Why we love our Kevin Keegan

Guest Knightrider

Guest Knightrider

It's not often I'm left speechless, certainly where Newcastle United is concerned, but these past few days I've been walking about unable to quite articulate what I feel at the moment in the form of words. Physically hasn't been a problem. I'll describe my physical state as walking that little bit taller, with my smile the width of the Tyne. I'm buzzing and while my mind is telling me to yell out a great big "GET THE FUCK IN", nothing comes out and I know why. It still hasn't sunk in. That and I'm holding out for tomorrow where I can let it all out at the match.

Ever since he left the club 11 years ago I've pined for his return, I think we all have, such was his impact not just on our club but us as fans. The club certainly has. Every era and new manager has been judged by the class of King Kev - the great entertainers. Every one of them had failed bar Sir Bobby Robson, a man made from the same cloth only much closer to home. The rest though is a void not worth thinking about.

I'll never forget the day KK left. I hadn't been supporting the club very long and was only a teenager so all I had known was KK, to me he was Newcastle United. When he left I thought 'that's it, it's over'. It wasn't quite end of the world stuff looking back but it sure felt like it at the time. You felt it in the pit of your stomach. A huge sense of loss replaced by an even bigger sense of fear regarding the future.

As sure as night follows day KK's era was soon wiped out by a succession of decisions, mostly bad or the wrong ones. To the point where 16 years later I was starting to wonder whether there would be any one out there for my club, for me, who would bring it all back. The good days. The days when all you thought about all day was the match, who would do what at the weekend, who we were linked with on the back pages of the Chronicle on the way back from school, what was happening at Newcastle United today.

I can't describe that type of feeling. Admittedly being a starry eyed kid who was just getting into this wonderful sport we call football and this truly magnetic club we all love played a huge part in those feelings, but without Keegan I'd be just like any other  Tynesider who takes a interest in Newcastle United out of duty (being a Geordie) rather than out of sheer love (being a supporter).

It's thanks to Keegan I have this passion, this love and this obsession with NUFC. But it goes far deeper. It's thanks to Keegan and his team that I've had some of the experiences I enjoyed as a kid growing up. I was never interested in football or NUFC until that promotion season, despite a Toon daft father, uncles and of course, friends and other family members being Toon fans. Not until Keegan mania swept the City a second time having done so back in the 80s as a player which I vaguely remember as my dad  would never shut up about him.

By experiences I mean playing football from 9.00 in the morning until 10 at night during summer holidays non stop with the whole street, subscribing to all the footy mags and eagerly awaiting the date they'd hit the newsagents to find out what they were saying about Newcastle and which Newcastle poster came with them, selling my prized mountain bike so I could buy a decent football and some boots, me and my kid brother playing Championship Manager with football Merlin Premier League stickers.

(We'd write the value of each player on the back of stickers, sort them out into GKs, defenders, midfielders, strikers and by value and we'd each have 25m to spend. Once we had 11 players we'd overturn our stickers and based on which player had a better rating by team one of us would win the match. We'd get bonus points for every Toon player we had in our side. We would create a league table and try to mimic a 38 a season campaign. Me being older I cheated, I'd nick the corners of Toon players slightly so I knew which were which. Andy Cole was like the golden ticket in Willy Wonka.)

Ah, those daft stickers. They were a craze all of their own.

92-97 was such a great time for me as a kid never mind as a NUFC fan. I know it isn't true but I remember those days as if the sun was always out, that every single day was a beehive of fun and wonder. The mind plays tricks I know because when we beat the mackems at SJP it was pissing down outside and I got into a few scrapes as a youngster but they were good days. The best days. As if life was perfect. Great mates. Great family. Great football on the local field, great manager, great team, great club. What more could a kid ask for.

Well today I feel like that kid again. All week nothing but NUFC has dominated my thoughts. As soon as I found out KK was returning I wanted to be there against Stoke and I was. I want to be there tomorrow and I shall be. I go to work which I love and I can't wait to get back home to read this forum. For the first time in ages I bought a Chronicle today, just to read about it all. At 2.00 this afternoon, time stopped. I stopped. My place of work stopped. We all sat silent listening to KK on the wireless which was followed by a rendition of "Keegan wonderland" to a man.

I know his return defies common sense, it will probably all end in tears and my head is saying no no no. But my heart is beating like it once did where NUFC is concerned. Excited. To see Keegan back, talking like he is, with that sparkle in his eye and the promise of what lies ahead, feels right. It feels fucking great. IOt feels like Newcastle United, the club I love and the club I've missed.

Do you know when you're dying for a piss, that tingly feeling, that feeling if you don't go NOW you're gonna burst? You want to just piss yourself. You know it will leave a mess but you know for a few seconds it will feel oh so fucking great, but you can't and don't which just intensifies the feeling. Well, that's how I feel now and I imagine the whole of Tyneside too. I'm dying for that piss.

I'll keep it in until the morra though where along with 53,000 others and every bar up and down the Toon, I'll let it all out.

By then it will be a sex wee.

Welcome back King Kev, get the fuck in  :clap2:  :thup:  :clap:  blueyes.gif  :weep:  :smitten:

Lets not get too carried away. I get the feeling everyone will be in the mood for a party tomorrow night but we've got a game to win first, and theres a huge chance Bolton could dampen the atmosphere somewhat. I'll save my uber-celebrations till the final whistle and a good Toon win.

Guest Knightrider

Lets not get too carried away. I get the feeling everyone will be in the mood for a party tomorrow night but we've got a game to win first, and theres a huge chance Bolton could dampen the atmosphere somewhat. I'll save my uber-celebrations till the final whistle and a good Toon win.

Normally I'd agree with your sentiments and I'm certainly not getting carried away about tomorrow's match, it will be a hard game, but KK's return is a big deal, a huge one.

yes normally these things end in disappointment, i just hope for once we can just have a great day to remember and great result.

Normally I'd agree with your sentiments and I'm certainly not getting carried away about tomorrow's match, it will be a hard game, but KK's return is a big deal, a huge one.

I hope you're not implying I don't think his return is a big deal. It's a massive one and I'm excited as much as anyone. We've still got a tough match to win, only wish I was there tomorrow to help on the boys.

:)

• 3 years later...

been on it all day yes

but it was sunday, isn't that normally the day people hit you on the head with a cricket bat ?

that was on a monday, actually been on the piss at the cricket club all day

Guest BooBoo

God that Bolton game was bloody awful. Never has a party fallen so flat as it did that Saturday night.

God that Bolton game was bloody awful. Never has a party fallen so flat as it did that Saturday night.

Blame Botlton for that. 

They didn't even attempt to play fotball.