Are We Desperate for a Trophy?

gray
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Not a minute goes past without the press mentioning how desperate we are for a trophy.

Personally, I couldnt give a toss whether we won a trophy, I just want decent, attacking football, a few flair players and to be "up there" amongst the top 6. This is the reason I was never happy with Allardyce.

Just wondered how many people were actually "desperate for a trophy" - I think its something the press have created, adding to the "poisoned chalice" vacancy they are building up too.

Guest Ridzuan

Im not that desperate for a trophy,as long as I am still alive to see that day,I would be happy and I am still young,so there is a good chance of seeing that happen.But the trophy can wait,as long as we are playing good football.If you are playing good football constantly,then Im sure the trophy will come.

Unless you witnessed the Fairs Cup win then I don't see how any of us can answer this question as none of us knows what it is like to win anything! To answer this question all we can do is imagine what it is like to win a trophy! For this reason alone I'm desperate to win a trophy and see what it feels like! Then I’d get back to you about whether I’d want entertaining football or win a trophy the George Graham way!

It just goes to show how far off the mark these national press blokes are.  Money for old rope. We are a million miles from any trophies and I expect it to be a long time before we get close.  What is important is turning round all this bs about us being a laughing stock and be able to restore some pride in NUFC.

Good football first and foremost. If you can manage that, then opportunities for winning a trophy or two will present themselves.

The media are extremely wide of the mark with this expectation mullarky. It's bullshit which whips up the frenzy and creates the myth. Hence you now get people (media and fans alike) passing comment on the situation when they've got no idea. It's easy to look from the outside in.

It is funny that any coverage of Newcastle goes on about our desparation for trophies, as if all the other clubs just take part out of sportsmanship and their fans don't mind winning fuck all.

Tbh, they only draw special attention to us because they have the idea that we think we're a big club. Some of us do, some of us don't. Anyway, even if we do win a trophy, so long as they continue thinking we think we're a big club, their party line will just change to 'Only one trophy in 53 years. Pfft. Some big club. *chortlechortle*"

Guest sittingontheball

Greece won Euro 2004 with a w - d - l - w - w(aet) - w record.  We don't play in a competition where that would get us a trophy. In the cups, one defeat and we're out.

Of the tournaments we're in, the League Cup is the only one "ugly" teams can win any more.  The top teams that can play good stuff (even with their reserves) dominate the FA Cup now.

I suppose this means that to get anywhere, you have to play good stuff.

I'd love to be in a position where we might have a chance of challenging for trophies year in year out. I'd be happy to be 40-1 to win the premier league, like Liverpool are at the moment.

I want us to consolidate a postition in the top 4, qualify for the CL every year, and then look at trophies. Someone said on here (or maybe toontastic) that as long as they're promised to see Newcastle win a trophy, then they don't mind the timeframe. That's kinda how I feel about it.

If football is like sex, a blow job is a trophy, nice, but not the be all and end all.

We're celibate at the moment though and just a dry hump would be nice.

We're not even getting one off the wrist man.....

Guest assyriantoon

I think Newcastle fans do want trophies but are only prepared to give time to a manager who is playing good football. Bobby Robson came 11th in his first two seasons (the same position we are in now) but because he played good football we gave him extra time to succeed. I think Newcastle would accept winning trophies with boring football but would have to endure a couple of bad seasons in order to get in that position. Basicallly, we need attacking football because we aren't patient enough to accept a boring transitional period.

Progessive improvement heading up the league playing canny football with an aim of ganing champions league football.

A squad big enough, so the manager can put a team out that will compete in every competition we play in.

Of course I'm desperate for a trophy, I'm shocked at most of the responses here to be honest.  How many times have any of you had a argument with another Football fan and had nothing to say when they say "yeah but you lot still haven't won nowt since the 60's and you never will again".  We need a f****** trophy, after that I don't care, great exciting Football, high finishes and Champions League will take priority AFTER we win something for once!  So never again can any idiot use that argument.

If the question is do I realistically think it will happen in the next season or so.  No of course not, we'll need to improve first and start finishing higher up the league and playing much better first.  But winning a trophy is definitely my priority, just one, then I can relax :)