Martins

Guest K9

According to telegraph 91% passing accuracy today, and their MOTM.

His build up play has really stood out under Keegan, maybe because he's been encouraged to play the ball around on the floor rather than be expected to control 70 yard balls being fired out from the back.

Agree, his infamous first touch has actually looked pretty good, not that it was that bad anyway. Shown good skills and some intelligent passing.

Martins has a very strange style when moving the ball around, its a similar style I have noticed with taller (lanky) players so it really is quite odd someone who is 4ft 3 has adopted.

All good though :D

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

I said it last week during the Reading match and took some heat for it, but I'll say it again here:

If Oba is going to become a truly great striker, he's going to need to improve his vision and passing.  To a degree it's true that a striker shouldn't pass up a shooting opportunity (and in doing so showing the defense that he's dangerous and confident), but a striker that can draw the defense and set up teammates is nearly as valuable as one who finishes.  While I've been very pleased with the way he's played recently, I'd really like to see Oba develop his vision and learn how to see when his teammates are making dangerous runs.

A pass to Barton could have added a fourth for us last week (instead shooting wide from a difficult angle), and he could have hit a cutting Owen that would have notched us a goal (instead, he held possession for a bit too long and eventually lost it). 

While there is plenty that he does well and plenty for him to work at, I'd really like to see him improve his passing.  His current hairstyle, on the other hand, is perfect in every way.

I said it last week during the Reading match and took some heat for it, but I'll say it again here:

If Oba is going to become a truly great striker, he's going to need to improve his vision and passing.  To a degree it's true that a striker shouldn't pass up a shooting opportunity (and in doing so showing the defense that he's dangerous and confident), but a striker that can draw the defense and set up teammates is nearly as valuable as one who finishes.  While I've been very pleased with the way he's played recently, I'd really like to see Oba develop his vision and learn how to see when his teammates are making dangerous runs.

A pass to Barton could have added a fourth for us last week (instead shooting wide from a difficult angle), and he could have hit a cutting Owen that would have notched us a goal (instead, he held possession for a bit too long and eventually lost it). 

While there is plenty that he does well and plenty for him to work at, I'd really like to see him improve his passing.  His current hairstyle, on the other hand, is perfect in every way.

At one game earlier in the season Martins had a shot from about 15 yards out that the keeper saved and the bloke behind me was screaming "Why didn't you fucking pass it to him man!" pointing towards Geremi out wide, later in the second half a similar situation occurred but this time he did pass it to Geremi who wasted it only for the same bloke to shout "What are you passing to him for for fucks sake, shoot man"

It's easy to point something out afterwards and say they should have done this or that, you won't find many strikers who would pass when they've got a chance to shoot though, especially in the position he was in when he could have passed to Barton.

Guest Stephen927

Inter Milan knew his end was near. Thats why they got rid of him.

More like £10m was too good an offer to turn down for a striker who was 4th choice iirc.

At one game earlier in the season Martins had a shot from about 15 yards out that the keeper saved and the bloke behind me was screaming "Why didn't you fucking pass it to him man!" pointing towards Geremi out wide, later in the second half a similar situation occurred but this time he did pass it to Geremi who wasted it only for the same bloke to shout "What are you passing to him for for fucks sake, shoot man"

It's easy to point something out afterwards and say they should have done this or that, you won't find many strikers who would pass when they've got a chance to shoot though, especially in the position he was in when he could have passed to Barton.

just because the bloke behind you is fickle/stupid doesn't mean that oba doesnt need to try and improve his vision, he does. put quite simply he SHOULD have passed the ball to barton, any player in that position should as barton was in such a superior position to score, there was also quite a few occassions against pompey when his decisions were odd, and thats being kind.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2275025,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=5

Oba in Toon with the King

After playing only seven games under Sam Allardyce, Obafemi Martins is smiling again

Anna Kessel

Sunday April 20, 2008

The Observer

Obafemi Martins trots over the Gateshead Millennium Bridge from Newcastle, hands tucked deep into his pockets, body braced against the cold North-East wind, face pinched up under the peak of a sparkly cap. A Premier League footballer going anywhere by foot is unusual. He makes a compelling sight dwarfed under the vast expanse of grey sky.

On the other side of the Tyne, in the warmth of his Gateshead penthouse, Martins has recently enjoyed a visit from his mother. She left only a few days ago, but the fridge's freezer compartment is fully stocked with Nigerian dishes. When he runs out of these he can always go next door to team-mate Emre. Emre's mum cooks up a regular Turkish culinary storm to feed the two of them.

Article continues

It is a rare glimpse at domestic life for a Newcastle player, a world away from the frenzied news stories of fractious dressing rooms, relegation fears and managerial instability. Eighteen months ago, a young Martins could never have envisaged such chaos when he first decided to come to England.

When Martins arrived in Newcastle from Inter in 2006, a £10million Glenn Roeder purchase and the big summer signing, he was still only 21 years old. Handed the No 9 shirt worn with such rugged distinction by Alan Shearer for a decade, there was an excited buzz about the striker among the fans. Was this Champions League whizz kid who played alongside players such as Christian Vieri and Adriano, gifted and with phenomenal pace and agility, really coming to the Toon?

