Which of our players are good enough to help us finish top six?

Rich
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I actually voted for everyone bar Carr and Ameobi, provided that if those two were released/sold they were replaed with 2 quality players (Wes Brown + a central midfielder) and we added a 22nd man (RM) to replace Nolberto Solano.

EDIT: I'm amused that in 46 votes, Carr has 0 and Ameobi has 1.

given - shown hes a class keeper

beye - shown me enough in a shit side thats hes a very good player, easily walk into the top 6

taylor - young, has the ability and hes determined to win this, very good young player that only does a few minor errors

faye - big, strong and looks like the only good centre half who plays well for 90minutes every week

emre - wasted with fat sam in charge, should be starting for us to get into top 6

nzogbia - dont need to say anything about charlie...

milner - excelent young winger

martins - just needs to work on control, other than that hes a goalscorer and will provide enough for a top 6 finish under the right manager

Given, Beye, Faye, N'Zogbia, Owen, Martins, Viduka. Purely for a first team in the top six. We've got too many squad players and, as we all know (and this blatantly seems to show) not enough quality midfielders.

Enrique, Emre and Duff all have 'special mentions'.

Given, Beye, Enrique, Faye, Owen and Zog.

Those were my choices, plus Martins as a useful squad player.

The reasons I didn't include Enrique, Owen and Martins in my selection were; not played enough games to be sure yet, too injury prone, and too erratic, respectively, but all of them could potentially be there if they can rectify those issues I reckon.

I have relatively high hopes for Enrique, still think Owen could probably do it if the team is playing well enough for him (and he's fit), and Martins can offer something different from the bench - again, when used correctly.

Given, Beye, Enrique, Faye, Owen and Zog.

Those were my choices, plus Martins as a useful squad player.

The reasons I didn't include Enrique, Owen and Martins in my selection were; not played enough games to be sure yet, too injury prone, and too erratic, respectively, but all of them could potentially be there if they can rectify those issues I reckon.

I have relatively high hopes for Enrique, still think Owen could probably do it if the team is playing well enough for him (and he's fit), and Martins can offer something different from the bench - again, when used correctly.

So we agree then. ;)

How does everyone feel about Cacapa? He's seemed to fallen down the rankings of late.

I'm still confident he can play a part here, he has shown far too much class at times to be written off already. There is a danger of the "Boumsong" about him, who also looked solid to begin with before he/we destroyed his confidence, but hopefully if he's used more sparingly then we should start seeing him thrive again.

I don't think he'll be a regular starter, but I don't doubt he's a good influence to have at the club and that he can only help the likes of Taylor to improve. He probably doesn't have the physical presence, like Rozehnal, to ever be really top-drawer for us, but he should be good enough when necessary. If you consider Taylor/Faye as our first-choice pair, which I would assume plenty do, then Rozehnal/Cacapa look like very strong back-up when you consider the players we've had to play there in the recent past.

They should only get better as they adjust to the country/game, as well.

I don't think I'd consider Taylor a starter atm. He had one good game against a Championship side. He's got a long way to go before he proves that he's capable of starting for us because in the previous few games that he's played, he's been as dodgy as he has been all season. Even though he's shown small signs of improvement, I'd really like to see him step up his game now that Faye's gonna be gone. It'll be a big month for him. The fact that we'll be left with two relative newcomers to the league means the onus is truly on Taylor to hold the fort until Faye comes back. It is really a big month for him and a big chance for him to prove that he deserves a new and improved contract.

How does everyone feel about Cacapa? He's seemed to fallen down the rankings of late.

I'm still confident he can play a part here, he has shown far too much class at times to be written off already. There is a danger of the "Boumsong" about him, who also looked solid to begin with before he/we destroyed his confidence, but hopefully if he's used more sparingly then we should start seeing him thrive again.

I don't think he'll be a regular starter, but I don't doubt he's a good influence to have at the club and that he can only help the likes of Taylor to improve. He probably doesn't have the physical presence, like Rozehnal, to ever be really top-drawer for us, but he should be good enough when necessary. If you consider Taylor/Faye as our first-choice pair, which I would assume plenty do, then Rozehnal/Cacapa look like very strong back-up when you consider the players we've had to play there in the recent past.

