Chelsea 2 - 1 Newcastle United - 29/12/07 - post match reaction from page 28

Dave

From sky sports

"The visitors had chances to win the game as they battled to salvage their reputations after a dismal festive period, before Kalou stole in to win the points five minutes from time."

"In the 14th minute, it was Chelsea's turn to survive a real scare when Butt found Obafemi Martins but the Newcastle striker delayed his shot and he allowed Alex to get back in time to deal with the danger"

For the sell Given retards

"Four minutes later Newcastle were thankful to Given for keeping them on level terms. The United goalkeeper was forced to punch the ball to safety after Juliano Belletti's cross had found Kalou in space in the penalty area.

The Ivory Coast striker helped Given to pull off a fine save by firing his shot straight at him.

It took an even better save from Given to keep the home side out seconds later. "

"Mikel John Obi danced past two challenges on the edge of the penalty before hitting a shot that deflected off Butt.

The ball appeared to have looped over Given but the United keeper somehow twisted his body before pushing the ball away with his right hand. "

"Seconds later Chelsea could have restored their advantage when a cross from Wright-Phillips was headed goal wards by Kalou only for the impressive Given to save."

From sky sports

"The visitors had chances to win the game as they battled to salvage their reputations after a dismal festive period, before Kalou stole in to win the points five minutes from time."

Mate I watched the game. Duff was denied a certain goal by some great defending at the back post and Martins had a half chance early on. That was our lot. At the other end, Shay had a lot of work to do. We played ok, but let's not start pretending we were cutting Chelsea apart at the back.

We could have had 3, Oba should have done far better with his one on one, if he had of ran on and shot with his right he prob would have scored. Also Duff could have easily scored. Just hard luck, im happy we scored and could have won, lets be serious, we all thought we were in for a pasting and we could have won.

From sky sports

Mate I watched the game. Duff was denied a certain goal by some great defending at the back post and Martins had a half chance early on. That was our lot. At the other end, Shay had a lot of work to do. We played ok, but let's not start pretending we were cutting Chelsea apart at the back.

Wullie's turning gloomy. Big Sam's done for. :lol:

The team was postive today, as they were against Blackburn, Arsenal and, for the most part, Birmingham. I also thought that they played some good football against Derby believe it or not. It just makes the negative approach against Wigan all the more hard to fathom. There are definite signs of hope imo. The offside decision for their goal is definitely one of the worst I have ever seen.

From sky sports

:razz:  Seriously though, we're getting expectations lowered by our away performances. Same as at Blackburn, where we were better but still well beaten, some people go on like we were Holland 1974 in that game, masterful but cruelly denied the victory.

From sky sports

:razz:  Seriously though, we're getting expectations lowered by our away performances. Same as at Blackburn, where we were better but still well beaten, some people go on like we were Holland 1974 in that game, masterful but cruelly denied the victory.

Due respect Wullie and I agree that we are clutching at straws compared to the Keegan or Robson eras, but we were not well beaten at Blackburn - the scoreline was a travesty of the balance of play.

From sky sports

Due respect Wullie and I agree that we are clutching at straws compared to the Keegan or Robson eras, but we were not well beaten at Blackburn - the scoreline was a travesty of the balance of play.

A travesty? I was disappointed not to get something at Blackburn but I certainly didn't think we were robbed. Blackburn deserved those three points more than us, imo. I think if it had been the other way round, us winning at home to Blackburn, we'd have felt like we deserved it.

i cant believe pople are whinging so much about a 2-1 defeat to Chelsea.

End of the world stuff tbh.  This forum reads like the book of revelations sometimes.

I find a problem with this forum often is that a lot of people like to take results in isolation. Sam got a lot right today, but it was the same old story tactically in the end. We invited unnecessary pressure when we had them rocked back and not only let Chelsea off the hook but there was only one team going to win it in the last 20, when 15 minutes prior to that, their fans were booing them and they were looking very rattled.

I'd have said that if we'd got the point, which would nevertheless have been an excellent result, albeit against one of the weakest Chelsea league sides in memory, another reason not to be scared of them.

Sam is still not learning these lessons. For such a strong character, he isn't half a coward when it comes to trying to win games.

Quite the opposite IMO. 

I think the problem is the shite results and performances we have been served up in the last 6-7 weeks mean that we almost needed at least a point from today, having not achieved anything from the games we should have been picking up points from. 

