every match

i hope he either manages a lower league club or comes in as a coach to learn from a manager as long as its not sam allardyce because his tactics are wank

i would love allardyce sacked, to get a new manager in who would appoint shearer as a coach, then he will learn the game and could progress to be our manager in a few years

2) attack every match

3) never play 1 upfront

i hope he either manages a lower league club or comes in as a coach to learn from a manager as long as its not sam allardyce because his tactics are wank

:uglystupid2:

2) attack every match

3) never play 1 upfront

That's just brilliant, son. Brilliant.

2) attack every match

3) never play 1 upfront

i hope he either manages a lower league club or comes in as a coach to learn from a manager as long as its not sam allardyce because his tactics are w***

kev makes a late desperate lunge for the "worst poster" votes.

too late kidda

2) attack every match

3) never play 1 upfront

i hope he either manages a lower league club or comes in as a coach to learn from a manager as long as its not sam allardyce because his tactics are w***

kev makes a late desperate lunge for the "worst poster" votes.

too late kidda

love you too  :smitten:

Bit of long one:

Should Stoke knock Newcastle out of the FA Cup this evening and Sam Allardyce lose his job, the pressure to replace him with Alan Shearer as manager will be regarded as irresistible. It should nevertheless be resisted. Shearer is not a manager and never has been and a surprising number of the club's supporters are aware of that, as I discovered after appearing to work on the assumption, in a BBC Radio Five Live programme last Sunday, that they constituted nothing more than a vast horde of star-worshippers.

The emails that ensued were instructive. They made it clear that even the 20,000 who turned up at St James' Park 2½ years ago to welcome Michael Owen almost as a messiah were not wholly representative, and that my belief that Newcastle have suffered from poor stewardship by comparison with, say, Everton, who have picked a good manager in David Moyes and given him time to build with the minimum of interference from the media or anyone else, is widely shared.

Of course we should all like to go back to the days when Kevin Keegan, with Sir John Hall's backing, presided over some of the Premier League's most exciting football, although even then there was an element of frustration in the silverware department; it was forever being pointed out that Newcastle under Keegan had won nothing but hearts, despite the record-breaking purchase of Shearer from Blackburn. But the alchemy of that period cannot be repeated. Newcastle need to go back to basics. The trouble is - and it applies to so many clubs these days - that we cannot be sure the people in charge know what the basics are.

Outsiders, at least, are hardly convinced by what we see of the owner, Mike Ashley, the rich man in the replica strip who sits among the fans; he seems forever to be engaging in a stunt. Maybe this is unfair. Maybe it is more important that the day-to-day running of the club is in the hands of the affable Chris Mort, with whom observers have been impressed. But the undermining of Allardyce, whom the previous regime of Freddy Shepherd appointed eight months ago, and the unchecked tide of speculation about Shearer - ''friends" say he is ready and waiting for the call - are bound to have affected performances. When Allardyce, after a third consecutive League defeat, picks up The Daily Telegraph and reads that Alan Hansen, whom we can see cheerfully sitting next to Shearer on television most weekends, believes his fellow pundit would ''give Newcastle back their self-respect", he must feel that the press as well as the BBC have it in for him.

Should Allardyce be given a fair chance, which might be roughly defined as a couple of years in which to emulate his success with Bolton? The sceptical view was reinforced by events at St James' last Wednesday, when Newcastle were beaten by Manchester City; Sven-Goran Eriksson has not required time to put City near the top of the table, although he has been given money and, to put it mildly, a sense of common purpose with the club's Thai owner, Thaksin Shinawatra. A carpetbagger Thaksin may be - he turned to City only after failing to buy Liverpool - but, for the time being, City have their John Hall and optimism is boundless.

At Newcastle, meanwhile, Shearer's return has the air of an inexorable process. I doubt if anything could avert it now. If even Jose Mourinho were tempted to forsake the prospect of Barcelona for Tyneside - the former Chelsea manager is free to operate in the Premier League again from the start of next season - people would immediately envisage Shearer joining him as right-hand man in a ''dream team".

How tedious. How off-putting to any truly eminent coach. So Newcastle have at some stage to find a solution, whether it involves Allardyce or not, that harnesses such talent as Shearer may possess - and his gigantic local status - without distracting the players from their obligation to improve.

