Deschamps jumps from 80/1 to favourite with bookmakers

Guest hindu times
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Deschamps is crazy ambitious. I wouldn't be surprised if he was really impressive in his interview with Mort.

His biggest issue at his previous clubs was control over signing players, which is why he wanted to get a premier league job, as he felt that the premier league clubs gave their managers the most control.

At Monaco they let Morientes, Giuly and Evra leave after that succesful campaign. At Juventus they tried to force Tiago and some other player on him, who he didn't want.

He's got a world class football mind which is half the battle.

Wasn't afraid to tell Juve to fuck off either.

Article:

http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/20080115_183458Dev.html

Anyone want to translate?

rough translation from my firefox add-on:

http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lequipe.fr%2FFootball%2F20080115_183458Dev.html&langpair=fr%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF8

According to information from France Football, relayed Tuesday on its website, "Didier Deschamps is expected in the hours to come to England (or elsewhere) to discuss with leaders Newcastle to finalize any agreement." Le nouveau président du club, Mike Ashley, et le chairman Chris Mort se tiennent prêts à le rencontrer, 72 heures après la déroute à Manchester (0-6). The new club president, Mike Ashley, and the chairman Chris Mort stands ready to meet him, 72 hours after the rout in Manchester (0-6).

for some reason I couldn't paste the rest in english but nowt special, just the gerard denial story really and some filler.

I don't know, I like Houllier's track record and experience and think he did a great job at sorting out Liverpool and thus could maybe replicate that here.  However, is he now leaning towards retirement, not got the same zest and energy?  Maybe Deschamps is up and coming, hungry? 

No doubt Deschamps is the bigger gamble of the two though. 

Based on who appears attainable (Realistically Mourinho, Hitzfeld, Hiddink, Van Gaal are not interested), the Houllier would be a good choice, and I could warm to Deschamps too.

Houllier is less risk. Would solidify the club and set us up for phase 2 - breaking into the Big 4 (just like Ranieri at Chelsea)

Deschamps is certainly higher risk but maybe better football played.

Keegan/Shearer would be have big initial impact and have the time/credibility to make changes.

I'd be happy with any of these.

I don't see how anyone could object to an appointment like this, really. All for it.

Tbf, he's only had one real job. The other one was a mickey mouse one in which anyone could have succeeded (bringing Juve back up). It's an ambitious move and has come out of nowhere but I don't see much difference between him and Shearer. He'll know more about football in general because of his international and club experience but Shearer will get more time from our fans. I wonder why they've gone for him and not Shearer ???

Really??  They started on minus 10 points wasn't it?  Plus I'm sure quite a few of there best players left as well, yet they still finished top.

Minus 15, I thought

EDIT - Was 9

Not much, is it?

They drew their first game then went on a 7 game winning streak and had closed most of the gap already. They had Buffon, Legrotaglie (sp?), Zanetti, Nedved, Trezeguet, Bojinov, Del Piero, Zebina, Boumsong etc. Most of them are internationals who are still there for Juve today (and they're in 3rd place I think).

Guest elbee909

Younger than Nicky Butt.

Excellent!

Could step into midfield ahead of Butt too! Get him in pronto!

He's not younger.  Probably better though.

Who would you prefer? Houllier or Deschamps? Pretty close for me, I'd even say Deschamps could be good with things still to prove and a increased will to impress.

Would take either of these ahead of Hughes/Redknapp/Keegan/Shearer

:clap:

Agreed, after feeling a little uneasy at first I think it's a promising sign that Ashley and Mort have (supposedly) put a manager like Deschamps on their shortlist, young, ambitious, hungry for success, and experience of managing in more than one country

I'm unsure, as I've not heard enough about him as manager (don't follow European football much), but it'd be exciting to see what he could do. Definitely more risky than Houllier, but I'm not saying that's a bad thing.

I don't see how anyone could object to an appointment like this, really. All for it.

