If it is.....

Guest hindu times

Guest hindu times

....... Keegan and Shearer what would you think?

There seems to be a growing amount of rumours flying around that Keegan will be involved somehow (maybe DOF).

I'd be horrified.

Unfortunately, nowt is unrealistic at this stage. Maybe Ashley sitting with the fans has realised that the negative football is unpopular, has binned Allardyce, knows the fans want attacking football... ting! Keegan did that 12 years ago!

I'd be more happy than Redknapp or Hughes.

IF it is Keegan (which i doubt) I can only imagine Ashley is trying to bring the "good old days" back, by saying "Alright Kev, theres £100m, buy who you want and get us back to the top"

(For the record I don't want Keegan)

i would take keegan till the end of the season, we aint going to get relegated and it would be entertaining for once to watch us play. then if he does well give him a bit longer. i can see it happening but i still doubt it will happen

Guest Reservoir Mags

Would prefer someone in the mould of Morinho, Lippi, Hitzfeld or Van Gaal as unlikely (realistically) as any of these are.  From the more realistic options, compared to a Redknapp, Hughes, McLaren or Hoddle then I'd prefer a Keegan/Shearer partnership, if only because it would be an audacious risk that might just come off.  For what it's worth though I don't see it happening either, neither of them need the grief or the money.

What does Keegan know that make people think he'd be a good choice as DOF?

Nothing. We may as well just make him club ambassador, and give him the money to set up several soccer schools in the area, as that is a good as we'd get from him.

what, in anyones opinion, thinks a man with ashleys record of acheivement would give keegan the job (with his record of underacheivement and failure)?

just out of interest?  since when did internet betting websites determine what will actually happen in reality?  in fact they should probably be regarded as the "anti-truth" in instances like this

if it's keegan or shearer i'll eat my own shit

betting websites are sometimes a good indicator but it seems in this instance they are folowing rumours whether true or untrue so basically this time they cant be used to show who its likely to be. in newcastle alot of fans will have been betting aswell which destorts the truth.

Odds slashed on Keegan for Newcastle job

LADBROKES has slashed the odds on Kevin Keegan making a return to the helm at St James's Park after a flurry of best on the fans' favourite.

The high street bookmakers' had former England boss Keegan listed as a 30/1 outsider this morning, but that was cut to 7/1 a short time ago.

Fans have staked their cash on the Messiah making a return to Tynesdie to lift Newcastle out of mid-table.

During his last spell in the 1990's Keegan saved teh Magpies from relegation to the old Third Division and within two season's had transformed them into a top side in the Premiership.

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/nufc/Odds-slashed-on-Keegan-for.3662281.jp

Guest thenorthumbrian

No one who who was supporting Newcastle in the few years before Keegan took over as manager can ever have anything but total affection for the man, he had a tremendous, positive affect on the club.

The football was great to watch and it was exciting times to be a Newcastle fan, no one should underestmate that.

But times have moved on and we need to be looking to the future, not the past.

No one who who was supporting Newcastle before Keegan took over as manager can ever have anything but total affection for the man, he had a tremendous, positive affect on the club.

The football was great to watch and it was exciting times to be a Newcastle fan, no one should underestmate that.

But times have moved on and we need to be looking to the future, not the past.

this

IF it is Keegan (which i doubt) I can only imagine Ashley is trying to bring the "good old days" back, by saying "Alright Kev, theres £100m, buy who you want and get us back to the top"

I don't want Keegan either. I don't think he could do it now. Part of the thing when he was here was that it was all new, he was enthusiastic, and had a spark about him. He had passion and drive and was able to use that to convince/charm and motivate the players - and also the fans. I think that his managerial career since he left took a lot of that out of him.

ashley has a history and reputation as a maverick decision maker..the fact that "everyone" thinks he'll follow the usual path amuses me

expect surprises

what is ashley's history as a decision maker? when he buys brands they're almost always traditional british names and he's yet to try and acquire a big foreign brand. his excursions abroad are far and few between, limited exposure for sports direct over there, others are brief and exploitative ie adidas shareholdings. his boards are staffed by people he's comfortable with and have trusted for years like dave forsey who has worked under him for 20 years. when newcomers arrive they have trouble assimilating into the unique business style for instance dave richardson left saying he couldn;t adapt and establish a working relationship with the board.

all this leads me to believe the manager ashley wants is redknapp, who ashley's best mate for 30 years paul kelmsley wanted for spurs, who ashley knows and owned a horse with, a traditional british manager yet also a slightly dodgy outsider and not part of the "establishment" (just like ashley), experienced and already employed, who utilises attacking football.

Guest thenorthumbrian

I don't want Keegan either. I don't think he could do it now. Part of the thing when he was here was that it was all new, he was enthusiastic, and had a spark about him. He had passion and drive and was able to use that to convince/charm and motivate the players - and also the fans. I think that his managerial career since he left took a lot of that out of him.

Agreed, the circumstances were unique and would be extremely difficult to replicate.

I loved the Keegan era but Newcastle fans and Kevin himself shouldn't allow the two way affection we have (I think Keegan might be swayed by his affection for us) to influence what happens now.

I know this is a massive simplification but in my book Director of Football means trouble.

How many experienced or confident managers would choose to work with a DoF? How many would entertain the idea?

But Shearer isn't experienced nor do I think he'd be confident by himself, which is surely the whole point of the idea of Keegan as a director of Football.