Mort Expects Arrivals

Dave

Worth its own thread; he talks a lot of sense.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/premiership/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/08/01/02/SOCCER_Newcastle_Mort.html

MORT EXPECTS ARRIVALS

By Damian Spellman, PA Sport

Newcastle chairman Chris Mort has hinted that the club will not spend heavily this month as they attempt to stabilise after a disappointing first half of the campaign.

Mort, who earlier this week insisted he and owner Mike Ashley are not lining up potential replacements for manager Sam Allardyce, confirmed there will be new additions to the squad - but suggested any large scale rebuilding work will be done during the summer.

Reflecting on a tough first few months for Allardyce and his players in his programme notes ahead of Wednesday night's Premier League clash with Manchester City, the chairman said: "One of the first tasks last summer was to strengthen the first-team squad.

"With the signings of Joey Barton, Habib Beye, Claudio Cacapa, Jose Enrique, Abdoulaye Faye, Geremi, David Rozehnal, Alan Smith and Mark Viduka, I am convinced we started the season with a much stronger squad of players than that with which we ended last season.

"The returns of Damien Duff, Shay Given and Michael Owen from long-term injuries, as a result of the hard work of the backroom staff and the players themselves, have also been very important to us.

"With these players added to some high-quality players already at the club, I think we all expected the team to be doing better on the pitch than it has been.

"While we have had some great results, such as the victories over Everton, Spurs and Bolton and the match against Arsenal, we have had too many disappointing results, such as the Derby games and the Boxing Day Wigan match.

"With the strength we have in the squad, I am hopeful that the team will soon settle into a winning run that will push us back up the table to where we should be.

"I would expect us to make a couple of further additions to the squad in January, but like any other club, we would prefer to add players in the summer transfer window than in January so that players have a chance to settle into the team.

"And January is always a more difficult time to extract high-quality players from their current clubs."

Ashley has invested a net figure of around £10million in players to date, but has ploughed £75million into addressing the club's debt burden.

Allardyce will have limited cash with which to attract new signings this month as he prepares for the loss of Faye, Beye, Geremi and Obafemi Martins on African Nations Cup duty.

Aye well summed up, I know we would all love to see more players coming in but I cannot see it being big money signings, maybe a couple of loan deals to cover those leaving for the African Nations Cup..

Guest Knightrider

I don't think anything can be read into those comments tbh or anything else until the window slams shut and we can see what's what with our own two eyes, i.e. based on who we buy and how many, or who we don't buy if any. Sensible words though from the Chairman.

Guest Knightrider

For what it's worth I think we need to buy quality now and that will cost money. However I don't think we will.

For what it's worth I think we need to buy quality now and that will cost money. However I don't think we will.

We can't just buy when the first sign of trouble comes, yes we need to improve the side, yes we lack quality in certain ares especially in midfield however that doesn't mean spending the twice the amount on a player which we need is the solution. It's clear they have a long term plan and they'll get the players in when the time is right, January probably isn't that time.

We can't just buy when the first sign of trouble comes, yes we need to improve the side, yes we lack quality in certain ares especially in midfield however that doesn't mean spending the twice the amount on a player which we need is the solution. It's clear they have a long term plan and they'll get the players in when the time is right, January probably isn't that time.

I think it's also pretty obvious from Mort's comments that they think they bought well in the Summer and the results/performances haven't matched that. So why would they feel the need to splash out really big? Allardyce has plenty to prove to the chairman and owner, never mind us.

I reckon they'll be waiting to see what Allardyce does with the players he's signed before allowing him any big funds to spend, if any it all as if things continue the way they are I have a feeling he'll be for the high jump come the summer

Sensible guy, but this is slighty disappointing news imo, i was looking forward to this window.

The concept that Mort may not grasp is that the higher we are in the table at the end of the season is what will determine the calibre of players that we can attract come summertime. We're in for a rough ride during the ACN and not having a substantial kitty will see us falling a few places in the league, and not to mention put Sam's job in jeopardy once more.

Guest Knightrider

I agree, however the first-team badly needs some quality in there and there is never a bad time to sign better players. I don't want them to throw money away, just spend £10m or so on a proven quality player that will help us out no end where it matters on the pitch. Easier said than done I know but this is what we need, now. If they're taking a rather longer term approach to things then I can wait as I support them fully, however I hope they extend that to the manager too...

Sensible guy, but this is slighty disappointing news imo, i was looking forward to this window.

The concept that Mort may not grasp is that the higher we are in the table at the end of the season is what will determine the calibre of players that we can attract come summertime. We're in for a rough ride during the ACN and not having a substantial kitty will see us falling a few places in the league, and not to mention put Sam's job in jeopardy once more.

Lets just wait and see.  Nothing to be gained from him saying "Yeah, we've got loads to spend", which would only hike up the prices of anyone we are after.

I think it's also pretty obvious from Mort's comments that they think they bought well in the Summer and the results/performances haven't matched that. So why would they feel the need to splash out really big? Allardyce has plenty to prove to the chairman and owner, never mind us.

....christ I hope not.  :kasper:

All this talk of 'back up the table'  and 'winning run' shows Mort is deluded for whtever reason or SA is feeding him the little blue pills. :razz:

All this talk of 'back up the table'  and 'winning run' shows Mort is deluded for whtever reason or SA is feeding him the little blue pills. :razz:

Well better than losing to the likes of Derby and Wigan, at least.

Well better than losing to the likes of Derby and Wigan, at least.

Not enough fighting talk from Mort for my liking. It'll do for now, but I agree with Chris get one or two quality in if they become available.

I agree, however the first-team badly needs some quality in there and there is never a bad time to sign better players. I don't want them to throw money away, just spend £10m or so on a proven quality player that will help us out no end where it matters on the pitch. Easier said than done I know but this is what we need, now. If they're taking a rather longer term approach to things then I can wait as I support them fully, however I hope they extend that to the manager too...

If we don't buy the quality when given a chance our opponents will, there is no shortage of money in the top 10 clubs atm. We need to decide and earlier the better what level we want to compete on.

If we don't buy the quality when given a chance our opponents will, there is no shortage of money in the top 10 clubs atm. We need to decide and earlier the better what level we want to compete on.

But we can't buy players who aren't available, everyone will say, Why didn't you buy him? Why didn't you buy him? If the player isn't available, if the club are wanting twice the value the player is actually worth you can't buy them.

But we can't buy players who aren't available, everyone will say, Why didn't you buy him? Why didn't you buy him? If the player isn't available, if the club are wanting twice the value the player is actually worth you can't buy them.

What does the phrase 'when given a chance' mean to you?

This season, with so much, instability, i dont think thie problem lies with weaknesses within the team (although there obviously are some), i think the problem lies with the way the team is actually playing. The personnel we have is alot better than our position suggests. I think SA and Mort realisie this and arent looking to invest too heavily as adding more players will undoubltedly rock an already unsteady ship. Im happy to have a reasonably quiet transfer period providing money is invested in the summer.

I still have the feeling that with 2 astute signings placed in the right areas we could definately transform our results

I'd also love us to do some kind of swap deal with Ameobi too

They wouldn't even have to be that expensive!  Maybe a playmaker from the continent that can unlock a few doors would do just to tide us over, and get a bit more movement in the midfield!

I'd actually be tempted to raid some russian clubs for a little gem