To have got so close and still not achieved it is what is pissing people off

i cant believe pople are whinging so much about a 2-1 defeat to Chelsea.

End of the world stuff tbh.  This forum reads like the book of revelations sometimes.

I find a problem with this forum often is that a lot of people like to take results in isolation. Sam got a lot right today, but it was the same old story tactically in the end. We invited unnecessary pressure when we had them rocked back and not only let Chelsea off the hook but there was only one team going to win it in the last 20, when 15 minutes prior to that, their fans were booing them and they were looking very rattled.

I'd have said that if we'd got the point, which would nevertheless have been an excellent result, albeit against one of the weakest Chelsea league sides in memory, another reason not to be scared of them.

Sam is still not learning these lessons. For such a strong character, he isn't half a coward when it comes to trying to win games.

Quite the opposite IMO. 

I think the problem is the shite results and performances we have been served up in the last 6-7 weeks mean that we almost needed at least a point from today, having not achieved anything from the games we should have been picking up points from. 

To have got so close and still not achieved it is what is pissing people off

Indeed, that was partly what I meant when I said too many people take results in isolation without looking at the general state of play.

Guest Toonsparky

Just heard Avram  Grant on BBC and guess what ? the blind f*cker didn't see the offside 'goal'. And I thought they only lost their foreskins , not their friggin sight!!

Just heard Avram  Grant on BBC and guess what ? the blind f*cker didn't see the offside 'goal'. And I thought they only lost their foreskins , not their friggin sight!!

Yeah, predictable as ever. Shame not every manager has the honesty and integrity of someone like Steve Coppell for instance.

I thought today was a big positive, Milner on the right and Faye as DM was great to see. Beye is gonna be an absolute legend here imo. Hopefully in Jan we'll get a LB, a few creative players and a striker, playing Smith in midfield is a huge waste of time.

I'd like to see SA try 4-4-2 against Mancity and really go for it, it would of been o so easy for our players not to give a toss and fold like a pack of cards today but credit to them they gave Chelsea at SB a real good go and would of got a point if it wasnt for a blind linesman, SA has been under a lot of shit lately but until the next game he can hold his head up, we need to see more improvement against mancity and really give the crowd something to sing about.

I think the offside was so clear that I hope everyone, player, fans is counting this like a positiv draw (now that it will not help us in the PL but anyway).

I must say I liked the line-up really much, especielly Faye as dm. Liked Duff and Milner when they chanced side alot and Martins runs. Alot to take with us BUT we have seen us faild before.

The players must be reallt hungry for the upcoming games and show spirit! Would´t hurt if we could start pass and contribute better too.

I thought today was a big positive, Milner on the right and Faye as DM was great to see. Beye is gonna be an absolute legend here imo.

Absolutely. Bringing on another player to go left-back so as to push Zog up, too. But it only matters if we do the same thing in the next game (though i'd be tempted to put Faye back in the backline).

I thought today was a big positive, Milner on the right and Faye as DM was great to see. Beye is gonna be an absolute legend here imo.

Absolutely. Bringing on another player to go left-back so as to push Zog up, too. But it only matters if we do the same thing in the next game (though i'd be tempted to put Faye back in the backline).

I'd stick with the same back 4 tbh, we need to have a settled side and stop changing every week. Having Faye in midfield gives us a bit of power and extra protection in front of the back 4, I'd drop butt for Emre and drop Smith for viduka and have the good old 4-4-2.

---------beye-----taylor-----cacapa-----zoggy

---------milner----faye----emre----duff

-----------------martins-----viduka

something like that

Thinking back to the posts pre-match, most of us expected a right battering.

I think we should try and take as many positives out of this as possible and accept that had it not been for a scandalous decision, we most likely would have got a point.

Chelsea are quality, despite their injury problems. we now have to take the positives from today and make sure they are used to our advantage against Man City.

Absaloutly gutted on the way back home like, should have got something from the game.

Thaught we played well second half and looked comfortable on the ball.

Faye held the team together today and looked solid, N'Zogbia was a massive threat on the wing and is wasted at left back. Much better than Duff who everytime he got the ball today he wanted to go backwards.

Great effort from the lads compared to recent performances  :thup:

Plenty of effort today, but in the end, Chelsea were better. It was a relief to see that the players are still battling.

Weird decision for their second goal. I can only assume that the linesman thought that the ball had come off one of our players rather than Pizzaro.