Tbf, he's only had one real job. The other one was a mickey mouse one in which anyone could have succeeded (bringing Juve back up). It's an ambitious move and has come out of nowhere but I don't see much difference between him and Shearer. He'll know more about football in general because of his international and club experience but Shearer will get more time from our fans. I wonder why they've gone for him and not Shearer ???

Really??  They started on minus 10 points wasn't it?  Plus I'm sure quite a few of there best players left as well, yet they still finished top.

Minus 15, I thought

EDIT - Was 9

Not much, is it?

They drew their first game then went on a 7 game winning streak and had closed most of the gap already. They had Buffon, Legrotaglie (sp?), Zanetti, Nedved, Trezeguet, Bojinov, Del Piero, Zebina, Boumsong etc. Most of them are internationals who are still there for Juve today (and they're in 3rd place I think).

Not the point though. He came in, managed to keep most of their big stars, won Serie B and then when he wasn't given control of the transfers told them to fuck off. Did the same at Monaco too when they started selling people from under him, a season after he got them to the CL final.

Well worth the risk

Mort's criteria:

Deschamps satisfies what is bold

But anything unboldened is questionable.

This will be our first managerial appointment since taking control of the Club, and if we are going to get it right then the new manager will have to satisfy a number of criteria, which include:

- To have the team playing with the right balance of winning football and stylish football. This is probably the most difficult task. There are some clubs in the country where it is essential that the team generally tries to play football with some flair, and this is one of them.In the most difficult league in the world it is only the great managers that can combine that sort of style with winning. We appreciate we will have defeats and losing runs along the way but if the team is not trying to play football "on the carpet" as Sir Bobby Robson recently described it I think they will always struggle to win over the followers of Newcastle United.

- We would like a manager willing to develop the youth side of the club. For too long the club has missed out on too much of the young footballing talent in the region and, these days, that talent also needs to combined with young talent sourced both nationally and internationally.

- A manager that can speak English. There have been media suggestions that we would only appoint a British manager. That is not true. However, we think this is a big enough job without the manager having to operate through an interpreter, so the manager will have to be someone who is able to speak English.

- We need someone willing and able to take on, and cope with, Newcastle United. As a big club with massive potential this is a fabulous club to manage, and some of the candidates we have talked to appreciate that fact. However, we are not currently a Champions League team, and in six seasons out of the last ten we have finished in the bottom half of the Premier League. That means we are not necessarily going to interest a manger who is already at a team playing Champions League football or whose only ambition is to manage a top team in, say, Spain or Italy. We have also seen over recent months the pressures placed on Newcastle United and its manager by some of the press and occasionally by some of the supporters - we need someone who is willing and able to handle that.

So it can be questioned that he is a manager of style over substance, who may not want this job, and can't guarantee results.

Beggars can't be chossers however.

Deschamps is crazy ambitious. I wouldn't be surprised if he was really impressive in his interview with Mort.

His biggest issue at his previous clubs was control over signing players, which is why he wanted to get a premier league job, as he felt that the premier league clubs gave their managers the most control.

At Monaco they let Morientes, Giuly and Evra leave after that succesful campaign. At Juventus they tried to force Tiago and some other player on him, who he didn't want.

He's got a world class football mind which is half the battle.

Wasn't afraid to tell Juve to f*** off either.

That's the thing. The guy has got principles. He doesn't hang around if people mess him about. He could be excellent if we really back him and support him, which Mort and Ashley seem like they will do.

This appointment is just sexy. It's fresh, exciting and not obvious. It makes you feel a bit anxious, but the potential for it to be great is there. It would be a nice long term move.

The guy is young and hungry and has been looking for the right conditions without any compromises. He will certainly want to prove a point.

Please God! This is the type of move you would see Arsenal make and not us.

Maybe things are finally changing around here.

Ja, den er faktisk veldig pen. Men synes den gamle gode hvite macbooken er mye penere! Litt skuffet over utseendet, enda mer skuffet over prisen.

If any of this is true,i have to say i like the direction that Mort and Ashley are going,  it makes me think that Redknapp wasnt offered the job but rather touted for it and spoken to about it.

:thup: from me.