Chelsea 2 - 1 Newcastle United - 29/12/07 - post match reaction from page 28

Dave

I just can't see the merit in changing the personnel and setup so drastically from game to game, it really confuses me.

It's been a pretty busy period so maybe it was to keep the team relatively fresh.

Then again, the team that played away to Wigan was so pathetic that the team needed a bit of a shakeup too.

Both fair points, but it's hardly going to help the team gel is it?

You surely can't be suggesting that we play the same personnel / formation as away to Wigan just to give some consistency though?

If they play that dire we need to make changes. If we don't change things then nothing will change. I think the problem is the formation though, and a 4-5-1 is not going to be productive. Ever.

It's not the 4-5-1/4-3-3 that is the problem though is it. It's the way the players move the ball and carry out their roles within the formation.

I just can't see the merit in changing the personnel and setup so drastically from game to game, it really confuses me.

It's been a pretty busy period so maybe it was to keep the team relatively fresh.

Then again, the team that played away to Wigan was so pathetic that the team needed a bit of a shakeup too.

Both fair points, but it's hardly going to help the team gel is it?

You surely can't be suggesting that we play the same personnel / formation as away to Wigan just to give some consistency though?

If they play that dire we need to make changes. If we don't change things then nothing will change. I think the problem is the formation though, and a 4-5-1 is not going to be productive. Ever.

It's not the 4-5-1/4-3-3 that is the problem though is it. It's the way the players move the ball and carry out their roles within the formation.

Personally I'm not a fan of 4-5-1. I can't call it 4-3-3 because it's not - The wingers (Milner and Martins) have not been playing in any different a position to what they'd play in as wingers under 4-4-2. But yes I do agree that the 4-5-1 could be implemented better and maybe we could turn it into a 4-3-3 if the players showed more invention and flair.

But again, for me, that's down at least in part to the manager's instructions to the players. And it's definitely down in part to the fact that half our outfield players are normally playing in the wrong positions.

Guest prestonj1989

Milner played good ball to Duff who made good run but delayed the ball into the box too long. We look better team so far.