How can Big Sam win you over?

Guest Knightrider

So far he isn't doing well at all on all the things I thought he'd bring with him from Bolton, namely: -

Make losing to sides below us a rarity.

Have the team beat top four sides occasionally.

Make the team organised.

Make the team good at set pieces.

Things he could try: -

Stop playing defensive, negative football, especially against crap teams.

Play N'Zogbia on the left wing, Viduka up front with Martins (or Owen) and Milner on the right wing.

...apart from the obvious return to tactical orthodoxy I'd like him to ask Mort and MA for a bundle of cash in Jan and ask loudly this time without the silly mind games in the papers.

We need some real quality on the park, a couple in Jan would mean this season might not be a total loss.

Get results is the obvious answer.

All parties concerned want the same.

The team needs to be fit and buzzing. He is supposedly utilising his stats to find who is up for this.

He needs to axe players who cannot do it for 90mins. Some of our players do not seem to have the energy levels required for the top flight.

They need to be swarming all over the opposition. (Wigan can do this it seems).

This is before we even begin to look at the skill levels.

He needs to get as many players in the team who can go past an opponent with the ball.

This starts at the back so it is ok to persist with Rozenthal and play Zog there too.

After all it is easier to get a skillfull player to show commitment and energy for tackling but not to get a hoofer to show flair going forward.

For our part we need to get behind the team and show our dissent only outside of the 90mns on matchday not during it.

If he does not start getting results I think a nightmare scenario could soon develop. The Derby and Portsmouth games screamed of a relegation team to me.

Doug.

The day before every game now, I think to myself "Sam must have realised by now whats going wrong. Tomorrow we will see the changes that will begin to bring around some improvements".

He will win me over when I see a team starting that looks like he has realised where his mistakes have been made (and sticks with that same starting 11 - injury pending - for at least 5 games)

I want to see consistency

he could also stop being a petty man and talk to the BBC after the match so that people watching MOTD can get an odea of what his thoughts are.

When he has made Newcastle successful, then he can pick and choose who he wants to talk to

he could also stop being a petty man and talk to the BBC after the match so that people watching MOTD can get an odea of what his thoughts are.

When he has made Newcastle successful, then he can pick and choose who he wants to talk to

I must say, I find this frequently made comment bewildering. I honestly couldn't give two fucks about hearing cliched sound-bites from managers or players post-match.

what can he do to win you over?

Firstly I really couldn't care less if we go to Wigan and get beaten. Or Derby, Sunderland, Reading or indeed any other tinpot Premiership club that we've made to look good recently. Sh#t happens, sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. You take it on the chin, you whinge and bitch about it a bit but you move on. That's football.

What I DO care about is the performances. The insipid, turgid, dross we've been served up with is completely unacceptable. Going to places like these with the express intention of getting a well-fought 0-0 is disgusting. Did you see Man U going to Sunderland and playing for a 0-0 on boxing day? Did you sh#te. OK, we're not Man United and I'm not comparing our relative squad strengths, only our relative intentions. But West Ham stuck 5 past Derby recently when they went there with the right mindset - I can't recall an away game this year where we've managed 5 shots, never mind 5 goals. And home games have often been little better.

We made these teams look good by sitting back and inviting them onto us. We offered nothing going forward as we were too busy being terrified about what these relegation-fodder teams might do to us. It didn't take long for them to realise this, so they felt safe attacking us knowing we had no will (Or ability due to the formation we went out with) to go down their end to put one past them. The results were, largely, predictable.

So what can Sam do?

Attack. Send out a team designed to rip the opposition apart. Show us that with you at the helm we're capable of making teams worry about what we're going to do rather than the other way round. If it fails, it fails. I honestly won't mind. But just send out a team to scare the opposition with the way we go about things and create a hatful of chances.

And if by some miracle you can do this by playing 4-5-1 with N'Zogbia at left back, Milner on the left wing, Smith at defensive midfield, Martins god-knows where and Geremi as some kind of right-sided midfielder then I'll be the first to take my hat off to you and say "Well done". However it is my uneducated opinion that the aforesaid formation will produce nothing like that in a million years. So I'll go further and make some tactical suggestions that might help. Play 4-4-2, stick Enrique at left back, Milner on at right wing and N'Zogbia on at left wing, with Martins and either Viduka or Smith up front. Have Emre in the middle alongside Butt.

Martins, Milner and N'Zogbia simply must play, and play in their correct positions, as irrespecive of anyone's thoughts about their respective abilities they're the only players we have in our squads who are actually capable of beating a man. But play that lineup, in that formation and with instructions to get at the opposition, beat their man and get the ball in the box and support the forwards and I assure you everyone will be a damned sight happier. But feel free to perservere with 5 men out of position in a 4-5-1 if you want, just don't go crying when it fails yet again to produce a single shot on target and you (Rightly, IMO) get your ass fired.

Firstly I really couldn't care less if we go to Wigan and get beaten. Or Derby, Sunderland, Reading or indeed any other tinpot Premiership club that we've made to look good recently. Sh#t happens, sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. You take it on the chin, you whinge and bitch about it a bit but you move on. That's football.

