Why is this forum so negative ?

Benwell Lad

So what happens in the future when all the fans in the ground are too young to remember the bad old days?

Face facts, fans can only refer to what they've seen with their own eyes. I'm sure we're having it much better than certain points in our history, but it doesn't excuse mistakes, and it shouldn't make anyone immune critisism.

Guest Brewcastle

After feeling like being raped every week for the last 13 years im not that positive anymore

Not 13 but after Bobby was sacked..

Trust me mate the last 13 years supporting NUFC has been like heaven compared to the 30 years before that.

Can't say I agree - as I'm too young - but I share the sentiment that people want too much too quickly. I guess we'll be the ones still supporting the team when we next get relegated...whether that's in 5 years or 50 years.

Top post.

Yes  :thup:. I'll support the club to the grave. It's a kind of addiction I can't help. For that reason I feel like to be betraied when the play is S**** for long periods. Then the forum is a good place to get out some frustration, and to be brought back to earth. That helps to continue supporting The Lads in the same way, year after year.

And to be honest. It have been some S*** to put finger on  blueyes.gif . And NUFC is a BIG club that shall have ambitions blueyes.gif

So what happens in the future when all the fans in the ground are too young to remember the bad old days?

Face facts, fans can only refer to what they've seen with their own eyes. I'm sure we're having it much better than certain points in our history, but it doesn't excuse mistakes, and it doesn't excuse critisism.

OK granted you can't refer to that which you did not experience.

Put another way, think about the eighty odd football league teams (and their fans) who would love to have what NUFC has.

Or even another way,  think about our closest rivals in the "city" ten miles down the road.

Do we still have a lot to complain and moan about ?

Face facts, fans can only refer to what they've seen with their own eyes. I'm sure we're having it much better than certain points in our history, but it doesn't excuse mistakes, and it doesn't excuse critisism.

Put another way, think about the eighty odd football league teams (and their fans) who would love to have what NUFC has.

Or even another way,  think about our closest rivals in the "city" ten miles down the road.

:coolsmiley:

Why are the majority of contributors to this board so negative about Newcastle United ?

It may be an old notion but aren't football supporters supposed to be stoically upbeat about their team through thick and thin especially those who don't mind sometimes being referred to as "the best in England"

I'm one of the older posters on here and along with a few others can remember REALLY bad times.  Some on here have had no NUFC supporting experience outside the top league, and most of that has been sprinkled with high league placings, European football and decent cup runs. And yet we get page after page deriding the club and whinging on about how bad things are and how "s****" all our highly paid internationals are.

Imagine (god forbid) we'd been born mackems - now they have had it rough - compared to them we ARE a success story.

Even today's top post is just loaded with miserable self pity and jokes about how bad it is going to be to play Arsenal away. Twenty or thirty years ago we'd have been salivating about that draw and getting ready to queue up Barrack Road for hours to get a ticket, before heading south to take over North London for an afternoon, being totally defiant about our chances and "upping" our players despite having a much worse team and much less chance than we will have this time (assuming we beat Stoke of course ??)

This board has it's mackem stooges masquerading as NUFC fans to stir things up and it's share of moaners (just like "that bloke" who sits behind you at the match annoying the sh*t out of you) but it seems that everyone is getting dragged into it.

Right now we are in a period of transition with new (wealthy) owners, a manager attempting to change the ethos of the team and club, and new players.

Get behind them, we've sang the songs about loyalist supporters, Geordie boot boys etc - we should try living up to it.

100% right imo..... I dont post often and just tend to read the posts.... it would be nice to know how many of the regular posters actually stood on the Gallowgate when David Kelly rifled in a half volley v Portsmouth to give us a 1-0 win in 91/92 season and virtually help save this club from doing a Leeds and falling into the old Division 3. The days before that were the bad days....a ramshackle of a ground....no internationals and a dream of being in the top flight. Those were the SHIT days. Get off Sam's back and let him do what he came to do, he says its a 3 year job so give him the length of his contract. The top 2 teams in this country constantly over the past 15 years have been Man U and Arsenal. Both clubs have had stability....lets give Sam a chance to prove the negative doom mongers amongst you wrong.

There is no doubt that they would all love to be where we are right now. But that suggests we should rest on our laurels, happy to simply be in the top division every year. Happy to be above loads of other teams.

