Shearer Wants Manager's Job

Guest Eires No. 1

Shearer seems like a foregone conclusion now.

This will end badly.

Is it?

I don't know why Shearer is being painted as he is. He lacks managerial experience but then so did a number of managers in the game who started at big jobs and did well (Klinsmann, Hughes, Bilic). Appointing him would be a huge, huge risk but it's not a foregone conclusion that he'd do badly, far from it.

Guest sicko2ndbest

I understand that there are many different views on this. It is both the strength (and weakness) of all these internet forums and 24/7 Sky-Sports-News coverage, that so many different views (with their opportunity to influence your thinking) are imposed on us, causing confusion among what is probably an amazingly simple situation.

ALAN SHEARER IS THE MAN TO LEAD NEWCASTLE UNITED FC FOR THE NEXT 20 YEARS.

Top post

Who else could you EVER say that about?

Seriously?

Any other choice from amongst the available managers would not ever do that  -  would they?

Whether they were "European Cup winning" top foreign managers, or the (so-called) "cream of English managers" they would only be here short term, would be mercenaries (obviously, that's the way it is) and (in all probability, despite their pedigree and great CV) they would probably FAIL.

Alan Shearer is not just a "former great player" . .  that is the reason so many people give when arguing against him. They say - "a great player does not necessarily make a great manager".  VERY VERY TRUE!!  A good painter and decorator does not necessarily make a good accountant.  Yes, we all know that. That is obvious.

However, with Shearer, that ignores the many things that make up Alan Shearer that do not fit with that (very) simple statement (no matter how many times it is repeated) that DO uniquely apply to the (VERY unique) combination of - "Alan Shearer and Newcastle United" . . .

FIVE REASONS:

(1) Alan Shearers Character. He is a strong character, just look at his on-pitch behaviours, attitude, leadership, during his time with us and England. Just remember (as one simple example) how he faced down the tough-nut Keane and made him look and behave like a weak-minded idiot.

(2) Alan Shearers respect around the world, as a 'recent' top world player. How good that would be in attracting players of the TOP quality. (players that the likes of Allardyce and Redknapp and so many others, would never even get to speak to).

(3) Alan Shearers love of Newcastle United FC. It seems to me, when listening to him, that his feelings for the club are just like mine. They are just like yours too!!  He cares, just like we do - unconditionally and forever. Unlike you and me though  -  he is in a position to do something about it!

(4) Alan Shearer lives here because he wants to. Even the parochial, automatically biased Southern English press (aided by the riduculous Oliver guy) would not even be tempted to say  -  "Alan, what about the weather and the shops, would your wife not prefer to live in Basingtoke or Bogner???"

(5) Alan Shearer seems to have all the abilities needed to be very good at what the job requires (particulary, at THIS club) uniquely perhaps, amongst the many football players that have retired in recent times. Those are rare qualities in any walk of life, that make him different. 

FINALLY:

It is so true that "a great player does not necessarily make a great manager".  BUT, when it appears that there is one who would  -  and it is almost specifically ONLY at OUR club  -  then we should . . . .  GO FOR IT !!!!!!!!!!

In my opinion . . .

Top post  :thup:

Seconded

A lot of people on here are saying no to Shearer because of his inexperience. I personally think this could be his advantage. He will be far more open to changing his ideas if he has to as he will not have a tried and tested formula.

People forget that he got us into europe a couple of seasons ago. I know, that was Roeder, but if you are honestly telling me that it wasn't Shearers influence as no.2 and it was Roeders leadership skills i think i might find you funnier than Joey Bartons headdoctors namesake.

The money and prestige that Shearer will bring in will make Ashley far more likely to open his wallet, and i honestly think Big Al will have a good eye for talent.

Remember Keegan came with no experience, he lifted the place with his aura which the players fed off, and it will be the same for Shearer. Every player will be that 20% better than they have ever been.

I am a realist and believe we have no chance of appointing Mourinho, so give Shearer the chance

I understand that there are many different views on this. It is both the strength (and weakness) of all these internet forums and 24/7 Sky-Sports-News coverage, that so many different views (with their opportunity to influence your thinking) are imposed on us, causing confusion among what is probably an amazingly simple situation.

Top post

Seriously?

Any other choice from amongst the available managers would not ever do that  -  would they?

Whether they were "European Cup winning" top foreign managers, or the (so-called) "cream of English managers" they would only be here short term, would be mercenaries (obviously, that's the way it is) and (in all probability, despite their pedigree and great CV) they would probably FAIL.

