Ashley has failed Newcastle United.

Parky

Under the circumstances what other options did they have?

Surely they cant of backed a dead man walking.

Surely they couldnt let the oppurtunity for a new guy o have his window come, it seems plainly obvious to me that Ashley wants to pour the money on us but not under Allardyce's guidance.

EDIT: Also if Dirty 'Arry accepting this fat wedge wasnt a cert then i dont know what is,  what more could Ashley do? Maybe Mort didnt put it in a brown papaer bag?

They should have either sacked Allardyce earlier or waited until the summer.

Don't see how this could be called Morshley's first test, they've got loads of stuff spot on.

Backed the manager with funds

Ensured financial stability

Conversed with fans

Competents on the bar at half time

Electronic clocks

etc.

People were praising them to the hilt until this week.

They HAVE failed this test though.

I don't see how they've failed this "test" yet as we haven't appointed anybody yet.

you've been quiet the last few days. If this had been the fat b******, you'd have been slating him right left and centre

To be fair NE5 it depends on who is appointed, if it is someone ala SBR then we'll have done well, if it turns out to be a Souness type appointment then the shit will really fly from everyone!

of course. I also wouldn't necessarily say the "timing" is wrong for the same reason. If anything, if they get someone in who sees immediately what the team needs, and takes good action while the window is still open with half the season left, then it would all work out quite well.

In fairness to HF and Parky, the only get-out clause for Mort/Ashley pulling the trigger on Allardyce was if we replaced him with our first-choice immediately afterwards. Then they'd be covered by the fact that their "plan" had worked brilliantly and they'd executed it exactly the way they had intended to (even if the truth is that Redknapp wasn't sounded out properly prior, which is apparently illegal anyway). The fact is that this hasn't happened and so they've left themselves with a bigger hole to dig themselves out of.

I'm disappointed in things so far, it must be said. Even if the next manager proves to be a success, they'll always have the "but Redknapp was our first choice anyway, so they got lucky" stick to beat them with. The real work starts now for them, as Parky has intimated already.

If the next manager is a success I'll not give Redknapp a second thought.

I think they sacked Allardyce because they supported a manager that they hadn't chosen themselves but wanted to give him the opportunity to show what he could do.  The football was shite and the results were just as bad so they made a decision to get rid of him, a decision which has probably been made at the wrong time due to the transfer window firstly and managers being mid-season secondly.

Did you expect a lawyer chairman to tap somebody up?  I didn't.

But of course if this is clearly the wrong time it makes one wonder how much of it was a sacking or a disagreement. Perhaps big Sam and Mort had a 'back or sack' moment? There is no way this could have been their real strategy ie sack SA mid window and then make 11th hr phone calls to Nappy with (in their minds) an offer he couldn't refuse. Which he has. Which means he wasn't sounded out even at the g g's. lol.

of course. I also wouldn't necessarily say the "timing" is wrong for the same reason. If anything, if they get someone in who sees immediately what the team needs, and takes good action while the window is still open with half the season left, then it would all work out quite well.

The timing is wrong, they should have made a decision earlier if his future was in doubt or left it until the end of the season.  Half of the transfer window has almost gone and we have problems which need sorting with the team.

They haven't got a f****** clue like.

it's just possible they have more of a clue than you think.

was redkanpp offered the job or did he pull out at the "talks" stage..the statement mentione that they have "spoken to a number of potential candidates"

could it be he wasn't actually offered the job but we wanted to talk to him,aswell as others with a view to deciding who would be best for us

They haven't got a fucking clue like.

Can't put into words how annoying these sort of statements are. Exactly what do you know about whats actually going and not what you've read on here, in the papers and from 'ITKs'?

Wait till you know the full story.

In fairness to HF and Parky, the only get-out clause for Mort/Ashley pulling the trigger on Allardyce was if we replaced him with our first-choice immediately afterwards. Then they'd be covered by the fact that their "plan" had worked brilliantly and they'd executed it exactly the way they had intended to (even if the truth is that Redknapp wasn't sounded out properly prior, which is apparently illegal anyway). The fact is that this hasn't happened and so they've left themselves with a bigger hole to dig themselves out of.

I'm disappointed in things so far, it must be said. Even if the next manager proves to be a success, they'll always have the "but Redknapp was our first choice anyway, so they got lucky" stick to beat them with. The real work starts now for them, as Parky has intimated already.

If the next manager is a success I'll not give Redknapp a second thought.

I think they sacked Allardyce because they supported a manager that they hadn't chosen themselves but wanted to give him the opportunity to show what he could do.  The football was shite and the results were just as bad so they made a decision to get rid of him, a decision which has probably been made at the wrong time due to the transfer window firstly and managers being mid-season secondly.

Did you expect a lawyer chairman to tap somebody up?  I didn't.

Probably not Mort himself, but with Ashley's reputation in the business world I thought we'd be a fair bit more ruthless than we apparently have been. I would personally support some cut-throat activity if it got them their apparent first choice, business is business after all.

And you might got give Redknapp a second thought if we're successful, but unfortunately not everyone shares your viewpoint - plenty others will.

was redkanpp offered the job or did he pull out at the "talks" stage..the statement mentione that they have "spoken to a number of potential candidates"

could it be he wasn't actually offered the job but we wanted to talk to him,aswell as others with a view to deciding he would be best for us

Maybe you're right, and maybe my expectations are too high; but I'd still be disappointed that they'd considered him as a possibility. He might not be first choice, he might have been their 10th; but the fact is, he was on their list. That alone is galling.

But of course if this is clearly the wrong time it makes one wonder how much of it was a sacking or a disagreement. Perhaps big Sam and Mort had a 'back or sack' moment? There is no way this could have been their real strategy ie sack SA mid window and then make 11th hr phone calls to Nappy with (in their minds) an offer he couldn't refuse. Which he has. Which means he wasn't sounded out even at the g g's. lol.

I think I've already said this is the wrong time, too soon or too late.  Like you I have no idea what was behind the sacking, your guess above could be right, it could also be wrong.  In reality, I do think something has triggered the sacking and it may be for the reason you've mentioned, we'll have to wait and see.  If that was the case then they haven't had a lot of time to sound possible candidates out.

The timing is wrong, they should have made a decision earlier if his future was in doubt or left it until the end of the season.  Half of the transfer window has almost gone and we have problems which need sorting with the team.

if they make a better appointment, the "timing" is right. If they don't, then its wrong.

The only thing that matters, is who it is.

I would say that it was either a "back me or sack me" as parky says, or they have sounded people out and gone for the change [possibly Redknapp indicated he was interested then let them down when they started serious talks]. It may be possible that his wife has blocked it. These things happen all the time, and people quite correctly would not divulge this sort of information, at this stage anyway.

They haven't got a fucking clue like.

Can't put into words how annoying these sort of statements are. Exactly what do you know about whats actually going and not what you've read on here, in the papers and from 'ITKs'?

They sacked Allardyce for one thing, and they had no one lined up at this crucial stage of the season. I couldn't give a shit what the ITKs and SSN has said, i've slagged SSN off aplenty since Wednesday. But the above reasons qualify my statement imo. Apologies for annoying you so.

EDIT: And my gut reaction/opinion is that they did desperately want Redknapp, i think he was their first choice. Aye, the papers helped me come to this conclusion, but they're well respected papers - the Guardian, Independent, Telegraph, as well as the Sun and such-like. And the fact that they're all best mates and they're big money-spnning businessmen, wanting their best (Southern) mate in charge - i think it was a realistic scenario.

My opinion and i've backed it up. :razz: 

I think I've already said this is the wrong time, too soon or too late.  Like you I have no idea what was behind the sacking, your guess above could be right, it could also be wrong.  In reality, I do think something has triggered the sacking and it may be for the reason you've mentioned, we'll have to wait and see.  If that was the case then they haven't had a lot of time to sound possible candidates out.

