If Big Sam got given a few seasons, would he ever have taken us in to Europe?

hakka
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Still reeling from the shock of his exist, I'm keen to know what people think Sam would have achieved if he stayed and got the time he wanted.  Would have he got us in to Europe via a Top 6 finish? if so how long would it have taken him in your opinion?

Sam would have improved us a great deal in the summer in regards to making a side capable of playing to his style of play, January and the Summer 2009 would have improved us further, my predictions:

This season - Top 12

Next Season - Top 8

2009/2010 - Top 6

Was looking forward to it aswell, aw well

Still reeling from the shock of his exist, I'm keen to know what people think Sam would have achieved if he stayed and got the time he wanted.  Would have he got us in to Europe via a Top 6 finish? if so how long would it have taken him in your opinion?

:clap:

freudian

Had very little doubt given time and backing sam would have done the business for us, albeit maybe not cracking the top four but pretty close.

still shocked. Angry, time will tell if the next appointment and this sacking where the right long term decisons.

I reckon we'd have shown improvement next season, been top half to top 6 come the end of it, and reckon we'd have been fighting for Europe for sure by the end of his 3rd season.

I agree but instead of being a little angry about the whole thing I'm going to wait until tomorrow when hopefully more questions will get answered. Feeling pretty gutted right now and actually feel a bit sorry for Sam (yeah he'll get £ but I was a big supporter of his). I felt we'd do a bit of an aston villa and be a lot more stable next year and have more finacial force in the summer but thats out the window now.

............the only thing that'd make us all happier would of course be a really top manager that was backed by Mike. Fingers crossed.

Sam would have improved us a great deal in the summer in regards to making a side capable of playing to his style of play, January and the Summer 2009 would have improved us further, my predictions:

This season - Top 12

Next Season - Top 8

2009/2010 - Top 6

i saw nothing to suspect there would be any improvment

:clap:

freudian

lol... :frantic:

This season - Top 12

Next Season - Top 8

2009/2010 - Top 6

Didnt have all of the right players for his 4-3-3 style to effectively work though

This season - Top 12

Next Season - Top 8

2009/2010 - Top 6

Didnt have all of the right players for his 4-3-3 style to effectively work though

then dont play it.....use the best tactics for the squad you have whichwas how he arrived at the bolton 4-3-3 inn the first place..(they played 4-4-2 at home and 4-5-1 when they first came up.)

he couldnt adapt to a new club

Probably, but the extra money from being there would have to compensate for all the empty seats in SJP because of the awful football on display.

That's something that everyone is glossing over as well. Mort and Ashley are running a business, much like Shepherd did, their first thought has got to be this and this only: how many punters will we get through the gates on a matchday?

If we continued to play this football and achieve these results, say with a finish of 12th, how many people would renew this summer?

Losing that income must be a frightening prospect for the people in charge, especially when it was Shepherd here (who didn't have the money Ashley does.)

Probably, but the extra money from being there would have to compensate for all the empty seats in SJP because of the awful football on display.

That's something that everyone is glossing over as well. Mort and Ashley are running a business, much like Shepherd did, their first thought has got to be this and this only: how many punters will we get through the gates on a matchday?

If we continued to play this football and achieve these results, say with a finish of 12th, how many people would renew this summer?

Losing that income must be a frightening prospect for the people in charge, especially when it was Shepherd here (who didn't have the money Ashley does.)

Season ticket renewals could well be in jeopardy anyway, should we appoint someone like Redknapp or certainly someone like McClaren. I wonder if they realise that.

That sort of appointment, on the whole, wouldn't be popular.

The mad thing about this thread which highlights the problems we have as fans is that, although predicting what he might of achieved with us is a moot point, a very high percentage of football fans still actually belivied that he would eventually achieve our primary goal.

Its shocking that people acknowledge that he had a good chance of achievieng something but didnt have the patience to wait, because that essentially is what is highlighted by this thread.

The mad thing about this thread which highlights the problems we have as fans is that, although predicting what he might of achieved with us is a moot point, a very high percentage of football fans still actually belivied that he would eventually achieve our primary goal.

Its shocking that people acknowledge that he had a good chance of achievieng something but didnt have the patience to wait, because that essentially is what is highlighted by this thread.

I didn't want rid don't look at me :)

Wait till 'Arry is appointed. There will be tears I tell thee.

This season - Top 12

Next Season - Top 8

2009/2010 - Top 6

then dont play it.....use the best tactics for the squad you have whichwas how he arrived at the bolton 4-3-3 inn the first place..(they played 4-4-2 at home and 4-5-1 when they first came up.)

Couldn't agree more.

Allardyce's lack of adaptability, especially without board backing in order to recruit the type of two-sided creative forward needed to make the 433 work offensively, would've driven us to the cusp of being relegated.

Guest Brewcastle

Couldn't agree more.

Allardyce's lack of adaptability, especially without board backing in order to recruit the type of two-sided creative forward needed to make the 433 work offensively, would've driven us to the cusp of being relegated.

I guess your right. The relegation scenario was closer than the table could tell. 9 points sounds safe. But with stubborn Sam, playing with tactics (?) that doesn't fit his aviable squad at all. We surely would lose more points than teams below us fighting for surviving. 

Voted within 3 years but I think any half decent manager, given the players here and the money that would probably be available, would be able to accomplish that.

We're not looking for 6th place in 3 seasons, we have to aim higher and look at Champions League football in 3 seasons. Allardyce wouldn't have been able to do that imo.

This is one of reasons that I made this thread, to see what peoples expectations of Sam were. It's funny, in recent weeks I've seen a lot of "Big Sam Out" comments, however I've not read much from these people now.  The majority are shocked and think he should have had more time, yet the polls suggested 50/50 split.  Perhaps people are more shocked that they got there knee jerked wish.

The sadest thing about this all, is that it may take even longer with the next manager to get back in to Europe than it would have been if we just stuck with Sam. 

what a stupid thread. how can we know and why bother speculate when he is already gone...

By sacking Sam, Mort/Ashley are effectively saying he couldn't have delivered European football within an acceptable timescale so I'd have thought it was perfectly reasonable to ask whether we agree.