In The Grand Scheme Of Things How Do You Rate Ruud Gullit?

Tooj

His playing abilities that is.  :angel:

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/2980/40066645holland270fm5.jpg

Probably be the finest player on the planet if he was at his peak now.  :thup:

Could turn in a performance almost anywhere on the park.  blueyes.gif

Cruyff had it right when he said Gullit had all the ability but Rijkaard was a deeper thinker on the game.

Gullit's married to Cruyff's niece isn't he? Imagine the family gatherings when they're having kick abouts with the kids. Both trying to out do each other, and not wanting to lose due to their arrogance. :lol:

Gullit's married to Cruyff's niece isn't he? Imagine the family gatherings when they're having kick abouts with the kids. Both trying to out do each other, and not wanting to lose due to their arrogance. :lol:

:lol:

It would be difficult to match Cruyff's arrogance.

Still a consultant at Barca you know.  blueyes.gif

If I was as good as Cruyff was I'd probably be just as arrogant tbf.

His last ever season proved that man, Ajax got rid as thought he was past it, thought ah na I'll show them, goes to Feyenoord and brings them the title.  :clap:

If I was as good as Cruyff was I'd probably be just as arrogant tbf.

His last ever season proved that man, Ajax got rid as thought he was past it, thought ah na I'll show them, goes to Feyenoord and brings them the title.  :clap:

If you haven't get this...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ajax-Barcelona-Cruyff-Frits-Barend/dp/0747543054

An awful lot of people suggested he was the Worlds Best Player in 1987/88 - taking over from Maradona. I wouldnt argue with that. He was exceptional. Whether he was better than Kaka? Probably.

As Stevieintoon said he was probably the best all round footballer ever (although there's probably a case for Beckenbauer being better but I haven't seen anyone more rounded as a player). Wouldn't be surprised if he was a decent goalie.

An awful lot of people suggested he was the Worlds Best Player in 1987/88 - taking over from Maradona. I wouldnt argue with that. He was exceptional. Whether he was better than Kaka? Probably.

Talking about the best of the best here, but for my money I would put Maradona over Gullit until about 1990.

may have been the best for a few years but I wouldn't say he was the best ever. But its all about opinions.

I just meant I agreed with Stevie re: his ability to play anywhere (just about) as an outfield player and still be world class. He wasn't even the best Dutch player ever though.

He was a great player, but not as talented as Maradona when it came to creating something out of nothing.

IMO Cruyff was better than both, and the best of my era. He could raise the performance of an entire team.

• 5 months later...

EX-PREMIER League referee Graham Poll reckons he could have saved Ruud Gullit's Newcastle United career.

The Dutchman was sacked by former Toon Chairman Freddie Shepherd after United's disastrous 2-1 defeat to arch-rivals Sunderland - a game played in torrential rain.

The match is best remembered for Gullit's decision to leave local hero Alan Shearer and big-name partner Duncan Ferguson on the bench for much of the match and start with teenage striker Paul Robinson leading the line for the Magpies.

But the ref on that famous night, Graham Poll, has admitted he would have abandoned the game which ultimately cost Gullit his job as Newcastle boss, had he been asked

Kieron Dyer put the Magpies in front, but goals from Niall Quinn and Kevin Phillips won the night for the Sunderland and the Dutchman's reign ended within days.

Writing about the conditions of last night's Euro 2008 clash between Switzerland and Turkey in Basle in his Daily Mail column, Poll revealed he would have taken the teams off if requested.

He said: "I refereed a derby game at Newcastle against Sunderland in similar conditions - the one when Ruud Gullit left Alan Shearer on the bench until late in the game - and I would have abandoned it if any of the players had asked me to. They didn't."

Gullit left the club after just a year in charge the following weekend and was replaced by Sir Bobby Robson.

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/safc/I-could-have-saved-Ruud.4180746.jp

He was a great player, but not as talented as Maradona when it came to creating something out of nothing.

IMO Cruyff was better than both, and the best of my era. He could raise the performance of an entire team.

Maradona pretty much single handedly won Argentina a world cup.

I think Napoli have won sweet FA seen he left and all....

what a fantastic player  :clap:

how do you think of him as a manager ?

A clever guy who couldn't manage people.

I agree with the second part but the first part I'm not so sure..."shexshy football" said it all.

Awesome player though.