Where I personally (and I'm sure many others) get so disillusioned is when I think about where we could be, with this stadium, these facilities, this ridiculously loyal fanbase etc etc. And before anyone points it out, I know the previous board helped us to get to that status.

It's a terrible cliché, but we're the classic example of a sleeping giant. A 'could do better'. I don't see the issue with wanting the best. Of course there are loads of knee-jerking mongs (on the forums and at SJP), but who takes notice of them? I certainly don't.

the only thing i hate is people banging on about the elusive "trophy".

Dont care if i never see us lift a trophy, so long as we play fast, direct, on the floor sweeping football. Thats the only time I get down, when I can stand 200 miles away from home, freezing on boxing day when i should be with my daughter, watching time after time a long ball failing to reach our strikers and then us defending like clowns against vastly inferior players.

There is no doubt that they would all love to be where we are right now. But that suggests we should rest on our laurels, happy to simply be in the top division every year. Happy to be above loads of other teams.

Where I personally (and I'm sure many others) get so disillusioned is when I think about where we could be, with this stadium, these facilities, this ridiculously loyal fanbase etc etc. And before anyone points it out, I know the previous board helped us to get to that status.

It's a terrible cliché, but we're the classic example of a sleeping giant. A 'could do better'. I don't see the issue with wanting the best. Of course there are loads of knee-jerking mongs (on the forums and at SJP), but who takes notice of them? I certainly don't.

On a side-note, that's what wor lass calls me chopper.

Why would she call your bike a sleeping giant Keefaz?

I know things have been bad recently with souness roeder and the current situtation but we are right at the bottom of changing the club around.  We cant keep changing stuff or we'll stay in the same spiral.

I've been negative in the past myself. 

We need to stand by NUFC and support Mort and SA this time.  Things wont change quickly but they will change for the better eventually.

It's a terrible cliché, but we're the classic example of a small penis. A 'could do better'. I don't see the issue with wanting the best. Of course there are loads of knee-jerking mongs (on the forums and at SJP), but who takes notice of them? I certainly don't.

:razz:

People can be cruel about impotence.

Guest GAMMELL

:lol: :lol:

Thank you for a somewhat long and constructive post. Always nice to see good old loyal fans around. I can't defend other people's views and opinions, but I can tell you mine. Being a foreigner, coming from Norway, I started to support Newcastle because Alan Shearer signed for you. Back in 1994 when he was playing for Blackburn, his side went to Norway during the summer to play against the Norwegian side Vaalerenga (Vålerenga). This was actually a big attraction of the famous Norway Cup, which is played every year at Ekebergsletta close to Oslo. I was lucky enough to personally shake his hand, and talk to him for a couple of minutes after the game. Later on that evening, at the age of 10 (still not knowing what EPL was), I were to decide which team to support in England. The final choice became Alan Shearer and Blackburn, with Man Utd on a good second place (Man Utd does not have a place anymore ;) ) The rest, well.. it's history..

I've never been in Newcastle, never seen a live game, but I see almost every match the team is playing on TV ... the rest I pick up from internet forums and news....My best moment's got to be the Kelloggs commercial with Keegan and Newcasle :lol:, and the worst is sacking Sir Bobby Robson (so ashamed) :-[.

After the takeover, I honestly expected us to do what other takeover-clubs do (like man city and my "Swedish  neighbour" Sven Göran) buy and transform the club - totally. Some part of me actually expected us to do a Chelsea - which today would have suited me well. But that didn't happen.

Instead we were going another way, buy clever and buy long-term, now... how can any of you say we have done that? Yes, we have 2-3 good signings this summer (faye, beye and enrique), but it's this 'other way' I don't understand. I don't think Man City has just splashed the cash playing Russian Rullette - Sven Göran has proven he can rebuild a club given just part of the summer (even coming in later than Allardyce).

Futher, one can draw a comparsion between Sam Allardyce and Joey Barton with the headline : You get what you pay for. Most Newcastle fans want attacking (almost gung-ho) football with fast, technical players dribbling the oppositions butt off in true Asprilla style - Allardyce does not have such a working philosophy. You clearly see that from the players he have brought in (trying to stabilize - yes  but not aiming to play attracting and attacking football). Moving over to Joey Barton believing he would stay out of trouble was nothing but hope, you think Vinny Jones would turn into a good boy if we brought him from Wimbledon? Nope, again, you gt what you pay for.

