Cheer up - there is SOME good news...

Dave

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/7162622.stm

Owen closing on Newcastle return

Newcastle United have confirmed that England striker Michael Owen could return to action before the end of the festive season programme.

Owen has not played since tearing a thigh muscle while playing for England against Austria 16 November.

But Magpies manager Sam Allardyce has revealed the 28-year-old could feature from the substitutes' bench against either Chelsea or Manchester City.

Allardyce said: "He could play soon. We will consider using him sparingly."

Newcastle play Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on Saturday, before hosting Manchester City at St James' Park on 2 January.

"It is a balance of the fact that he has been out for a number of weeks without any match practice," added Allardyce.

"We could see Michael in action, but inbetween the next three games we have no chance to put on a behind-closed-doors game to give him the chance to get the feel of playing in an 11 v 11.

"At the end of the day, when fit and given the opportunity to join the squad and make a contribution, with a goalscorer like him, it could be a major one for us."

Meanwhile, Magpies winger Damien Duff has admitted the players must take responsibility for the club's poor form.

The pressure on Allardyce intensified after his team managed to take just a single point from their matches against struggling Derby and Wigan over Christmas.

But the Republic of Ireland international said: "It's a massive club, but you cannot just blame the gaffer. We are the ones out on the pitch, so we are all in it together.

"We are right behind him [Allardyce] and we just want to put it right for him. He cannot take all the flak.

"We are the ones on the pitch - so don't hammer him, hammer us. The players have to stand up and be counted as well."

Kev will be ecstatic. :lol:

Guest Stephen927

To get him to play well, means to play the ball on the deck, and with two genuine wingers in a 4-4-2. Won't suit this 4-5-1 malarkey.

Guest Knightrider

Owen should actually thrive in this team, because he's a scraps type of goal poacher these days. I.e. does fuck all for 85 minutes but likely to put a chance away if one or two come his way. I mean he scored a shit load for England and the service under Sven at times was as shocking as what we're seeing with wor lot.

Guest Knightrider

Btw had Owen played against derby, I think we'd have won as a lot of balls broke loose inside the box. He'd have tucked one or two of those loose balls away.

Guest Anders Rye

Hope he will play Owen and Smith up front, and not Owen Viduka, because Viduka and Owen reminds a lot like each other, they don't move a lot, more like stand and wait. Smith can do the run for them.

Ashley Cole will failed to get his ban overturned, so the back 4 has 3 of its regulars missing. Mind you the replacement are canny.

Oh & then there this

Sunderland have held talks with Blackburn midfielder Robbie Savage and hope to buy him for around £1.5million - Various.

Btw had Owen played against derby, I think we'd have won as a lot of balls broke loose inside the box. He'd have tucked one or two of those loose balls away.

As I agreed with someone in the match thread, we would have comfortably beaten Derby had Owen played.