What I DO care about is the performances. The insipid, turgid, dross we've been served up with is completely unacceptable. Going to places like these with the express intention of getting a well-fought 0-0 is disgusting. Did you see Man U going to Sunderland and playing for a 0-0 on boxing day? Did you sh#te. OK, we're not Man United and I'm not comparing our relative squad strengths, only our relative intentions. But West Ham stuck 5 past Derby recently when they went there with the right mindset - I can't recall an away game this year where we've managed 5 shots, never mind 5 goals. And home games have often been little better.

We made these teams look good by sitting back and inviting them onto us. We offered nothing going forward as we were too busy being terrified about what these relegation-fodder teams might do to us. It didn't take long for them to realise this, so they felt safe attacking us knowing we had no will (Or ability due to the formation we went out with) to go down their end to put one past them. The results were, largely, predictable.

So what can Sam do?

Attack. Send out a team designed to rip the opposition apart. Show us that with you at the helm we're capable of making teams worry about what we're going to do rather than the other way round. If it fails, it fails. I honestly won't mind. But just send out a team to scare the opposition with the way we go about things and create a hatful of chances.

And if by some miracle you can do this by playing 4-5-1 with N'Zogbia at left back, Milner on the left wing, Smith at defensive midfield, Martins god-knows where and Geremi as some kind of right-sided midfielder then I'll be the first to take my hat off to you and say "Well done". However it is my uneducated opinion that the aforesaid formation will produce nothing like that in a million years. So I'll go further and make some tactical suggestions that might help. Play 4-4-2, stick Enrique at left back, Milner on at right wing and N'Zogbia on at left wing, with Martins and either Viduka or Smith up front. Have Emre in the middle alongside Butt.

Martins, Milner and N'Zogbia simply must play, and play in their correct positions, as irrespecive of anyone's thoughts about their respective abilities they're the only players we have in our squads who are actually capable of beating a man. But play that lineup, in that formation and with instructions to get at the opposition, beat their man and get the ball in the box and support the forwards and I assure you everyone will be a damned sight happier. But feel free to perservere with 5 men out of position in a 4-5-1 if you want, just don't go crying when it fails yet again to produce a single shot on target and you (Rightly, IMO) get your ass fired.

:thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup:

I must say, I find this frequently made comment bewildering. I honestly couldn't give two fucks about hearing cliched sound-bites from managers or players post-match.

I know what you say about the sound-bite bit.

For me I would rather he came out to speak so to end his petty feud and also to be a man and front things when they have gone wrong because it gives him a great excuse not to have to explain situations like we find oursleves in now.

The only way he can win me over is to hold his hands up and admit that we have been playing shit negative football at his behest and that he agrees it is shit and wants to put an end to it by quitting now and refusing to take any compensation package at all.

For me I would rather he came out to speak so to end his petty feud and also to be a man and front things when they have gone wrong because it gives him a great excuse not to have to explain situations like we find oursleves in now.

To be honest, if I was arsed in the slightest, I'd just watch it on the Sky Sports website or something. I also don't think his feud is particularly petty with him and his son having been basically accused of criminal activity. Hasn't bothered Sir Alex.

So what can Sam do?

:thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup:

Give it time...

To be honest, if I was arsed in the slightest, I'd just watch it on the Sky Sports website or something. I also don't think his feud is particularly petty with him and his son having been basically accused of criminal activity. Hasn't bothered Sir Alex.

I just think from a PR perspective, when we need as much positivity around the club as possible, we shouldnt be falling out with TV channels.

i know from a personal perspective, it must have hurt him and his family a great deal so I can see why he doing what he is doing but I just wish its wasnt our manager refusing to talk to them

Hasn't bothered Sir Alex.

That, really.

If Sam can produce the results on the pitch then who will care? The reason we want him to speak is because we want him called to account for the 90 minutes of shambolic, drab and tedious meanderings of our players that we've just paid £35 to watch, not because we like the sound of his dulcet tones on the airwaves.

Get us playing with verve and a swagger and I won't care if I never see or hear from the man ever again.

Guest Brewcastle

Play players in position, go back to basics, play some football.

Agree.

Win me over? Score more goals than the teams we meet. I could even tolerate losing some games, if Sam could show me that he seriously try to win them. But again; back to the tactics. He looks clueless. And so far he's not able to tell us why he plays players out of position etc. , I guess he's clueless  :smug:.

So what can Sam do?

Completely agree.

So what can Sam do?

Completely agree.

Agreed as well.

Stop being a retard and play the players in their true positions then if that doesn't work we can blame the players and not you.....easy

Guest Geordiesned

So what can Sam do?

Spot on. But as you said it's an "uneducated opinion". How dare us stupid fans voice our views on matters that are clearly far to complicated for us!

come out public and explain his tactics,just let us know what his masterplan is.

feck we might agree with him.

but he needs to communicate or he's finished.

an absolute AMEN to this!    if he's going to make infuriating, mysterious decisions about tactics, line-ups & players (out of)positions

then throw the fans a bone and tell them what you're on about.  enormous samuel (although he does seem to be getting thinner) keeps claiming that he has the confidence in himself to perservere in the face of adversity etc.  then he ought to tell us why enrique can't get a minute at LB, & zog can't seem to get one in his natural position.  if his reasoning is so sound about these simple things, then put it out there for us to admire!  :rant: