Chris Mort: Criteria for the new man in charge

WhatTheFunk

Guest Geordie Gaz

Nobody else worried that Steve Mclown could meet the criteria? Not sure how boro played, but he'd want to prove something to every England fan (fourth on the list), Speaks English and likes his players young?

Nobody else worried that Steve Mclown could meet the criteria? Not sure how boro played, but he'd want to prove something to every England fan (fourth on the list), Speaks English and likes his players young?

falls down on the 'exciting' football criteria....thank fk

I'd have Fred signed up on a deal personally, crakcer player and the ideal foil for Owe/martins, plus his arrival may well give Vids a kick up the arse!

Tiago would be an ideal oan signing but seems he is really unhappy at Juve and needs a quick fix to get outta there!

For the right money again I feel would be a good signing, especially given our current centre mid status! give them 4mil for Tiago and 8 for Fred and let the revolution roll!

Might be a bit risky to give them permanent deals right away, but a decent loan fee as well as looking at a view to a permanent deal should work.

Houllier might be able to pull it off as he is a big name and is actually respected in the game. I imagine both players would want to come too, as they both did well for him at Lyon.

Not sure if this is in here or elsewhere, but sums up just about everything i think about Houllier, style of play should stick out especially if Mort really wants someone to play 'carpet football', that someone is most definitely not Houllier ... Stolen from f365 as always...

The Best...

Winning The Treble

Houllier's main achievement with Liverpool was winning the so-called 'Mickey Mouse' treble. After a disappointing start to his managerial career at Anfield, the Frenchman finally found success in the 2000-01 season winning the Worthington Cup, FA Cup and UEFA Cup, albeit with a hint of luck about each of them.

After successfully ousting then-lower-league Birmingham on penalties to secure the League Cup, they rode their luck to win the FA Cup against Arsenal, Stephane Henchoz's goal-line clearance with his hand going unnoticed before Michael Owen popped up to score twice in the last ten minutes. The final and most dramatic success came in the UEFA Cup final at Westfalenstadion with a 5-4 victory over Alaves. Despite throwing a two-goal lead away to the Spaniards, who ended the game with nine men, Liverpool still managed to complete the treble thanks to Alaves defender Delfi Geli's own goal - not just any own goal but a golden own goal - giving the Reds their first European success since 1984. Houllier went on to win three more trophies at Anfield, capturing the European Super Cup, the League Cup and Community Shield.

Famous Victories

As any Liverpool fan will tell you, the biggest games of the season are against Manchester United and Everton. In his time at the club Houllier managed to put together a streak of five consecutive wins over United, including a 2-1 victory in the 2001 Community Shield, and a famous 2-0 victory over the Red Devils in the 2003 League Cup final. Against the blue side of the Merseyside Houllier managed to lose just once to Everton in 12 games, including six victories over the Toffees.

Runners-up In The League

Despite failing where every other Liverpool manager has in the last 18 years in the title race, Houllier did help Liverpool to their best league finish in 11 years. In 2001-02 the Reds finished just seven points behind champions Arsenal. The main consolation Houllier could take will have been finishing above Manchester United and breaking their cycle of finishing in the top two for the previous ten seasons.

A Few Good Buys

Whilst you can't call Houllier a master when it comes to the transfer market the French gaffer did make a few decent buys in his time at Anfield. The first one that springs to mind would be Sami Hyypia, who he bought for the bargain price of £3million from Willem II nine years ago. He also brought the influential midfielder Dietmar Hamann in 1999 for the substantial, but eventually worth it, sum of £8million from Newcastle. The German midfielder, nicknamed 'The Kaiser' by the Liverpool faithful, spent five years under Houllier at Anfield, in which time he won six medals. Finally, Houllier brought in Steve Finnan the year before he left the club for £3.5million from Fulham. Despite spending little time under the Frenchman's wing, Finnan has gone on to become a consistent figure at Anfield, making over 200 apperances for the club.

Turning Down Bowyer

In 2002 rumours were rife of Lee Bowyer arriving at Liverpool for the princely sum of £9million with a proposed contract in the region of £35,000 a week. But in a remarkable turnaround, Houllier decided Bowyer wasn't right for the club after meeting him, sighting his lack of hunger and desire as the main reason for turning down the midfield snapper. The sudden change of heart proved to be a smart move by Houllier, as the baggage-laden lunatic went to West Ham for just £100,000 a year later.

And The Worst...

The Signings

Houllier spent a staggering amount of money on players that never even looked like cutting it at the top level. After Senegal forward El-Hadji Diouf had a bright World Cup campaign, Houllier astonishingly forked out £10million for the Lens man. He also brought in deadwood such as Salif Diao, Bruno Cheyrou (the 'next Zidane'), Titi Camara, Erik Meijer, Anthony Le Tallec, Florent Sinama-Pongolle, Frode Kippe and Djimi Traore. Overall he spent over £125million. Most notably it was he who signed Djibril Cisse, then promptly scarpered, leaving Rafa Benitez with a £14million striker he didn't want.

Boring Football

During his reign Houllier based his team upon a strong defence. The steel of Hamann in midfield and the strong defence including the likes of Carragher, Babbel, Hypiaa and Henchoz meant that Liverpool were hard to break down. The flip side of this though was the painfully boring football Liverpool were playing. Liverpool are a club steeped in tradition of playing attractive football, Houllier's play was anything but. Dull, one-dimensional, long-ball football up to the £11million man Emile Heskey was the way his side played, much to the dismay of the Koppites.

Not Signing Anelka Permanently

Hopes were high when Houllier brought the troubled yet exceptional talent of Nicolas Anelka to Anfield in December 2001. His loan spell from PSG was a good one and he was taking to the Liverpool faithful, who were sure that he would be snapped up on a permanent deal in the close season. However that wasn't the case, instead Houllier turned to the unproven talent of Senegalese flop Diouf. After paying £10million for him, his return was three goals at £3.33 million a goal. Probably not the best decision he's ever made.

Never Really Challenging For The League

Liverpool's failure to compete to the death for the Premiership title has been so often the case since the start of the Premiership. While every season was 'their year' at the start, Houllier's Reds never threatened to trouble the engraver. In the 2001/2002 season though they did manage to finish runners-up to Arsenal but they never really mounted a serious challenge.

2002-2003: A Season to Forget

After finishing runners-up the season before, Liverpool were expected to at least make a respectable title effort. Unfortunately that was a million miles away for the Reds. They had a torrid league campaign including defeats to Sunderland and Birmingham, culminating in a fifth-place finish. They twice failed to beat Basle in a disappointing European campaign in which they were knocked out early, then went out of the UEFA Cup to Celtic. The season was epitomised when Liverpool were dumped out of the FA Cup 2-0 at home by a a poor Crystal Palace side that finished mid-table in the Championship that year. Houllier was lucky to keep his job that season.

Do we want this :

"Boring Football

During his reign Houllier based his team upon a strong defence. The steel of Hamann in midfield and the strong defence including the likes of Carragher, Babbel, Hypiaa and Henchoz meant that Liverpool were hard to break down. The flip side of this though was the painfully boring football Liverpool were playing. Liverpool are a club steeped in tradition of playing attractive football, Houllier's play was anything but. Dull, one-dimensional, long-ball football up to the £11million man Emile Heskey was the way his side played, much to the dismay of the Koppites." ?

I think Houllier signed Fred as well didn't he?

Both Tiago and Fred are available at the moment ...

If we could get them both on loan, with Houllier and Alan coming in, that would be sweet.

f*** Fred, he's a joke and Tiago is simply a nomadic flop.

I'd want him to try and bring the likes of Benzema, Ben Arfa or Nasri to our club.

We need to move forward, not stay where we are.

I honestly don't think we're in the position to be turning managers like Houllier down. The media claim our fans are deluded thinking we're a big club, and I'm afraid some of you on in this thread are proving them right.

Of course we'd all like the top European manager, but you need to be realistic and understand that we're an average mid-table Premiership side at the moment.

Do we want this :

"Boring Football

During his reign Houllier based his team upon a strong defence. The steel of Hamann in midfield and the strong defence including the likes of Carragher, Babbel, Hypiaa and Henchoz meant that Liverpool were hard to break down. The flip side of this though was the painfully boring football Liverpool were playing. Liverpool are a club steeped in tradition of playing attractive football, Houllier's play was anything but. Dull, one-dimensional, long-ball football up to the £11million man Emile Heskey was the way his side played, much to the dismay of the Koppites." ?

Our defence has been our downfall for how many years?

I honestly don't think we're in the position to be turning managers like Houllier down. The media claim our fans are deluded thinking we're a big club, and I'm afraid some of you on in this thread are proving them right.

Of course we'd all like the top European manager, but you need to be realistic and understand that we're an average mid-table Premiership side at the moment.

Without a shadow of a doubt i'd take Hughes over Houllier. Rising Prem manager, almost 20yrs younger than Houllier, proved himself internationally and in the prem Vs France's Howard Wilkinson. No contest. It seems people have been blinded by the foreign effect.

Without a shadow of a doubt i'd take Hughes over Houllier. Rising Prem manager, almost 20yrs younger than Houllier, proved himself internationally and in the prem Vs France's Howard Wilkinson. No contest. It seems people have been blinded by the foreign effect.

I agree with you. The risk of Houllier dying on the bench is way too big. 

Who are we to demand this amazing football? Look at the state we are in and "Brazil of the 70's" type of football shouldnt be top of the list. Dont get me wrong i'd love to see us playing great football but we shouldnt be turning Houllier down because of his style of football, look at the trophies he won and where he finished in the league.

I find it funny how people are demanding this great football and then saying they want Mourinho, IMO Chelsea didnt play great football under JM, they probably won more 1-0's than anyone when they won the league.

He's proved more in the Premiership than Houllier? Interesting take on things.

Houllier will give us a massive advantage in terms of contacts abroad. It's harder and more expensive to buy British talent nowadays which is why you need contacts set up abroad. Wenger has his in France and Africa. Even Sam had quite a few contacts as well. If you look further, you'll see Fergie's starting to develop contacts in Portugal, Rafa has contacts in Spain etc. and so Houllier will provide us with quite a few in France since he is still the technical director for the FFF. If we get a British manager, odds are his 'contacts' will be in England and as I've already mentioned, British players, even the average ones, are very expensive nowadays.

Houllier will give us a massive advantage in terms of contacts abroad. It's harder and more expensive to buy British talent nowadays which is why you need contacts set up abroad. Wenger has his in France and Africa. Even Sam had quite a few contacts as well. If you look further, you'll see Fergie's starting to develop contacts in Portugal, Rafa has contacts in Spain etc. and so Houllier will provide us with quite a few in France since he is still the technical director for the FFF. If we get a British manager, odds are his 'contacts' will be in England and as I've already mentioned, British players, even the average ones, are very expensive nowadays.

Wenger wanted to take Houllier to Arsenal as DOF because of his contacts and knowledge of the young, French talents.

Guest sicko2ndbest

He's proved more in the Premiership than Houllier? Interesting take on things.

Houllier on his own don't inspire me. Hughes on his own i think is a far better bet. Houllier with Shearer is my favourite bet

One of Houlliers biggest pluses

Guest elbee909

Wenger wanted to take Houllier to Arsenal as DOF because of his contacts and knowledge of the young, French talents.

Perhaps Graham Rix would be worth getting for his knowledge of young English talent?

Seems that David Dein rates him highly.

Gerard Houllier must be a candidate to become England coach, says ex-Football Association vice-chairman David Dein.

Former Liverpool boss Houllier took over as France Football Federation technical director after leaving Lyon.

Dein said: "It would be folly to ignore Gerard Houllier, his ability and what he has achieved in the game."

Houllier has support within the FA, but BBC Sport understands there has been no contact as yet, or from the Republic of Ireland, who may also make a move.

Dein, the former Arsenal vice-chairman who brought Houllier's close friend Arsene Wenger to England, was behind the FA's ill-fated move to bring Portugal coach Luiz Felipe Scolari in as successor to Sven-Goran Eriksson.

He said: "Gerard Houllier is not the technical director of the French national team for nothing."

Dein is happy to push the claims of another foreign candidate as England coach, adding: "It was no secret I favoured Luiz Felipe Scolari last time, but everyone said that was heresy.

"A lot of people wanted an England manager when Sven left - now public opinion is saying just go for the best.

"Unfortunately Steve McClaren didn't work out. It would be heresy to say there is no English manager worthy of the job. I just believe you have to go for the best man whatever nationality."

Houllier is likely need some serious persuasion to take over a role with England - not because of the high-profile pressures of the job, but because he has only just taken on a role he has filled successfully in the past with the FFA.

He helped set up France's ground-breaking training centre at Clairefontaine, which was regarded as the catalyst for their World Cup success in 1998 and bringing through a succession of world-class players.

Houllier won the Uefa Cup, the FA Cup and had two League Cup triumphs in a six-year spell at Liverpool before losing his job in 2004, then went on to win back-to-back titles with Lyon in France.

But he remains an influential figure within Uefa's technical department and his success in building up France's coaching structure and system has impressed Dein and others within the FA hierarchy.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/7116252.stm

Perhaps Graham Rix would be worth getting for his knowledge of young English talent?

Wrong sort of young talent, elbee. :laugh:

Young English talent isn't that hard to find. I mean, not that I'm underestimating the time and effort that scouts put in to discover the next Wayne Rooney, but when a kid looks promising, you'll have many clubs start sniffing around when he's only 16/17. And we're not in a position to compete with those clubs. Walcott's a good example of a bright young English footballer who generated interest before he could even sign a professional contract!

But with talent abroad, if you have the right contacts and know the 'right' people, you will find many more gems ala Zoggy. And they won't cost £12m like Walcott did, or £1.5m like Ben Tozer did. That's how Wenger's built up his Arsenal team. If Houllier gets a decent shot at this job, I reckon, in time, this will be how he'll want to build his team as well. He certainly tried to do that at Liverpool by signing Le Tallec, Pongolle, the young keeper and Diarra. And since it seems that France seems to be the hotbed for young football talent, we'll be hiring someone whose job is to KNOW where the talented ones are and whose job is to develop it. Houllier's the man for us :thup: