Martins

Guest K9

Toon ace oba up for sale says Shaun Cuntis of the Sun.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/article1202314.ece

NEWCASTLE are trying to flog Obafemi Martins.

The Toon sounded out Liverpool about buying the Nigerian but Martins’ advisors have rejected the idea.

However, Chelsea and Arsenal have been alerted by developments.

Martins, 23, has a £13million buy-out clause in his contract which Newcastle originally asked to take out in exchange for a £90,000- a-week, five-year deal.

But outgoing chairman Chris Mort recently made it clear Newcastle would not pay players ridiculous wages.

It seems Martins has now fallen into that category.

It is bad news for Michael Owen, who wants to extend his £110,000- a-week deal while Toon expect him to take a wage cut.

A Toon insider said: “Oba’s future is uncertain. Newcastle are testing the water to see how strong the interest is.

"It’s surprising they would want to sell him but there is a definite shift in the way the club are operating.”

Utter http://www.northwarks.gov.uk/images/dog-poo.jpg

Bullshit story. To those wanting to sell Martins, do you honestly think we would be able to buy better?

Yes. For the system that we're currently playing, I think we'd be able to get a better footballer, but without that added ability to score goals out of nothing.

The only way this story makes sense is if we're sussing out whether we actually need to bump up his contract and get rid of the sell-on clause. If no-one's going to pay £13 million, then we're okay as things stand. It doesn't mean that we want to get rid of him.

Guest shearer_206

Another classic Sun story and of course, it couldn't be from anyone else. Mr "I'm a Newcastle fan, honestly" Custis and his 'insiders'..... Hes getting as bad as Oliver (big statement I know!).

I'm sure it was this pr*ck who, as someone has already mentioned, tried to flog Martins to United not so long ago.

And I don't agree with comments that we should sell him. In today's market, we will be unable to replace him for £13m. Not that there isn't anyone out there for that money, it's more about who we can attract with us not being in Europe. And also us not based in London, which seems to be the 'in thing' for footballers at the moment.. Stupid WAGS!

And I don't agree with comments that we should sell him. In today's market, we will be unable to replace him for £13m. Not that there isn't anyone out there for that money, it's more about who we can attract with us not being in Europe. And also us not based in London, which seems to be the 'in thing' for footballers at the moment.. Stupid WAGS!

That was my point. NUFC should employ Alexander Hleb as our "It's shit living in London" spokesperson. We could get him to talk to our foreign targets.

i'd like to see us fling in a bid for darren bent personally - can't see there being that many challengers for his sig, if we nicked him for 7-10m he'd be a decent addition

in our present system could do what martins is doing on the left but on the right, double the treat especially away from home

Guest loonietoonie

i'd like to see us fling in a bid for darren bent personally - can't see there being that many challengers for his sig, if we nicked him for 7-10m he'd be a decent addition

in our present system could do what martins is doing on the left but on the right, double the treat especially away from home

Yeh i agree with the above I would like to see him here i think he could give us that extra fire power we need and i think he would jump at the chance too

Yeh i agree with the above I would like to see him here i think he could give us that extra fire power we need and i think he would jump at the chance too

same old.. Darren Bent and Dean Ashton..

and that's not even an improvement on Owen and Viduka..

we need creative players more, imo.. not another consumer CF and I'm sure that with the help of mr. Ashley we will be in a position to attract bigger names than them.

Darren Bent I'm not convinced about, but Dean Ashton would be a definite improvement on Viduka, who struggles to get involved against good opposition. Ashton is very creative as well as strong - the only thing he lacks is pace, but with a target man, that's not an absolute necessity.

I'd actually try him out in the England team. He could combine well with Rooney.

Darren Bent I'm not convinced about, but Dean Ashton would be a definite improvement on Viduka, who struggles to get involved against good opposition. Ashton is very creative as well as strong - the only thing he lacks is pace, but with a target man, that's not an absolute necessity.

I'd actually have him in the England team. He could combine well with Rooney.

Always injured, i'd go bananas if we wasted £10m+ on him, much rather have D Bent who much more Athletic and posses decent strength himself, and is fit most of the time.

He lacks a body that's any more reliable than Martins' first touch.

Very true, and a crying shame really. Ashton is already a very good player, but he should have been fantastic.

I'm surprised people are still so unimpressed with martins considering how much improvement he showed under Keegan in the new formation.

Will be very much a case of not knowing what you've got till it's gone I reckon.

Do you honestly think Spurs will sell Bent for anything less than what they paid for him ? .... think about their old transfer strategy of buying young english lads who will increase in value....

Guest koye

We're lucky to have Martins. He's a great player.

Darren Bent... ??? Not good enough, and he's not a targetman either..Which is the kind of striker we need together with Owen and Martins.

Guest Sniffer

Heard the same myopic views when KK sold cole after deciding we'd be better off going in another direction. And martin's is nowhere near as good a player as andy cole.

Heard the same myopic views when KK sold cole after deciding we'd be better off going in another direction. And martin's is nowhere near as good a player as andy cole.

Agree with the sentiment, but when we sold Cole, there wasn't a plan in place re: Ferdinand/changing the overall style of play.

Terry Mac admitted as much in an interview just after Keegan returned, think it was on Newcastle World.

He mentioned some fan piping up during that famous scene outside SJP saying "Kevin wouldn't sell Andy Cole without a replacement/plan lined-up" and Terry Mac leaning in behind KK and whispering "oh yes he would!"

This is Custis remember, according to him in the last year:-

Martins to Man U

Ashley selling the club

Owen to Man U

Defoe and SWP to us

Ashley selling the club

Keegan had to GROVEL to Ashley (as if Keegan would GROVEL to anyone)

I just wish I could be a journo, sit and write up shite stories and get paid for it, and have rides on helicopters with my wonderful and clever friends.

He has never been a Newcastle fan and is lying if he is saying that, he's obsessed with Man U and is a glory hunting twat of the first order.