God I'm so kind even giving Mort the perfect get out clause.  :razz:

Got to say, however annoyed I am with this, madras has a point. Has it been confirmed Redknapp was OFFERED the job? Or is he the only one we've spoken to who has told the press he doesn't want it? Not necessarily 'first choice'.

could it be he wasn't actually offered the job but we wanted to talk to him,aswell as others with a view to deciding who would be best for us

If he wasn't offered the job then it makes all this look a bit off:

Pompey chief executive Peter Storrie admitted he was "very worried" Redknapp would leave.

"It has been 50/50 for a few days," Storrie told BBC 5 Live.

"Last night I thought it might be going slightly the other way, but we met up this morning and with a bit of verbal persuasion he has decided to stay."

Storrie indicated Redknapp felt he still had unfinished business at Fratton Park.

"This wasn't about finance, this was about ambition," he said.

Got to say, however annoyed I am with this, madras has a point. Has it been confirmed Redknapp was OFFERED the job? Or is he the only one we've spoken to who has told the press he doesn't want it? Not necessarily 'first choice'.

Redknapp said on SSN that he had been extremely flattered [word to that effect] to have been given the opportunity and made such a fantastic offer to manage such a huge club

Probably not Mort himself, but with Ashley's reputation in the business world I thought we'd be a fair bit more ruthless than we apparently have been. I would personally support some cut-throat activity if it got them their apparent first choice, business is business after all.

And you might got give Redknapp a second thought if we're successful, but unfortunately not everyone shares your viewpoint - plenty others will.

I think I know who will win if we are successful and somebody brings Redknapp up.   :lol:

I'm expecting that over time it will come out that Mort made the decision to sack and will do the appointing, or at least fully agreed, if that's not the case then he shouldn't be doing the job.

Under the circumstances what other options did they have?

Surely they cant of backed a dead man walking.

Surely they couldnt let the oppurtunity for a new guy o have his window come, it seems plainly obvious to me that Ashley wants to pour the money on us but not under Allardyce's guidance.

EDIT: Also if Dirty 'Arry accepting this fat wedge wasnt a cert then i dont know what is,  what more could Ashley do? Maybe Mort didnt put it in a brown papaer bag?

They should have either sacked Allardyce earlier or waited until the summer.

Realisitcally, we'd of needed to sack him mid December so that  there was enough time to appoint a suitable manager? That would of been much worse timing in my opinion.

As for waiting till the summer, well that would of meant Ashley would of needed to sign players for Allardyce this Jan knowing he was gonna be sacked come the summer, which is basically throwing money away.

Maybe a week earlier would of been the best time to sak Allardyce, but that time is pretty insignificant.

They sacked Allardyce for one thing, and they had no one lined up at this crucial stage of the season. I couldn't give a s*** what the ITKs and SSN has said, i've slagged SSN off aplenty since Wednesday. But the above reasons qualify my statement imo. Apologies for annoying you so.

Crucial stage of the season?

How do you figure?

Does 'given the opportunity' = formally offered? Grasping at straws here I know.

aye. It seems like it, thats more or less what he said Dave, alongside Peter [storrie?]

if they make a better appointment, the "timing" is right. If they don't, then its wrong.

The only thing that matters, is who it is.

I would say that it was either a "back me or sack me" as parky says, or they have sounded people out and gone for the change [possibly Redknapp indicated he was interested then let them down when they started serious talks]. It may be possible that his wife has blocked it. These things happen all the time, and people quite correctly would not divulge this sort of information, at this stage anyway.

Long term the timing shouldn't matter but it will for this season as whoever comes in will have the handicap of working with what he's got, assuming something doesn't happen in the next day or two.

Getting the right man is more important than giving him the window, I agree, long term.