Alan Shearer is not just a "former great player" . .  that is the reason so many people give when arguing against him. They say - "a great player does not necessarily make a great manager".  VERY VERY TRUE!!  A good painter and decorator does not necessarily make a good accountant.  Yes, we all know that. That is obvious.

However, with Shearer, that ignores the many things that make up Alan Shearer that do not fit with that (very) simple statement (no matter how many times it is repeated) that DO uniquely apply to the (VERY unique) combination of - "Alan Shearer and Newcastle United" . . .

FIVE REASONS:

(1) Alan Shearers Character. He is a strong character, just look at his on-pitch behaviours, attitude, leadership, during his time with us and England. Just remember (as one simple example) how he faced down the tough-nut Keane and made him look and behave like a weak-minded idiot.

(2) Alan Shearers respect around the world, as a 'recent' top world player. How good that would be in attracting players of the TOP quality. (players that the likes of Allardyce and Redknapp and so many others, would never even get to speak to).

(3) Alan Shearers love of Newcastle United FC. It seems to me, when listening to him, that his feelings for the club are just like mine. They are just like yours too!!  He cares, just like we do - unconditionally and forever. Unlike you and me though  -  he is in a position to do something about it!

(4) Alan Shearer lives here because he wants to. Even the parochial, automatically biased Southern English press (aided by the riduculous Oliver guy) would not even be tempted to say  -  "Alan, what about the weather and the shops, would your wife not prefer to live in Basingtoke or Bogner???"

(5) Alan Shearer seems to have all the abilities needed to be very good at what the job requires (particulary, at THIS club) uniquely perhaps, amongst the many football players that have retired in recent times. Those are rare qualities in any walk of life, that make him different. 

FINALLY:

It is so true that "a great player does not necessarily make a great manager".  BUT, when it appears that there is one who would  -  and it is almost specifically ONLY at OUR club  -  then we should . . . .  GO FOR IT !!!!!!!!!!

In my opinion . . .

Top post  :thup:

Seconded

A lot of people on here are saying no to Shearer because of his inexperience. I personally think this could be his advantage. He will be far more open to changing his ideas if he has to as he will not have a tried and tested formula.

People forget that he got us into europe a couple of seasons ago. I know, that was Roeder, but if you are honestly telling me that it wasn't Shearers influence as no.2 and it was Roeders leadership skills i think i might find you funnier than Joey Bartons headdoctors namesake.

The money and prestige that Shearer will bring in will make Ashley far more likely to open his wallet, and i honestly think Big Al will have a good eye for talent.

Remember Keegan came with no experience, he lifted the place with his aura which the players fed off, and it will be the same for Shearer. Every player will be that 20% better than they have ever been.

I am a realist and believe we have no chance of appointing Mourinho, so give Shearer the chance

People want to believe that it was Shearer but its much more likely that Tommy Craig was the key man in the set up.  Was that not the reason he was pissed off and left when they tried to demote him back to the reserves...

Whilst no one can question Shearers on passion and commitment on the park I do not think he was a great leader in the slightest.  IMO he wasnt a great captain or communicator, with Speed often taking on the role of unofficial captain.

If its Shearer or Harry id have Shearer

How about Harry Shearer?  He played Derek Smalls in Spinal Tap.

This team goes up to 11.

If he's willing to do all his interviews in the voice of Mr. Burns, get him in.

:celb:  i thought this too!  he does several voices on simpsons, i think.

If its Shearer or Harry id have Shearer

How about Harry Shearer?  He played Derek Smalls in Spinal Tap.

This team goes up to 11.

If he's willing to do all his interviews in the voice of Mr. Burns, get him in.

:celb:  i thought this too!  he does several voices on simpsons, i think.

He does shit loads.

BIG BOTTOM, TALK ABOUT MUD FLAPS MY GIRLS GOT EM!

Seriously?

FIVE REASONS:

FINALLY:

In my opinion . . .

perhaps he'll be brought in to do it again--a brilliant counter-move to sunderland's appointment! keane-> :bang: <-shearer

Guest LucaAltieri

get him in sonner rather than later.  i think he is the only one that's will touch us now....

I dont think so. The timing couldnt be worse for him..

It would be a terrible time for anyone... I think the only thing that makes Shearer a suitable candidate right now is the fact he's the only person the fans won't turn on from day 1.... he'll get at least a week.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Newcastle turn to Keegan and Shearer: Toon line up dream team as Redknapp rejects move north

EXCLUSIVE by BOB CASS and JOE BERNSTEIN - More by this author »

Last updated at 22:14pm on 12th January 2008

Newcastle United will make a sensational offer to Kevin Keegan to return as manager after Harry Redknapp turned the job down yesterday.

The club plan to link the former England and Newcastle boss in a dream partnership with Tyneside hero Alan Shearer in a bid to erase the damage done to Mike Ashley's reputation by Redknapp's shock about-turn.

Redknapp decided to stay at Portsmouth rather than switch his allegiance to the club which sacked Sam Allardyce last Wednesday after barely eight months in charge.

Now Ashley, Newcastle's billionaire owner, will attempt to appease supporters by turning to Keegan, who became a legend on Tyneside following his time as a player there in the Eighties and as United's most successful post-War manager in a five-year period in the Nineties.

Keegan, 57 next month, has been out of football since quitting as Manchester City manager in March 2005 but, in a recent interview, he refused to rule out a return to management.

Keegan said: "I am 56 but you never say never in anything. If it doesn't happen in the next two or three years I'll be 60 and then it might be too late to return."

Shearer, whose name was chanted by Newcastle fans during last night's crushing 6-0 defeat at Manchester United, has intimated that he would be interested in taking a managerial role at his hometown club if approached, and he would relish the opportunity opportunity of working alongside the manager who paid a club record £16million for him when he moved from Blackburn to Tyneside in 1996.

Yesterday a Newcastle source confirmed that the club would prefer to appoint an experienced manager, adding weight to demands for a Keegan-Shearer package.

"Chris Mort [the club's chairman] and Mike Ashley have a good relationship with Alan Shearer," said the source.

"They are well aware of the many qualities he could bring to the club but in the present situation we feel that an experienced manager with a proven track record is required.

"The most important thing is getting the right man. There is no time frame on the appointment. It is vital that Newcastle get it right this time and it will take as long as is necessary to do that."

The source also suggested that Redknapp's reluctance to move to the North-East from his £8million home on the Dorset coast at exclusive Sandbanks was behind the Portsmouth manager's change of heart.

"Harry raised the subject of being able to fly to the North-East," said the source. "We have always believed that the manager would be somebody based full-time in Newcastle.

"That was a major stumbling block and it was clear if we talked about the issue there was no point in going any further.

"Managing Newcastle is a massive job and a huge responsibility. It requires total commitment."

Keegan, who is currently running his Soccer Circus coaching school in Glasgow, was instrumental in establishing Newcastle as a Premier League force.

He took them to within four points of the title in 1996 when they finished runners-up to United, having looked almost certain to win their first championship for nearly 70 years when they held an 11-point lead over their nearest rivals at the end of February.

It was a disappointment that, coupled with behind-the- scenes disagreements with the then club chairman Sir John Hall and his executives, led to Keegan's shock resignation the following season.

Doubts over Shearer's willingness to work as a No 2 have been expressed by former Newcastle manager Sir Bobby Robson.

Writing in The Mail on Sunday, Sir Bobby, who managed the club for five years until he was axed in August 2004, said: "I know most Geordie fans would like Kevin Keegan to come back so Alan could learn from him. But I don't see Shearer as anyone's No2. If anybody came in, they would have to help Shearer rather than the other way round.

"Make Shearer the boss or there is no point in having him."

Other names in the frame are current bookmakers' favourite Mark Hughes, but sources close to the Blackburn manager suggest he would rather bide his time before making his next move, which could be to succeed Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United.

There is also support for Gerard Houllier, who has been working for the French FA after a successful stint as coach at Lyon. The former Liverpool manager, who knows the English game well after his stint at Anfield from 1998-2004, is close to Ashley's friend, property developer and former Tottenham vicechairman Paul Kemsley.

For some reason I picture the start of "Rambo - First Blood Part 2".

Rambo/Keegan - Do we get to win this time?

Col.Trautman/Mort/Ashley - This time it's up to you!

Seriously though, if we aren't going to offer it to a top class manager (or they all don't want it) I'd rather we gave the job to Shearer (with help from Keegan/Bobby Robson) than give it to someone like Mark Hughes. All those games Roeder won as caretaker were with Shearer as his assistant. Maybe it was Alan who made the real difference.

i guess i'm just missing what keegan would bring to this equation - if you're bringing in experience for shearer then why not bring some experience of being a winning manager, for instance?

keegan has all but said he's out of love with the game and that is not someone we need in 'charge', it really isn't

now shearer plus a continental assistant and i could see it working - martin jol?