They should only get better as they adjust to the country/game, as well.

Fair assessment, i happen to think that theres no way that he'll be Boumsong, he's shown a lot of bottle already after the Portsmouth game, he came back like a man who knows what he's capable of. He hasnt really had too many bad games, its just a case that he may have one glaring weakness (being dominated by big strikers) to his game which will always hinder him. Still a very good player.

I don't think I'd consider Taylor a starter atm. He had one good game against a Championship side. He's got a long way to go before he proves that he's capable of starting for us because in the previous few games that he's played, he's been as dodgy as he has been all season. Even though he's shown small signs of improvement, I'd really like to see him step up his game now that Faye's gonna be gone. It'll be a big month for him.

For all his mistakes, I can't help that he'll only improve the more he plays. He doesn't seem the sort of character that will be eaten up by playing for NUFC and I think him getting a regular game and getting through the sticky patches which he has undoubtedly suffered will be the making of him.

The lad has huge potential, despite the tide starting to turn against him, and I'm prepared to keep allowing for a few mistakes here and there if he keeps performing with spirit and desire.

If we had other options which I was convinced were far better than him, then obviously I may think differently. As it stands, he's probably worth the gamble.

Even if Wes Brown were to arrive, I think I'd be more in favour of keeping Taylor in defence and moving Faye into the centre of the park to give us more height/power in the spine of the team.

I don't think I'd consider Taylor a starter atm. He had one good game against a Championship side. He's got a long way to go before he proves that he's capable of starting for us because in the previous few games that he's played, he's been as dodgy as he has been all season. Even though he's shown small signs of improvement, I'd really like to see him step up his game now that Faye's gonna be gone. It'll be a big month for him. The fact that we'll be left with two relative newcomers to the league means the onus is truly on Taylor to hold the fort until Faye comes back. It is really a big month for him and a big chance for him to prove that he deserves a new and improved contract.

To be honest i dont think Taylor will make it as a big premiership defender, he has all the attributes to be an excellent defender but i think he's a bit slow up top. Not as slow as Bramble but slow. The other problem i thnk he has is that he's not sure what type of defender he should be, with Faye he needs to be the one who reads the game and gets good positioning but if he plays with anyone else he needs to be the commited defender, i dont think theres another defender in the permiership whi has that problem.

To be honest i dont think Taylor will make it as a big premiership defender, he has all the attributes to be an excellent defender but i think he's a bit slow up top. Not as slow as Bramble but slow. The other problem i thnk he has is that he's not sure what type of defender he should be, with Faye he needs to be the one who reads the game and gets good positioning but if he plays with anyone else he needs to be the commited defender, i dont think theres another defender in the permiership whi has that problem.

Finding his feet. Give him time. I do agree with you that he has a few problems which is why I hesitate to make him a regular starter but Rich is right in that he's got loads of potential and we don't have anyone better at the club atm so he's gotta start. I'm also pretty sure that with his contract up in the air, he'll perform better now that more responsibility is placed on his shoulders.

Finding his feet. Give him time. I do agree with you that he has a few problems which is why I hesitate to make him a regular starter but Rich is right in that he's got loads of potential and we don't have anyone better at the club atm so he's gotta start. I'm also pretty sure that with his contract up in the air, he'll perform better now that more responsibility is placed on his shoulders.

I hope so, i see big potential in him as well, but its strange that as of yet i havent a clue what type of defender he is.

The defence, keepers and wingers. To get us in the top 6 i'd sell all our central midfielders and strikers bringing in about £35m and probably cutting the wage bill and average age of the squad in half. Then we just need to find 3 midfielders and 3 strikers + 1 who can play both positions, oh and a backup left back and a right winger to replace Milner. easy peasy

Beye and Given are kicking arse here, the latter is a bigger surprise to me personally. Good to see he's still rated.

96% each from 74 votes as it stands at the time of posting.

The Zog is rated by 93% so far and Faye by 92%.

I personally find it heartening that we have a good few players who are still supported by the vast, vast majority, and that Stephen Carr has 0 votes from 77.