Bobby Robson - "Geremi old", Shearer for job

nufc4eva

Lets not over sentamentalise things too much folks. SBR gave us 2 very good seasons and one decent one, but he was far from flawless and also made a lot of mistakes.

Only two? do you have alzhimer or .. he have three solid seasons on top of that on his first season we went all the way to FA cup Semi Final and played the best of games at Wembly against Chelsea. Bobby is a legend and we should respect that.

What? Bobbys first Nearly full seaon was okay and then his first full season was incredibly average- Carl Cort, Bassedas, defeat off the mackems etc. He then signed Robert and Bellamy and gave us two very good seaons. He then under influence from FFS refused to significantly strengthen the side and we scraped home in 5th (which in retrospect was a good finish but the side had clearly peaked and stagnated).

Dont be suckered in by the whole "Bobby is the saint of English football blah blah blah". Overall he did a good job, nothing more, nothing less.

PWNED!!!

Allardyce just got schooled there. He certainly has a lot to answer for. All the scientific stuff is great if it enhances the football side of things, however it seems as though Sam becam obsessed with it all. It seems thats all they focused on, and so its no wonder they cannot pass the ball to each other.

Not to mention the fact that the club was given information about Geremi but Allardyces arrogance still prevented him from listening.

Allardyce was a freakin' bust. Happy he got canned even if we are struglling to get someone in at the moment, we'll still get someone eventually.

Me dad got a phone call about hour ago from people ITK (x-Newcastle Acadmeny staff/Wallsend Boys club folk) apparently there is a load of revelations about Sam's time at Newcastle in the NOTW tomorrow.

He was also told in same phone call that Michael Owen told Sam: That he is not a good coach & that he is a bully.

Maybe the dressing room was lost after all.

"And after the turmoil of recent seasons, Shearer will go back to basics. He believes football is essentially a simple game. I expect he'd consider a lot of Sam's backroom staff as over-complicating things and, having spoken to Damien Duff last week, a few of the players would welcome getting back to the football."

Not to mention the fact that the club was given information about Geremi but Allardyces arrogance still prevented him from listening.

This is very unfair to Big Sam though. Everyone has an opinion. SBR knowing that Geremi's legs are gone is just like SAF knowing Mclaren will make a very good manager.

If Big Sam signs a player, I trust that he has all the information he needs. He may have made the wrong judgement, but I don't think one could fault him for lack of homework.

"And after the turmoil of recent seasons, Shearer will go back to basics. He believes football is essentially a simple game. I expect he'd consider a lot of Sam's backroom staff as over-complicating things and, having spoken to Damien Duff last week, a few of the players would welcome getting back to the football."

I found that a most interesting comment too. Looks very much like a case of the players werent behnd him.

Is that Sams or the players fault though ?

I found that a most interesting comment too. Looks very much like a case of the players werent behnd him.

down to sam and the coaching staff.  The players respond to coaching

It's down to both but the manager usually goes when it happens as it's earier than replacing the players, it's also up to the manager to make sure it doesn't happen.

What? Bobbys first Nearly full seaon was okay and then his first full season was incredibly average- Carl Cort, Bassedas, defeat off the mackems etc. He then signed Robert and Bellamy and gave us two very good seaons. He then under influence from FFS refused to significantly strengthen the side and we scraped home in 5th (which in retrospect was a good finish but the side had clearly peaked and stagnated).

Dont be suckered in by the whole "Bobby is the saint of English football blah blah blah". Overall he did a good job, nothing more, nothing less.

His first season was ok? :lol:  Before he took over we'd played 7 games and we were rooted to the foot of the table with 1 point and no hope.  He got us 51 points from the remaining 31 games and took us to 11th, which was an amazing achievement (the same points tally per game for all 38 games would have gotten us to 6th).  Yes the second season was average, but the important thing was he consolidated us and moved on quickly in the following season.  Also how on earth can you say only two very good seasons.  If you think a 5th place finish wasn't very good then I don't know what you must be saying with our recent Premiership finishes...  Robson did the second best job in our recent history (last 11-12 years), he saved us in his first season, stabalised us and then took us to 4th, 3rd and 5th, to say he did a good job and nothing more is just pathetic really.

Guest northwestmag1892

Scraped home in 5th... you disrespectful cnut. What we would all give to be in the top 6 these days...

Lets not over sentamentalise things too much folks. SBR gave us 2 very good seasons and one decent one, but he was far from flawless and also made a lot of mistakes.

Only two? do you have alzhimer or .. he have three solid seasons on top of that on his first season we went all the way to FA cup Semi Final and played the best of games at Wembly against Chelsea. Bobby is a legend and we should respect that.

Guest The Corner

What about Sir Bobby as care taker until the end of the season?

Howay man. He still talks sense but Bobby is a very old and ill man.

Then reality kicks in

Guest Eires No. 1

Good read this.

