Villa favourites in race to recruit troubled Martins

Thespence

He is. Canny bit better than Martins however.

He's not, I think Defoe is your typical overrated Englishman who hasn't performed well in the Premiership even in a good attacking team like Spurs, most of his good performances have come in the cup against poor teams.

If we get that for Martins I'll know there's something dodgy about Sams dealings (allegedly)

I can never make my mind up on Defoe. He always looked like a quality player but keeps getting benched. Why?

Probably because Berbatov as their best player has to start and Keane is club captain.  It would take a brave man to play Defoe as well given Spurs defensive problems.  Always liked Defoe myself.  He's not particularly great at anything but he just makes things happen whenever he's on the pitch.

He's not, I think Defoe is your typical overrated Englishman who hasn't performed well in the Premiership even in a good attacking team like Spurs, most of his good performances have come in the cup against poor teams.

43 goals in 87 league starts (137 appearances) for Spurs.

I think he is. You've backed Martins to the hilt though so I wouldn't expect you to stop now ;)

I think he is. You've backed Martins to the hilt though so I wouldn't expect you to stop now ;)

Because I think he's our best striker and comes in for some unfair criticism, I can his limitations in games though.

Because I think he's our best striker and comes in for some unfair criticism, I can his limitations in games though.

Fair enough. Not saying Defoe is great but I think he's different class to Martins mate.

think martins is comfortably a bit better than defoe, tho quite similar players. funnily enough for those who think Martins plays like a headless chicken and fails to link up with team-mates, defoe is even worse in this respect, his touch is just as erratic, while he's also appreciably slower, with worse movement, much weaker, and not half as good in the air. in other elements they are close, propensity to wild shots from distance, often miss easier chances, both put their head down and try to play on their own. anyway defoe is just a name plucked out the air, can't see allardyce touching him, nor spurs selling him for less than 9 or 10 mil in this market.

would be dead against selling martins, especially under this manager. we've seen how much he improves our play in general when he's on the pitch, and with movement and pace how many chances he can help create for himself and others (in comparison to say, owen). the last two matches when we took him off the team lost all semblance of shape, pace or fluidity. seeing as we're so short on pace throughout the squad the last person we should be looking to sell is our fastest striker. perhaps if we had sven as manager i wouldn't be against it as i'd trust him to replace martins with an appropriate signing, but then why should we have to sell our best players instead of adding to them and building a squad?

under allardyce i can see him taking the money and wasting it on some static targetman forward, a kevin davies type, which will condemn us to crap football that'll do little to improve our results. look at how Allardyce replaced Dyer and Solano, was he urgently concerned with replacing their pace and vision or did he just sign a bunch of grafters with fractions of their talent?

i don't think allardyce will be wanting to sell martins anyway but it might be forced upon him by the lack of funds from the board. i don't think we should be selling any of our players (other than crap like smith, and even then only if we have someone better lined up) at the minute, we're not exactly brimming with quality in the front areas, are those who are receptive to a sell glad for us to be a selling club or a club who don't want to build up a squad?

think martins is comfortably a bit better than defoe, tho quite similar players. funnily enough for those who think Martins plays like a headless chicken and fails to link up with team-mates, defoe is even worse in this respect, his touch is just as erratic, while he's also appreciably slower, with worse movement, much weaker, and not half as good in the air. in other elements they are close, propensity to wild shots from distance, often miss easier chances, both put their head down and try to play on their own. anyway defoe is just a name plucked out the air, can't see allardyce touching him, nor spurs selling him for less than 9 or 10 mil in this market.

He gets into goalscoring positions though, he's much more of a poacher so doesn't rely on the attributes you listed (your comparison is bollocks as well imo) as much as Martins who doesn't get into the positions so because of that is seen as a second striker type player, which again he simply doesn't have the attributes to play. Defoe will get into the box, try shots and generally be in an around the area sniffing for chances, that's what Martins doesn't do, and that is why he is a better striker than Martins imo. I think we could get him if honest, I highly doubt Spurs would hold out for the amount you mentioned.

He gets into goalscoring positions though, he's much more of a poacher so doesn't rely on the attributes you listed (your comparison is bollocks as well imo) as much as Martins who doesn't get into the positions so because of that is seen as a second striker type player, which again he simply doesn't have the attributes to play. Defoe will get into the box, try shots and generally be in an around the area sniffing for chances, that's what Martins doesn't do, and that is why he is a better striker than Martins imo. I think we could get him if honest, I highly doubt Spurs would hold out for the amount you mentioned.

Excellent points.

Martins is a player better suited to a squad that already scores a decent amount of goals. Relying on him to score all your goals will leave you frustrated.