Another "Owen: is he past it?" thread.. but with a poll

McCormick
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I knew I was stretching it a bit with that comparison but Owen's just not looking like himself atm. Lethargic play and of course the not finishing chances thing. I know he's lost pace and all but that doesn't mean he's lost the ability to score. Which is why I still think, if he can remain fit, he is comparable to Shearer pre-SBR in that he was being used in the wrong way/strengths not played to.

Re: best finisher, if I had to give a chance to either Viduka or Owen in the last minute to win a match, these days it would be the big man every single time.

I realise this is a ridiculous hypothetical situation. Us winning a match - bluelaugh.gif

spot on, viduka is clinical and has a variety of finishes in his repertoire, owen is an instinctive finisher (whose shot is actually pretty weak and not as precisely aimed as viduka's) who does 9/10s of his goalscoring by getting into the right positions. now his legs seem to have gone even these two parts of his game looks to have been adversely effected. i still think we can get a good return out of him but only if used sparingly and in a team that addresses his weaknesses and plays to his strengths. then again he is so fragile that its not worthwhile to build a side around him.

After another less than stellar performance by easily our best-known player, i wonder what you lot think of him.

I think he's just returning from injury and a long way short of match fitness.  What's your excuse?

Guest rebel_yell12

Of course Owen is "past it".  His pace is gone and that was the entirety of his ability.  He can't shoot with his left foot.  He's too short to use his head effectively.  He only cares about England.  He gets injured too easily.  He isn't strong enough to retain the ball.  He's a different player after the injury.  He's greedy.  He's arrogant.  Doesn't deserve the plaudits he gets, never has.  All in all, he's utter sh***.

Just like he was last time he had a bad match.  And the time before that.  And the time before that.  For the last 9 or so years.  (His first year, he was everyone's favorite "wonderboy" who could do no wrong apparently)  I know football is based heavily off recent performances, but the truth is that Owen isn't still riding on that one match in St. Etienne.  He's currently riding on providing 4 points for Newcastle in the league with two important goals, and four goals for England in the last 5 competitive matches in which he played (aided, yes, and rightly so, by his reputation of 10 years).  

His first full 90 after another injury layoff, and he looked "rusty" on the shot.  He's done it before after an injury (see earlier this season, up to the Wigan game)  I'll give him a longer run out before I'm willing to look a fool saying he's finished and then in two or three matches he hits his stride.  And no England waiting around the corner to crock him again this time so Newcastle might actually get to enjoy his "stride".  Truth is, Owen has always been streaky -- look at his Liverpool record, even in the Treble year.  Did he play well today?  Not for Michael Owen.  For a less gifted striker, eh...not so bad.  But for Owen, that was well below standard. Slate the performance, (it was far from his best performance) but declaring the player "finished" seems premature.

I'm more worried about those players for whom such performances do not appear to be "below standard" but rather "standard".  Players who don't have Owen's record (recent [by which I mean the last 4-5 mos. not the last 4-5 days] or long-term) to fall back on.

thought he was neat and tidy first half to be honest, none existant in the second.

sounds a cliche but he needs games, every time he gets anywhere near back he goes down injured again.

if he strings a few ganmes together and we start to create a few chances in a game he'll still put them away.

would still like to see us sell him though

Guest Ridzuan

No he is not past it.He just needs some decent delivery into the box and he will get you the goals.If he went to a bigger club now,I think he would have no problem scoring goals regularly.

Guest Anders Rye

If Martins missed the two chances, where he was alone with the keeper, Owen has in the last two games Martins would be slated. Owen is terrible, no pace and no movement, all he is is a small player on the field.

Far too early to judge after injury, simple as that.

And when do you think that time has come? In four years time? Everyone says that Martins i cack, but it is beyond me, what MO has done for the goods of this club. Marcelino was called a mercenary? That was probably because he is spanish?!?!? Anyway, I still hope we'll get rid of him.

If Martins missed the two chances, where he was alone with the keeper, Owen has in the last two games Martins would be slated. Owen is terrible, no pace and no movement, all he is is a small player on the field.

Agreed

And when do you think that time has come? In four years time? Everyone says that Martins i cack, but it is beyond me, what MO has done for the goods of this club. Marcelino was called a mercenary? That was probably because he is spanish?!?!? Anyway, I still hope we'll get rid of him.

In what way is Owen a mercenary?  Yes he's had lots of injuries but to call him a mercenary suggests you don't think they are genuine.

If you think Owen is past it and not good enough - fine. Hard to disagree given his form since returning from the last major injury. I fail to see how that makes Martins any better or good enough either though.

Owen has done nothing major. 1st game back after injury what does anyone expect? He has lost pace, but you never lose talent. It even took Shearer a fair bit to recover after major injury.

Guest Kadafi

Owen is still class! I know he dosent give a shit about Newcastle but still i feel sorry for the lad for not getting the service hes used to. Put Owen in any top 4 club and you got your self a 20+ goalscorer.

As slow as Kev.

Probably still our best pure finisher though.

It's terribly unbecoming to poke fun at the mentally challenged

who the f*** do you think you are?

dave i dont give a toss if you ban me for this but im sick of wankers on this shitty forum, full of complete utter wankers who know f*** all, all they want to do is try n take the piss out of a 14 yr old...sad really

im not just picking you, its everyone

jamie is too scared to say this on his account and rang me to tell you this dave: you are a sad c*** whos never off this forum

:kasper:

dont deny it!

you always call him and tell me to say things to him

now i got sick and eventually did...

I don't think he's 'past it' necessarily.  I just don't think his heart's in it to play for Newcastle United.  [i was going to add 'anymore' but thought better of it] 

From my own experience of playing football*, I know that if your heart's not in playing, you usually look about half as good as you actually are.

* Cue the posts ridiculing me for drawing comparisons between my experiences of amateur football and those of a Premiership footballer.