Martins

Guest K9

Until we get someone else, Martins is our second best striker (ignoring Viduka completely as he's not got a functional body).

He's the only striker we've got with any real pace, regardless of how he uses it.

He's the only striker we've got who scares defenders when he has the ball, regardless of how often he miscontrols it.

He's the only striker we've got who can produce something out of nothing, regardless of how rarely that occurs.

He must play.

This.

So with £13m who people buy to replace Martins who would be a definite improvement (on paper at least)? 

The best i can come up with is Roque Santa Cruz, Daniel Sturrige looks decent,Zaki,  maybe John Carew...

P

I love the way everyone loves Cisse now, after he scored one goal against us and then hit the post.

The abuse that was dished out whenever he was mentioned this summer was unreal.

Interesting ...

If Martins played in a team that attacked well consistently, he would soon settle and produce consistently himself.

I really don't think people appreciate how dysfunctional the team has been since he cam to the club.

People keep comparing him to an experienced and seasoned prem player in Owen. However, Martins is nowhere near as established and he is still trying to figure things out as a young striker who only became a regular first teamer after joining us.

I'm not surprised to hear he is amazing in training but is struggling to translate this into performances in actual games. He will definitely get better and I hope it will be at Newcastle.

I have never(nor will)changed my mind about Martins ; in my opinion, he is NOT a top class striker, and wherever he plays, will struggle to get more than 10-15 goals a season.

Has pace, but very little tactical awareness of how to use it ; not big enough to hold the ball up front as a target man, and distribution is erratic ; has excellent athletic qualities, but not the footballing intelligence about how to use those qualities. Generally, he is not a player who has much awareness of his colleagues'

movements and this does not create opportunities for others to score goals rather than just him.

He WILL score some spectacular goals, but not enough tap-ins/opportunist efforts .

When Supermac joined NUFC in 1971, he was 21 years old ; many said he only had a good left peg, and a powerful shot ; also that he was unproven in the top division, reputedly the reason why Man U were slow to move for him....

By the time he was Martins' age, he was probably the most feared striker in the First division and had scored 30 goals in his first season, helping Newcastle to avoid relegation.

Yes , he had Hibbitt and Tony Green to give him ammunition, and Tudor(a willing workhorse) to draw defenders off him, but he still improved ALL aspects of his game, from heading to using his right foot.

Much of this also applies to Owen, who was an established Prem striker by the age of 19.

Martins has NOT shown anything like that improvement in his time at Newcastle and in my opinion, won't.

In fact, if I was given the choice of a 26 year old David Kelly, or Martins, I would take Kelly - he would offer far more to the team all round.

However, I DO accept that he is the best we are likely to get for some time, and until a better player is prepared to join NUFC, they have to make the best use of him, and his comittment to the club seems good.

Guest iliketoonarmy

I have never(nor will)changed my mind about Martins ; in my opinion, he is NOT a top class striker, and wherever he plays, will struggle to get more than 10-15 goals a season.

Has pace, but very little tactical awareness of how to use it ; not big enough to hold the ball up front as a target man, and distribution is erratic ; has excellent athletic qualities, but not the footballing intelligence about how to use those qualities. Generally, he is not a player who has much awareness of his colleagues'

movements and this does not create opportunities for others to score goals rather than just him.

He WILL score some spectacular goals, but not enough tap-ins/opportunist efforts .

When Supermac joined NUFC in 1971, he was 21 years old ; many said he only had a good left peg, and a powerful shot ; also that he was unproven in the top division, reputedly the reason why Man U were slow to move for him....

By the time he was Martins' age, he was probably the most feared striker in the First division and had scored 30 goals in his first season, helping Newcastle to avoid relegation.

Yes , he had Hibbitt and Tony Green to give him ammunition, and Tudor(a willing workhorse) to draw defenders off him, but he still improved ALL aspects of his game, from heading to using his right foot.

Much of this also applies to Owen, who was an established Prem striker by the age of 19.

Martins has NOT shown anything like that improvement in his time at Newcastle and in my opinion, won't.

In fact, if I was given the choice of a 26 year old David Kelly, or Martins, I would take Kelly - he would offer far more to the team all round.

However, I DO accept that he is the best we are likely to get for some time, and until a better player is prepared to join NUFC, they have to make the best use of him, and his comittment to the club seems good.

Obviously you are watching another Martins, if you watch his games in NUFC with full attention. :idiot2:

It's as cliche'd as heck, but he really does need a team to play a particular style of football to be truly threatening. Just look at how he was during our run last season under Keegan.

Every time he got the ball near the box, you could see the opposing defenders shitting themselves.

Look, there's one thing about Obafemi Martins that only him and Jonas have - Excitement.

Those two players are the only two players that make me get excited when they have the ball.

It will be interesting when Owen gets back into starting contention what happens to Oba, I'd be tempted to play Owen as a playmaker behind the front 2 again, but we'll see.

Get the fuck out of my thread if you've nothing constructive to say.

You heard.

Your thread is a cliche, and a broken record. Make one that doesn't regurgitate the same old comments and maybe I will bother with an articulate reaction.

By the way, it wasn't your thread that emitted that reaction, just some really stinted views posted within it of one of our best players, about whom this topic has been done to death.

And as for "your thread," it's as much yours as it is the forum's. Take that head out, and maybe you'd realise not everything's about you.

nicely put, DJ NUFC..

Martins is our most important player, it's obvious that without him we struggle to create a chance even against the weakest defences.. but aye, lets sell him, because "he's never looked like a 10 million striker".. clueless

Love the way you write half a page listing all of Martins faults but at the end grudgingly admit we still need him :lol:

I love the way everyone loves Cisse now, after he scored one goal against us and then hit the post.

The abuse that was dished out whenever he was mentioned this summer was unreal.

Interesting ...

yup, i got tarred and feathered for saying we should have signed him lol, still stand by it, i bumped into him in tesco the other week at kingston park, if i knew he was going to score past us at the s.o.l i would have knacked him with me trolley.

i do like martins, he's so unpredictable but he needs someone reliable to play off, someone who can stay fit and compliment his style too. maybe a crouch or someone