Almost two seasons later and some people cannot quite believe he is still there. With persistent rumours of a £15m move to Arsenal - Arsène Wenger is a known admirer after Inter demolished Arsenal 3-0 at Highbury in a Champions League fixture in 2003, in which Martins played a central role - why would the Nigeria forward stick with such a troubled club?

'Actually people say that all the time,' he says with a smile, 'In Nigeria they are calling me, they are asking if I will sign a new contract. They say I should just go away, there are a lot of better teams. But they don't understand; if you feel passion for a team, even if they have problems you have to help them out. For now I'm still playing here. For now.'

Martins purses his lips carefully. 'They say this because I miss playing Champions League as well, but a lot of players here at Newcastle have played Champions League. It's not only me. We're here now, we have to deal with it and try to help each other. That's the way I'm thinking.'

Back in Nigeria, people are less understanding. Who are Newcastle compared to the club suitors who have come knocking for Martins' signature? 'Most Nigerians support Arsenal, or Chelsea, Manchester United or Liverpool. That's why people always say to me, "What are you doing there? I really don't understand why you're at Newcastle, go to Arsenal!" I'm like, leave my team alone please! You cannot imagine how they are disturbing me in Nigeria.' He glances at his agent, who also has family in Nigeria, and laughs knowingly.

'Never mind,' says Martins, 'because I'm at Newcastle and Nigerians love me a lot. They've started supporting Newcastle now. Even the Arsenal supporters will try and put themselves half-half, because of me. That makes me very happy.'

It has been an eventful time for Martins on the Tyne. The club who finished seventh in the Premier League the summer that he signed have worked their way through three managers and countless other problems since.

The instability has not been good for Martins. All season the boy wonder from Lagos has been on and off the bench.

Under Sam Allardyce he played just seven complete matches from a total of 23 appearances. Newcastle's star signing did not expect such treatment. After being crowded out of a regular role at Inter with the arrival of Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Hernán Crespo, Martins was not prepared for a bench role at his new club. 'If they change a player who is trying to get a goal and they are substituted I think a lot of players would feel upset. Even if they don't act like that, inside of themselves they will feel very, very bad. I've always been like that even when I was at Inter Milan.'

He has shown his frustration. He snubbed an Allardyce handshake after being taken off against Chelsea, and burst into tears when Kevin Keegan substituted him against Birmingham. Tears and football? He and King Kev must be made for each other. Obafemi means 'The King loves me' in the Yoruba language - and it sounds as though he does.

'After five minutes we were talking and laughing,' says Martins. 'He said to me, "Oba, if you do that again you're gonna pay a fine." And I said to him, "If you do that kind of thing again [substitute me], you're gonna pay a fine too." So we started laughing about it.'

Since that game Martins has played 90 minutes in three out of four matches and scored twice. The respect clearly works both ways. 'Sam Allardyce never talked a lot,' he says. 'Kevin Keegan speaks as if we are team-mates. It's different and I like it.'

The changeover from Allardyce was not easy, though. 'We get confused because what Sam Allardyce was saying to us about playing is totally different from what the new manager says. It was very, very difficult for everybody. Trying to understand his tactics and everything. It takes some months.'

To make matters worse, Martins was away preparing for the African Cup of Nations. 'Geremi called me. He said Sam Allardyce is no more the manager at Newcastle. I was shocked. I was worried about coming back. It's not easy going to the African Nations for two months and coming back and playing regularly.'

Phone calls with Charles N'Zogbia kept him updated before Nathaniel of NVA Management phoned to break the news about Kevin Keegan's appointment. Martins says he had never heard of Keegan and had to look him up on YouTube.

Does he resent the managerial mayhem? Martins is diplomatic. 'In Africa if the team are not doing well, the fans will come to the players. Here, it's different. If things aren't going well, it's the manager's fault.'

He recalls the case of the Ghana striker Asamoah Gyan, who failed to satisfy the supporters at this year's Cup of Nations. 'The fans were shouting that they gonna kidnap his family.' Martins is in stitches. Compared to this, Allardyce got off rather lightly.

Keegan looks to have banished the relegation spectre with 11 points from Newcastle's past five games, but with Sunderland in Toon threatening to leapfrog them in the league this afternoon, the Tyne-Wear derby is a must-win game.

Around the streets of Newcastle everybody knows it. Martins cannot walk too far without somebody shaking his hand and wishing him luck for the big game. With the kind of frustrating season he has had, he will be happy to be the key man in it.

Might be going a little OTT but that interview sounded a little worrying.

Was it the "For now." bit? I think Oba staying for years and years will depend on how successful we do or don't become. Another season or two of midtable mediocrity and he might well want to leave if he feels we've become too stagnant. Whatever anyone thinks of him, I'm sure there are plenty of clubs who'd pay good money for his services.