I'm pretty undecided as to wether Sam is the man to turn things around. I have no doubt what so ever that he is a very very good manager, and that he can handle pressure. In fact he, as anyone else, can be successful. And I think he will turn things around at our club given time, but he will do it the way he is confident of doing it - and that's where my uncertainty about Sam really is. I don't want us to play boring football with long balls (In true Egil "Drillo" Olsen style) Hoofing the ball up to a tiny Oba Martins and an unfit Owen, who both clearly aren't shaped to reach the "Crouch height", and then hope for the best - or look at it another way : So Sam can later on comment on SSN - "We pumped the ball up, unfortunatley Martins and Owen weren't there to get it, but we defended well and just conceeded / didn't conceed". My point is - you get what you pay for and people do their job in accordance to their abilities, their experience - in short they way they are confident of doing it. Just the way you do our every-day-job, right ? You do it the way you know it worked yesterday.

People here complain about the way we are playing, the way things have turned since the summer - it's a transformation - a transformation into the Allardyce style (see above - the way he knows he has succeeded in the past). And I think that the players we see that don't play well, is the players that will leave sooner or later. Not because they aren't playing well, but because they can't adapt to Sam's style.

So will a different, and maybe more reputated manager, do any better? Well, for once, if *he get the financial backup needed, and in truth that's expected from Ashley. Maybe. We might build ourself a team of stars.

Will we see a different style of play? Certainly.

Are we guaranteed success? Not at all. But logically speaking - a more reputated manager will have greater experience handling different aspects and his successess in the past should give him a better chance of succeeding now.

*he and him = referring to a new manager.

In other words, I highly doubt Sam Allardyce is the man to turn Newcastle into the playing side most people would like to see. But he will succeed at the things he's good at.

Thanks for reading. *puh*

Mort and Ashley are more interested in balancing the books in the short term and to build the playing side medium/long term. That is clear in nearly every utterance from Mort. Time will tell.

i dont see the point in these introspective threads going on about certain fans not being worthy enough or not having the right perspective (ergo damaging the club, tho not neccessarily said in this particular OP). are the fans of chelsea, man utd, liverpool and arsenal mustache-stroking, pipe-smoking, poet-philosopher-princes who spent 10 years in tibet pondering their clubs place in the universe in order to support them appropriately or assess their value to the correct degree? nah, those clubs have far more mongish, impatient, hanger-on and glory-hunter fans than our club will ever have but they're also way more successful than us.

anyway back on point, as someone else said, there's simply more to talk about when things arent so great, no one phones into talk radio to talk about how great speed bumps are, even tho they do a job calming traffic. look at RAWK, liverpool havent done badly under rafa and there's plenty good to talk about at the club, yet they'll still pick up on little issues that concern them, even if the overall picture at the club is better than at 99% of clubs round the world. likewise you wouldnt tell someone in the UK to stop complainig about our govt just cos russia's govt is worse, it's relative. that carlisle or scunthorpe would love to be in our position isn't that relevant.

Mort and Ashley are more interested in balancing the books in the short term and to build the playing side medium/long term. That is clear in nearly every utterance from Mort. Time will tell.

too early to say, could be that they dont want to entrust allardyce with big funds and are 'keeping the powder dry' to use a phrase from our recent past. is a worry if the policy continues into next summer tho.

i dont see the point in these introspective threads going on about certain fans not being worthy enough or not having the right perspective (ergo damaging the club, tho not neccessarily said in this particular OP). are the fans of chelsea, man utd, liverpool and arsenal mustache-stroking, pipe-smoking, poet-philosopher-princes who spent 10 years in tibet pondering their clubs place in the universe in order to support them appropriately or assess their value to the correct degree? nah, those clubs have far more mongish, impatient, hanger-on and glory-hunter fans than our club will ever have but they're also way more successful than us.

anyway back on point, as someone else said, there's simply more to talk about when things arent so great, no one phones into talk radio to talk about how great speed bumps are, even tho they do a job calming traffic. look at RAWK, liverpool havent done badly under rafa and there's plenty good to talk about at the club, yet they'll still pick up on little issues that concern them, even if the overall picture at the club is better than at 99% of clubs round the world. likewise you wouldnt tell someone in the UK to stop complainig about our govt just cos russia's govt is worse, it's relative. that carlisle or scunthorpe would love to be in our position isn't that relevant.

Very well put.