Chelsea 2 - 1 Newcastle United - 29/12/07 - post match reaction from page 28

Dave

Good second half and we didn't deserve to lose, it's alright playing like that away from home but we need more pace on the counter. Faye is a beast in that role, not sure why Owen came on as the game didn't suit him at all.

There are simple reasons why we tend to play well against these types of sides...They come onto us and we get some space behind them to play in. If we have to break a deadlock we have problems as we have little pace and creativity.

Well, it was much improved but how the f*** could we shut up shop and play for the draw in the last 20 mins when the game was quite clearly there for the winning???.

At this stage of the season no-one cares if we get beat anymore, we should of just went for the win and maybe, just maybe we might have got it.

Big Sam has won yet another last minute reprieve from the electric chair and I dont know whether I feel good or bad about that fact.

I don't think Rozehnal for Smith was a negative change. It allowed N'Zogbia to push up and moved Duff into the centre and it worked well enough. Owen for Martins wasn't negative either, it just messed things up when we were on top.

Martins wasn't exactly offering a lot was he?  It really doesn't matter which out of form midget you have running about like a headless chicken.  Viduka would have made more sense, but it isn't fair to say that was the decision that cost us. 

As i've said, i only saw the last half hour, but he was actually doing one or two things. His pace was causing one or two problems and he slipped a good pass in for Duff at the end. The fact was, we needed two strikers on the pitch. It was a sub not worth making, like Parky said.

His running may not be particularly smart, but it does force teams to sit back, as well as letting us stretch them on the counter.

I don't think Rozehnal for Smith was a negative change. It allowed N'Zogbia to push up and moved Duff into the centre and it worked well enough. Owen for Martins wasn't negative either, it just messed things up when we were on top.

...as I said earlier why make a change when you're clearly on top?

Guest WalkervilleMag

Well, it was much improved but how the f*** could we shut up shop and play for the draw in the last 20 mins when the game was quite clearly there for the winning.

At this stage of the season no-one cares if we get beat anymore, we should of just went for the win and maybe, just maybe we might have got it.

Big Sam has won yet another last minute reprieve from the electric chair and I dont know whether I feel good or bad about that fact.

think we will have to wait until the Stoke defeat for him to finally get his seat in the electric chair.

Good second half and we didn't deserve to lose, it's alright playing like that away from home but we need more pace on the counter. Faye is a beast in that role, not sure why Owen came on as the game didn't suit him at all.

There are simple reasons why we tend to play well against these types of sides...They come onto us and we get some space behind them to play in. If we have to break a deadlock we have problems as we have little pace and creativity.

This.

We desperately lack pace going forward, no doubt about it.

It was hardly positive. He could have brought Emre or Viduka (or Owen at that point) on. Bringing Rozehnal on meant we had all four centre-backs in our squad on the pitch, when Chelsea were there for the taking.

Smith was fucked after colliding with Faye and Zog was getting raped at LB

Haven't seen the match yet but Le Tissier says Martins was one of the best players for us today, playing well but just lacking a bit of confidence. Good to hear Cacapa had a solid game, i think once he settles he will be a good player.

Faye and Beye are going to be fantastic for us, Cacapa will settle more ans show his quality on a more regular basis once he does settle, Taylor still scares the s**** out of me at times, Roze is okay but we need a LB and one more class CB and we are sorted a the back.

Zoggy was great today, very hard to get forward and have a go from left back when your up against SWP, yes he got caught out of position a good few times butt he cannot do both jobs well when he is not a fullback, I would however like to see him get a shot at being out central creative midfielder, with Duff wide elft Milner wide right.

we do have a left back who cost us 6 million but the gaffer doesnt play him which astounds us all

It was hardly positive. He could have brought Emre or Viduka (or Owen at that point) on. Bringing Rozehnal on meant we had all four centre-backs in our squad on the pitch, when Chelsea were there for the taking.

I thought it was a positive change. Made us more of a threat going forward without losing shape.

Haven't seen the match yet but Le Tissier says Martins was one of the best players for us today, playing well but just lacking a bit of confidence. Good to hear Cacapa had a solid game, i think once he settles he will be a good player.

Understatement of the year. Martins is a mood-player, and will never produce when he has an off-day.

Again, it comes back to the question, why play defensive football? I know we didn't for the majority of the second half but for the time that mattered we did, the last 20-15 minutes.

We can't defend, simple as. So why try to defend? As is said time and time again, the best form of defence is attack. If the ball is at the other end of the pitch, the opposition can't score.

Fair enough, it's Allardyce football and he needs time. But don't introduce this defensive football until you've built a defence good enough to. Play to the team's strengths, not the manager's.

Wasn't really happy with either change.

That said, Chelsea could've scored many, many times earlier in the game.

N'Zogbia was great going forward, but he was major liability at the back. Faye and Beye were very good. Smith better than most will admit.

Given MOTM by a mile.

He made LOADS of school boy errors tbh.

He was. I was baffled by some on here having a go at him for missing chances from difficult angles in the first half. Particularly the one where the ball was wide and he had 4 Chelsea players busting a gut to get back and no-one in support.

Smith was fucked after colliding with Faye and Zog was getting raped at LB

Zoggy didn't bother with LB duties in the second half and became the extra player upfront...SA should have just left it...It's a game where risks are worth taking cause no one expected anything from it.

We got the full game live on TV out here in Canada. The lads played their hearts out they really didn't deserve to loose. The 2nd goal wasn't even close to being onside, I don't think I have seen a worse decision. More performances like this and we'll be fine.

Again, it comes back to the question, why play defensive football? I know we didn't for the majority of the second half but for the time that mattered we did, the last 20-15 minutes.

We can't defend, simple as. So why try to defend? As is said time and time again, the best form of defence is attack. If the ball is at the other end of the pitch, the opposition can't score.

Fair enough, it's Allardyce football and he needs time. But don't introduce this defensive football until you've built a defence good enough to. Play to the team's strengths, not the manager's.

We defended well in the last 10-15 today, and tbf Chelsea are still a good team who forced us back. A little more positivity would have been nice, but it's not like a defensive cock up was what cost us.

There is actually almost no reason on earth to ever play defensive football if you really look at it. Even the fad in the PL has died out now with ManU and Arsenal top. Teams like Reading and Man C go for it...Attack first def when necessary is how I see the game should be played. Play it in their half as much as you can.

I love the fact Faye is finally being played in midfield. He should be an improvement over Geremi. Taylor and Cacapa should be okay at the back too as the Chelsea strikers aren't particularly physical today.

If Milner, Duff and Martins can somehow get the ball played into their feet they could really give Ben Haim and Alex a scare too. Also it looks like Alan Smith will be given the freedom to charge forward from midfield rather than play the holding role so hopefully he will be better at doing this, and should essentially offer Martins support from there as a second striker type.

I'm choosing to be optimistic with this. I'm tired of the negativity. I'll at least wait to see how we perform before getting upset about anything to do with the tactics etc.

I'm really hoping for a big game from Faye in the middle of the park.

I would just like to give myself a pat on the back to make myself feel a bit better about today ... I knew Faye would be a big factor. Please refer to above.

Guest Geordiesned

We got the full game live on TV out here in Canada. The lads played their hearts out they really didn't deserve to loose. The 2nd goal wasn't even close to being onside, I don't think I have seen a worse decision. More performances like this and we'll be fine.

Unfortunately we've all seen how we play against the so-called lesser teams.

He didn't go defensive, he brought Roz on because SWP was fucking battering us everytime he got the ball, if anything he should have done something about it earlier because it was a clear weak spot and they were taking advantage of every time.