If Allardyce were to go this week, we may expect notions of a Shearer regime swiftly to emerge and one would probably entail his friend and erstwhile manager Kenny Dalglish coming back to the club as some sort of general manager or director of something or other, as at Blackburn. It would be harmless, and helpful to Shearer in judging players. But there is more to management than sorting out the wheat from the chaff and I think the best move Shearer could make would be to turn to another old comrade, Mike Newell, whose managerial career had him marked out for the top level until, two years ago, he courageously exposed the habit of illicit payments into which Lord Stevens was to conduct an inquiry on behalf of the Premier League and, upon appearing subsequently to ask more particular questions of his own club, Luton, was sacked (Luton have since been brought to book by the FA).

After winning a Premiership medal with Blackburn in 1995 - 10 of his 12 appearances were as a substitute, mainly for Shearer or Chris Sutton - Newell obtained his first managerial experience, as did Brian Clough, at Hartlepool. Shortly after he had gone to Luton in the summer of 2003, the club went into administration, but despite the loss of several players Newell took only two years to have them promoted from the equivalent of League One as runaway champions. Not only that; he promptly established them in the top half of the Championship. And he did it all while selling £7.5 million worth more players than he bought. At nearly 43, he has seriously damaged the assumption that England has stopped producing bright young managers.

It was all too predictable that Newell should suffer for his candour about bungs. But he has proved himself the sort of character Newcastle and their new manager, should they take the plunge with Shearer, will need. While Shearer took the bows, Newell could do the job.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml;jsessionid=A2XF3FJ4H5MLNQFIQMFSFFOAVCBQ0IV0?xml=/sport/2008/01/06/sfnpad106.xml&page=2

Shearer is an intelligent guy with leadership qualities. On TV, he analyses games in a shrewd way, so potentially he's a very good manager. The thing that worries me is he comes across as a small 'c' conservative bloke who might not be an innovator. I sense that he's a believer in a traditional English 4-4-2 and I don't know how receptive he is to new ideas.

I don't think he wants to manage at the moment because he wants to spend time with his family. But one question he has to consider is - would a big Premiership club want to take a risk on someone who's got nothing on his CV, no matter what his potential?

Guest Knightrider

I think if Alan Shearer told the world he was ready to become a manager now, there would be no shortage of offers in the Premiership and beyond.

I rate Newell. And yes if we lack imagination to catastrophic levels and appoint Shearer then Newell would be ideal help for him.

Shearer used to say when he got his first managerial job Ray Hartford would be his number 2 but with Ray passing away that can no longer happen. Alan knows he needs an experienced hand next to him as number 2.

I rate Newell. And yes if we lack imagination to catastrophic levels and appoint Shearer then Newell would be ideal help for him.

Can I ask you why?

The man took over a team 16 points clear in League 2 and they just scraped promotion.

He's also an absolute wanker, a big pisshead, not exactly good for setting examples to his players is he?  :rolleyes:

Can I ask you why?

The man took over a team 16 points clear in League 2 and they just scraped promotion.

He's also an absolute wanker, a big pisshead, not exactly good for setting examples to his players is he?  :rolleyes:

''After winning a Premiership medal with Blackburn in 1995 - 10 of his 12 appearances were as a substitute, mainly for Shearer or Chris Sutton - Newell obtained his first managerial experience, as did Brian Clough, at Hartlepool. Shortly after he had gone to Luton in the summer of 2003, the club went into administration, but despite the loss of several players Newell took only two years to have them promoted from the equivalent of League One as runaway champions. Not only that; he promptly established them in the top half of the Championship. And he did it all while selling £7.5 million worth more players than he bought. At nearly 43, he has seriously damaged the assumption that England has stopped producing bright young managers.

It was all too predictable that Newell should suffer for his candour about bungs. But he has proved himself the sort of character Newcastle and their new manager, should they take the plunge with Shearer, will need. While Shearer took the bows, Newell could do the job.''

I don't really want Shearer or Newell hence the thread. But Newell strikes me as a good counterpoint to Shearer. No biggie.

Totally ignored my point about his time at Hartlepool, excellent.  :thup:

I thought so to.  :thup:

You've heard a few rumours about Newell, have a banana.  :razz:

A few rumours?

Nar I never witnessed Mike Newell pissed up starting fights and that did I?  :rolleyes:

I also was never familiar with him being banned from most boozers in the town, no I just heard that as well.  :rolleyes: