Chris Mort: Criteria for the new man in charge

WhatTheFunk

Does anyone else think all this talk of stylish, 'carpet' football is heaping unnecessary pressure on the new manager before he's even arrived? I'm convinced Newcastle fans would be delighted if significant success came with winning 'ugly', it was losing ugly which was the problem.

They need to be careful on that front, but I think it's commonly accepted (by the board and the fans) that winning is first and foremost.

... and that Newcastle are not soon to be a team that can expect to win all games, hence a "style" of football where at least those kind of inevitable losses are at least in some kind bearable and not resulting in booing-orgies again.

I think this is good, very clear - this kind of communication is/was needed.

I would go further.

I would publish a 5 year plan, with 'goals' for each season, try to get the fans to buy into it - and then as long as we are meeting those goals, no more sackings, and everyone gets behind the team.

This season  - avoid relegation

Next season - top ten finish

Following season - UEFA cup qualification at end of season (via Intertoto is ok)

Following season - Top 6 finish

Final Year 5 - Top 4

It doesn't work like that, and weren't those basically the same targets as Allardyce?

The problem wasn't with the targets set by Allardyce, it was the dross served up by him.

If the football is good, surely this will reflect in the league position? Avoiding relegation and top 10 second season, realistic maybe but I'm not sure the fans would be satisfied with that.

Avoiding relegation is our aim this season as well as making his mark behind the scenes, next season we should be looking at closing in on the top 6 with a Uefa cup place expected.

All sounds almost professional, except perhaps this bit - 'However, we are not currently a Champions League team, and in six seasons out of the last ten we have finished in the bottom half of the Premier League.'

That shouldn't be a detractor but a positive. We should have done better and with you at the helm we would have done - and now will if you come on board. Saying we can't get a top manager because we haven't achieved as much as we could have hardly seems apt somehow.

Promising words.

Very.

It sounds like they know what they want, i think they are close and this is just something to let the fans know that they want to keep in communication with us during the process instead of getting all our info from the media.

Indeed. Otherwise why release this now?

The criteria is all agreeable, though we need to be careful not to appoint someone who will simply conform to it and be afraid to try new ideas in their own style.

People have got reservations about the football GH would play. Its eased for me slightly when you think what Liverpool's ethos was at the time, winning games was imperative as they tried to catch up Manu. Then winning trophies became paramount and no one was complaining then. When it became a problem was when he fell ill and Thompson took over. They went all out defence, do it for Houllier, and played some of the most boring stuff going. When he came back the mentality was difficult to break, i'm sure he tried a few times to break out, but it ended up kicking him in the teeth, when he did the team would concede, so he stayed defensive. It became catch-22.

I really don't think the image painted on him was indeed fair, or all his doing.

If given the job here, and told to attack, like at Lyon, then i think that's what he'd happily do, but being able to defend while doing that job. With Shearer alongside him and the Ashley pressure on attacking stylish football, i think he'd have a great time once the messy stuff (this season) is out of the way. I think direction from the board is a must in some ways, a distinct direction that they will stick too, not a scatter gun approach like previous.

Does anyone else think all this talk of stylish, 'carpet' football is heaping unnecessary pressure on the new manager before he's even arrived? I'm convinced Newcastle fans would be delighted if significant success came with winning 'ugly', it was losing ugly which was the problem.

They need to be careful on that front, but I think it's commonly accepted (by the board and the fans) that winning is first and foremost.

... and that Newcastle are not soon to be a team that can expect to win all games, hence a "style" of football where at least those kind of inevitable losses are at least in some kind bearable and not resulting in booing-orgies again.

Agree with this, most definitely. From what I've witnessed at SJP from the crowd over the past few seasons, I genuinely think the booing will be quelled if the team is going all-guns-blazing against whoever we are facing. It's different being utterly atrocious and getting beaten by Sheff Utd, etc. than it is having a go and going down fighting.

For all people say that results are the top priority (which is right, of course), the performances do have a major impact on things. Even as recently as Man City, where we went 0-1 down before half-time, the players were applauded from the field because we'd been playing it on the deck and having a real go at the opposition.

That said a lot to me at the time, and resonates now.

Agree with this, most definitely. From what I've witnessed at SJP from the crowd over the past few seasons, I genuinely think the booing will be quelled if the team is going all-guns-blazing against whoever we are facing. It's different being utterly atrocious and getting beaten by Sheff Utd, etc. than it is having a go and going down fighting.

For all people say that results are the top priority (which is right, of course), the performances do have a major impact on things. Even as recently as Man City, where we went 0-1 down before half-time, the players were applauded from the field because we'd been playing it on the deck and having a real go at the opposition.

blueyes.gif

No-one else think it's telling that they don't mention experience.

:thup:

Aye, none of the critera directly rules out Big Al, does it?

And the fact he's back from holiday today, along with Ashley as well. Contact is bound to be made.

If people can see the team are prepared to have a go then they will get backing, Allardyce got stick for his negative substitutions during games when we were behind which didn't do him any favours at all.

It's all very sensible IMO. I wouldn't have mentioned the 'carpet football', because that can be a bit of a stick to beat the new manager with, but apart from that, it sounded very on the ball.

The final paragraph was well worth stating. A manager who has fought their way up during their career to manage a Champions League side isn't likely to fancy starting all over again with us.

Guest bluegeordie

I think this is good, very clear - this kind of communication is/was needed.

I would go further.

I would publish a 5 year plan, with 'goals' for each season, try to get the fans to buy into it - and then as long as we are meeting those goals, no more sackings, and everyone gets behind the team.

This season  - avoid relegation

Next season - top ten finish

Following season - UEFA cup qualification at end of season (via Intertoto is ok)

Following season - Top 6 finish

Final Year 5 - Top 4

Sounds like we might need someone in this mould to take over the managerial reins:

http://www.russianlife.com/archive/WWIIstalin.JPG

Come to think of it, his 5 year plans ticked two major boxes that would suit me just fine - 1) they revolutionised production, to the point where the USSR rapidly closed the gap between itself and its rivals, and 2) just as importantly, the plans were very, very, very harsh on the workers who were charged with implementing them ... which personally I don't mind the sound of, given some of the performances from our "workers" that we've had to endure over the past few seasons. It's just a pity that Dyer, Baba etc have already left The Toon.   

Another thing we could perhaps learn from "Uncle Joe" is the benefit of wholesale purges, starting with the likes of Captain Smudge, Terry Mac, Carr Wreck etc etc 

If people can see the team are prepared to have a go then they will get backing, Allardyce got stick for his negative substitutions during games when we were behind which didn't do him any favours at all.

:thup:

The 'rather lose 4-3 than win 1-0' thing is bullshit iyam, but a bit of entertainment wouldn't go amiss, even if we end up losing.

Not at all. I think it is good that those who are interested in the job know this from the outset, and I think it's good that we have clarified this ourselves before looking to appoint someone, so that we can look at the type of football each candidate has produced with their former teams.

Look, even the best of teams get involved in ugly games once in a while, as sometimes it is difficult to play perfect football which could be due to anything such as the weather and even the opponents you face. However, having a manager who truly believes in this philosophy of playing this type of football is what is important. This is because their ideas will constantly be preached to the players we have and we will inevitably play good football the majority of the time and for the majority of our games at least. It will also mean we will bring in the types of players who can make this more possible.

I'm impressed and hugely relieved. It certainly looks like we are going about things the right way. Here's hoping.

"if interested, call Mr C. Mort on 07........"

sounds like we're advertising the job through the programme.

Nowt wrong with that though. The chairman doing a great job of providing the fans with an insight into their thought process. Good read imo.

Communication. Vital part of the whole process.

Another thing that let Sam down in the fact that he didnt let the fans know what his thought processes were with his team selections.

Good move by Mort.

- We would like a manager willing to develop the youth side of the club. For too long the club has missed out on too much of the young footballing talent in the region and, these days, that talent also needs to combined with young talent sourced both nationally and internationally.

With all the work he put in helping develop Clairefontaine I think Houllier would be perfect for the criteria the club have set.

I can see him running the club and Shearer taking charge on the training ground everyday, that's if they work together that is.

the plan was deliberately low-key.

of course, if we can get ahead of the plan, then great.

but I remember Bobby's first couple of seasons  - taking over and getting us 11th when relegation was a real threat, and following that up with a second season at 11th...

I don't think we should be expecting top six next season - would be great, but we need to lower expectations a bit.

All the people saying we need stability are right to some degree ... so, we should avoid too much frustration if we are not challenging for top 4 next season ... we are SO low at the moment, such a clear-out needed (bye-bye Carr, Geremi, Smith, Owen (? - I would swop for Defoe) etc) ... the new man, is going to need support AND time ...

- We would like a manager willing to develop the youth side of the club. For too long the club has missed out on too much of the young footballing talent in the region and, these days, that talent also needs to combined with young talent sourced both nationally and internationally.

With all the work he put in helping develop Clairefontaine I think Houllier would be perfect for the criteria the club have set.

I can see him running the club and Shearer taking charge on the training ground everyday, that's if they work together that is.

But what about the style of play?! Did you guys not watch Houllier's Liverpool team?!