Deschamps jumps from 80/1 to favourite with bookmakers

Guest hindu times
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest elbee909

jesus wept!  Just got in from work and read this!  It keeps getting better and better in terms of high-profile names!

Give it 2 days and we'll finally have reached Mourinho!

I think after that we'll have some sort of resurrection/cloning thing in place and putting together hybrids of all the best football managers in history, with material dug up from graves etc.

Guest Christian Hayne

It seems as the further the evening has gone on, the news has stopped no longer any reports. can't see this happening

Guest elbee909

It seems as the further the evening has gone on, the news has stopped no longer any reports. can't see this happening

;D

Guest GAMMELL

I hope to f*ck we can pull this one off.

Very ambitious from the Board if it's to be believed.

I'm defo all for Didier! Would be a fantastic appointment    :toothy12: :icon_thumleft:

Because he was a great player and is a foreign?

Yes mate exactly  :rolleyes:

I'd have the f*cker here ahead of Shearer/Keegan/A'rry et al anyday of the week!!

I hate it when the number of users tips the server over. I always think something has happened. :lol:

"Souness takes over again :( :( [pages: 1 2 .. 41355 41356]"

:laugh:

Don't even joke about it. :nope:

Page numbers looked realistic enough though if it did happen..

So appointing a bloke who had only captained his country & was a leader of a team in black N white but with no managerial experince can work out.

Or a manager who took a pretty average side by European standards to the Champions League Final, playing an attractive style of football perhaps...

I never thought he could be in the frame! 

I really liked his teams, always had a good balance!

If he can't motivate then theres no hope for us!

Ohhh can you imagine the Garlic hairdryer that Smith would get if he's sliding around like Zangief from street fighter 2?

have SSN just said he doesnt want it?

I dont know have they

just someone on another forum said

may be a wind up

606 by any chance?

aye not true then?

I've had Gillette Soccer Special on and they've not mentioned it at all.

Apologies if already posted

From Sportinglife

Deschamps Set For Toon Talks

Tue 15 Jan, 08:09 PM

Newcastle are set to turn to ex-Juventus boss Didier Deschamps to solve their managerial crisis.

The former French national skipper is due to fly in to Tyneside soon for talks with Magpies directors about replacing Sam Allardyce, who was sacked last week.

Their troubles were further compounded by a 6-0 thumping at Manchester United in the Premier League on Saturday evening and within 24 hours, the board had established contact with the man who took unfancied Monaco to the Champions League final in 2004.

Early reports suggested Newcastle were more interested in former Liverpool manager Gerard Houllier.

But Houllier told his boss at France Football Federation's (FFF), Jean-Marie Escallettes, that he had no intention of quitting his job as technical director.

Escalettes said: "I talked to Gerard by telephone - he is on business for us in the United Sates at the moment - and he told me 'every time an English club is in difficulty my name comes up'.

"Gerard's word is enough for me. He is at the DTN (technical director) and works for us.

"Gerard had an extraordinary image in England, I'm flattered to hear his name all over the place, I tell myself we made the right choice; everyone wants to have him."

Newcastle now seem to have switched attention to 39-year-old Deschamps, who turned down an approach from Manchester City last summer.

At that stage, he wanted to stay in France with his son still at school but he may now see this as a good opportunity and has agreed to meet Newcastle chairman Chris Mort to talk personal terms.

Guest LucaAltieri

I dont know have they

may be a wind up

606 by any chance?

Anyone remember when 606 was decent? When they had proper(ish) forums?

Guest elbee909

I dont know have they

may be a wind up

606 by any chance?

aye not true then?

Don't know, but it was written by a guy called Borogully, so I'd imagine he's on a wind-up.

Just remind anyone who's a Boro fan who their manager is.  I'd rather be in our position than theirs... Boro = complete ignominomy.

So appointing a bloke who had only captained his country & was a leader of a team in black N white but with no managerial experince can work out.

Or a manager who took a pretty average side by European standards to the Champions League Final, playing an attractive style of football perhaps...

Were talking about the same person :razz:

http://www.francefootball.fr/FF/breves2008/20080115_181148Dev.html

The ex-Blues captain is in contact with Newcastle's directors, ready for management once again after his last two experiences at Monaco & Juventus.

Newcastle are today looking for a manager, preferably foreign and possibly French "to give the Magpies a continental style that they don't have", and if the decision hasn't already been made, it's Deschamps, this Tuesday, who's ready to take over the leash. Contacts were first made on Sunday, just after the club's 6-0 hammering at Manchester United. Since then, British managers, both free and with clubs have been on the list, and the name of the ex-France captain was brought up with other names (such as Houllier).

Deschamps is expected to arrive in England or elsewhere in the next few hours to at last meet up to finalise a deal. He will meet up with the club's owner Mike Ashley (who at 39 is the same age as him), and Chairman Chris Mort.

In contact with Manchester City, another Premier League club, in the summer, he rejected the job for personal reasons, most notably because there were no French schools for his children. Although there are also none in Newcastle, Deschamps is desperate to return to management, and since it's not certain there'll be a host of clubs interested in a new manager at the end of the season, here lies a good opportunity to get back into it.