Shearer factor wont go away, so why not offer him the job?

Sir Bobby Robson

Life is never dull at Newcastle. If I was shocked at the departure of Sam Allardyce, it was nothing compared to yesterday's startling news that Harry Redknapp had decided to stay at Portsmouth.

I had assumed he was on his way. Owner Mike Ashley now has a simple but important decision to make. Does he turn to local legend Alan Shearer, even though he is untested, or choose a man with experience, a safer option, such as Mark Hughes,Gerard Houllier or Martin Jol?

Ninety-nine times out of 100, I would call for experience.Newcastle would normally be too big for a first-timer. But Shearer is different. He has the status and charisma of few other personalities in this country.

In the last few days Bayern Munich have chosen Jurgen Klinsmann, who has never been in charge of a club, to be their next manager simply because of his aura in the game. And if I was the Newcastle board this week, I would hand the keys to the manager's office to Alan Shearer and tell him: "Get us back in the Champions League where we belong."

I know Shearer hasn't been a manager before. But he is a unique case because of his standing in the city and the force of his personality. It's not his fault but whoever takes the job will have his ghost on their shoulder because of the strength of feeling towards him in the North-East.

Until he becomes manager, the Shearer factor won't go away. So why not silence everybody now? He is available, lives in the town and is an iconic figure. He doesn't have managerial experience but he does have plenty of big-match experience.

If he comes out and says he wants the job, Newcastle should give him a chance. They cannot afford to be turned down again by someone like Hughes.

Shearer is also what Newcastle need right now. I've seen the team play many times this season and they are lacking confidence and courage on the ball.

Shearer will provide that with his presence in the dressing room. The players will respond to him because of who he is and what he has done for the club.

And after the turmoil of recent seasons, Shearer will go back to basics. He believes football is essentially a simple game. I expect he'd consider a lot of Sam's backroom staff as over-complicating things and, having spoken to Damien Duff last week, a few of the players would welcome getting back to the football.

I know most Geordie fans would like Kevin Keegan to come back so Alan could learn from him. But I don't see Shearer as anyone's No 2. If anybody came in, he would have to help Shearer rather than the other way round. Make Shearer boss or there is no point in having him.

As I said, I was stunned by Harry's decision to stay put. I know contentment is important and Harry is happy walking his dogs on the south coast whenever he wants, but if there is a job worth disrupting your life for, it's at Newcastle.

I hope he doesn't regret his decision because the power of 52,000 Geordies roaring you on is immense. He has done a splendid job at Portsmouth but you can't really compare it to being at Newcastle and I wonder if he'll get another chance at a big club. I believe Sam Allardyce's track record at Bolton was good enough to warrant giving him more time. But you can't blame Mr Ashley for making his decision. He inherited Sam, and when you invest £250 million in a club, you deserve a manager of your choosing.

Besides the style of football which was alien to a lot of Newcastle fans, Sam's big downfall was his buying record. No manager gets it right all the time but Sam signed nine players and only two Abdoulaye Faye and Habib Beye could be considered successes. That's not a great percentage. Jose Mourinho told me last season that Geremi's legs had effectively gone. "Mister, he plays like a 40-year-old. He can not run any more. He will not play for me in important matches again," was Jose's typically forthright response.

Naturally, I was alarmed to read that Newcastle wanted to sign Geremi. I passed on my information to someone at the club (this was before Mike Ashley took over) but Geremi still ended up signing. In fact, Sam made him captain.

Whoever comes in now must wheel and deal in this transfer window. You need 18-20 top players in your squad these days. Duff, Steven Taylor, James Milner, Charles N'Zogbia and two class goalkeepers Shay Given and Steve Harper are certainly good enough.

Michael Owen would join that group if he could get back to what he was. Beye, Emre and Nicky Butt are also adequate but they are not enough.

David Rozenhal and Jose Enrique cost £10m between them and there is also Claudio Cacapa but the best defender is still a home-grown boy Taylor. Alan Smith and Joey Barton don't have the guile of Emre or steadiness of Butt. Up front,Oba Martins has good pace but not much footballing nous. Mark Viduka will look a maestro one day and make you want to tear your hair out the next.

Newcastle need new recruits. But, please, no more players Jose considers to have the legs of a 40-year-old.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/columnists/columnists.html?in_article_id=507925&in_page_id=1951&ito=newsnow

Common sense in a mad world.....

Great Man!!

Scraped home in 5th... you disrespectful cnut. What we would all give to be in the top 6 these days...

Here pal, its just a bit of discussion here. Dont go labelling me a cnut or whatever silly name you want to call me for expressing my opinion. You should be hoyed out for posting shite abuse like that.

down to sam and the coaching staff.  The players respond to coaching

It might well be true but it's also an easy get out for the players now Sam has gone.  "Don't blame us for being shit, it was all his fault".