Kevin Keegan

pinkeye

8 hours ago, NUFC91 said:

Aye and any fan who had a go at it SBR were idiots and his comments were absolutely spot on. We had'nt won anything in years and he came in to a club certain to be relagated and had European football all within such a short space of time. The dressing room comment always me laugh as those who thought they were above him probably peaked career wise under him and we got significantly worse after he left.

What Howe has done for us is unbelievable but Sir Bobby did the same hence why he deserves his statue. However I agree Keegan deserves one.

SBR came in during September with 32 games left to play and a more than capable squad at his disposal.

It's ridiculous to suggest we were certain to be relegated.

18 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

SBR came in during September with 32 games left to play and a more than capable squad at his disposal.

It's ridiculous to suggest we were certain to be relegated.

Yep.  Given, Solano, Ferguson, Dyer, Speed, Shearer, Lee etc

Gullit was sacked in August - there was plenty of time left :) 

11 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Balls to a statue - I still say rename the East Stand.  Or have both. 

No thanks. Don't mind a Keegan suite or whatever but we have our stand names. Leazes, Gallowgate, East stand and Milburn

Leazes was called the Sir John Hall Stand when it was rebuilt in 1993 and the Gallowgate End was called the Exhibition Stand when it was rebuild in 1994 before both being renamed back to their original names in years to come.

Wouldn't object to the East Stand being renamed after Keegan. He deserves it imo. As has been mentioned he, above all, shaped the club into what it is today.

All of us who were watching pre 1992 with 13/14,000 others will vouch for that. He literally changed everything.

20 minutes ago, madras said:

No thanks. Don't mind a Keegan suite or whatever but we have our stand names. Leazes, Gallowgate, East stand and Milburn

The old west being called the Milburn is more recent than my birth.  A rebuilt East stand in particular would need a new name.  

Just now, Wallsendmag said:

Leazes was called the Sir John Hall Stand when it was rebuilt in 1993 and the Gallowgate End was called the Exhibition Stand when it was rebuild in 1994 before both being renamed back to their original names in years to come.

Wouldn't object to the East Stand being renamed after Keegan. He deserves it imo. As has been mentioned he, above all, shaped the club into what it is today.

All of us who were watching pre 1992 with 13/14,000 others will vouch for that. He literally changed everything.

Did anyone call them that ? I'm one of those that was there then (it was more than that btw, we were down to that in the David Barton days) and I'm not in favour of rena.ing stuff that already has a name.

4 minutes ago, madras said:

Did anyone call them that ? I'm one of those that was there then (it was more than that btw, we were down to that in the David Barton days) and I'm not in favour of rena.ing stuff that already has a name.

We had loads of sub 15k crowds in the 90/91 season. I was stood in all them. Crowds picked up in 91/92 but still remember a game v Cambridge where the crowd was 13k and 14k v Southend. They didn't even bother opening the Leazes End v Southend!

Edited: Just checked and we had 8 sub 15k crowds in the 90/91 season.

Edited by Wallsendmag

6 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

We had loads of sub 15k crowds in the 90/91 season. I was stood in all them. Crowds picked up in 91/92 but still remember a game v Cambridge where the crowd was 13k and 14k v Southend. They didn't even bother opening the Leazes End v Southend!

There were some, not as many as the early 80s. Rarely seemed that low when in the ground.

8 hours ago, madras said:

There were some, not as many as the early 80s. Rarely seemed that low when in the ground.

I'd have to disagree. Looked completely dead in that 90/91 season and for parts of the 91/92 season. I'm too young to remember the really early 80s, I started going in 83/84.

https://youtu.be/XzP_aZu2w74?si=1iSsBUto5fJ5lJli

Edited by Wallsendmag

No single person did more for this club in my lifetime than Keegan… but it wasn’t just the club, it was like he grabbed the whole city by the scruff of the neck and lifted it… and not once but twice… the sheer joy, hope and excitement he brought with him was unbelievable…

In his time as a player st. James was bouncing and away games were class… Man City home and away… Liverpool 0-4, all the promotion games… fuckin loved every minute of it as a young lad…

And when he came back as manager he did exactly the same thing…

So whether it’s a statue, stand I’m not bothered as long as we do something .. love the bloke me… love him..

There was a period when I feared 13/14K crowds would become the norm and 17 to 20K "good" attendances. One man dragged us out of this mire and without him we could've just been a club that's existed rather than experience the highs we've periodically enjoyed. A comparison I always consider as what we may have become is a Sheff Wed & Derby type existence.

Keegan is an absolute legend and please push for his recognition. A statue is the very least he warrants. 

As has been said, KK virtually saved the club, not once, but twice. Those of us who remember the 1st time may well say the 1st was more important than the 2nd. Without the 1st, KK would not have returned as manager, there was no Premier League/ SKY around the corner. The club was was in a coma, nobody believed we’d ever be anything other than a has been. I still can’t believe he joined as a player.

Stand or Statue, KK deserves something. His impact has been immense.

I do still find it a bit odd that we have statues for SBR in the context of just having a plaque for Joe Harvey, nothing for Stan Seymour, and nothing for Keegan who saved the club.

Nothing wrong with having one for SBR, but the lack of anything meaningful for the others is odd.

44 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I do still find it a bit odd that we have statues for SBR in the context of just having a plaque for Joe Harvey, nothing for Stan Seymour, and nothing for Keegan who saved the club.

Nothing wrong with having one for SBR, but the lack of anything meaningful for the others is odd.

What’s the overall context I suppose. My memory is terrible, was the SBR statute before or after he passed or when he was terminally ill? 

joe Harvey I’m afraid is before I was born, when did his plaque go up? Does it pre date statues, were we broke when the discussions happened. Im sure if fans wanted one it could be done.

keegan obviously needs to be celebrated in some way, but no Surprise nothing happened during the previous owners. I like the idea of a new stand and a statue. 

overall I think statutes should be consulted on with the fans, let’s not forget the Micheal Jackson one at Fulham! 

5 hours ago, Wallsendmag said:

I'd have to disagree. Looked completely dead in that 90/91 season and for parts of the 91/92 season. I'm too young to remember the really early 80s, I started going in 83/84.

https://youtu.be/XzP_aZu2w74?si=1iSsBUto5fJ5lJli

90/91 was awful like. We started fairly well but fell away and by new year we were mid table with no chance of promotion or relegation. I think we drew 3 or 4 home games in a row 0-0.

I’ve always thought the Bobby one is what he did for the region (particularly raising money for cancer treatment and having a funded a wing at the Freeman) and his overall impact on world football as opposed to “just” his achievements as Newcastle manager - where it is fair to say others who don’t have a statue achieved more.

His impact more widely though was significant enough for a statue, coupled with the role he played when manager of the club.

26 minutes ago, Beth said:

90/91 was awful like. We started fairly well but fell away and by new year we were mid table with no chance of promotion or relegation. I think we drew 3 or 4 home games in a row 0-0.

Felt like more tbh! Just about every home match seemed to be a tedious 0-0 draw! There was clearly a massive hangover on and off the pitch to losing to the mackems in the Play Offs the season before. The ground was completely dead as well. Just an awful time.

7 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

The Joe Harvey plaque is fucking shite, a piss poor effort for a legendary player/manager. 

Deserves better 

8 hours ago, Beth said:

What was the xGA but like :lol: