Africa Cup of Nations

Decky

Oba is joint favorite along with Momo & Yakubu at 11 to 1 to be the first player to be declared AWOL/absent once their tournament is over.

Yak won't go AWOL. Moyes would give him a serious beatdown.

AYE!!!

At the moment i'm thinking Song is the favorite

Yak has alredy done it. Although Song may go missing longer.

Egypt, fantastic teamwork, not a great team indivudually but as a team they were the best team this tournament. Fantastic team to watch and how shit is MIDO, talk about getting better without that c^^^

Guest Spurs_from_Africa

Oba is joint favorite along with Momo & Yakubu at 11 to 1 to be the first player to be declared AWOL/absent once their tournament is over.

Yak won't go AWOL. Moyes would give him a serious beatdown.

AYE!!!

Well, I didn't think anyone could be so stupid. Moyes is the only man in football who ever stood up to Duncan Ferguson so there was no chance Yakubu would getaway with acting the goat.

Abou-treika is a very good player, Everton wanted him in the summer but he wanted to stay in Egypt with his family.

Where did you  get that from?  I've never even heard us linked with him, nevermind make an offer.

It was all over the sport pages in Egypt during the summer. I believe there was an interview with him as well.

When I speak to some people who know a bit about football they think  one of Africa's black nations will win. Yet  3 of the last finalists from the last two African nations cup have been from Arab countries in North Africa, like wise 3 of the last 5 winners have been from North Africa.

gazza ladra & 1878  :thup:

Well, I have to say you were spot on.

Although I'm still surprised a West African team never won the tournament. I also don't think anyone would have predicted Cameroon to get furthest out of the West African countries... Ghana and Ivory Coast were everybody's picks and they both underperformed.

Spurs_from_Africa- that's interesting about Aboutreika then but I don't see where he would fit into the team unless he would have only been coming as cover for Cahill.

Guest Spurs_from_Africa

I said before, underestimate Egypt and you will get egg on ur face. Very underrated team.

1878, do you still play a 4-5-1 formation? Hes a playmaker and so would have maybe played the arteta role rather than cahill, although like you say, he would have acted as back-up to him, but then again, its no shame playing second fiddle to arteta.

Feel free to correct me, obviously you will have a far better knowledge of your team/formations etc.  

Guest Sniffer

Thank Christ the tournament is over.

Perhaps they can stage it at a more realistic time which doesn't fuck with the premier league.

Perhaps they can stage it at a more realistic time which doesn't f*** with the premier league.

Why the fuck should they ??? It's an older competition than the Euro championships

Because the Premiership is more important than everything else.

The Prem is a joke, average football and only 2 maybe 3 competitive teams

Guest Spurs_from_Africa

Perhaps they can stage it at a more realistic time which doesn't f*** with the premier league.

Not going to get involved in an argument on this but the ACN is older than the euros, pl, most competitions actually. I see no reason why we should have it at another time, especially as it is unrealistic to hold it in the summer for example.

It was still rubbish for the most part. Not a patch on the Euros, tbh.

Disagree. Great in places, poor in others. There is a huge gap between the decent African sides and the poorer ones, although I would say a few sides were disappointing such as Morocco and Senegal. Only the performances of Guinea and Angola really pleasantly surprised me.

International football is shite, clubs should have more power over their players, they do pay for them, train them and look after them on and off the pitch, then the NT comes along and borrows them for a bit, its just not on, especially when clubs miss players during important games, games which could decide on if those players get paid next season or having to be sold on as the clubs been relegated.

ANC can stay at this time of year, but clubs should be allowed to retain the players they pay for, if that happened i'm sure they'd move the time its played. Buying a decent African football now hampers you, pretty shit you have to think about the ANC when purchasing players from a certain nation.

International football is shite, clubs should have more power over their players, they do pay for them, train them and look after them on and off the pitch, then the NT comes along and borrows them for a bit, its just not on, especially when clubs miss players during important games, games which could decide on if those players get paid next season or having to be sold on as the clubs been relegated.

ANC can stay at this time of year, but clubs should be allowed to retain the players they pay for, if that happened i'm sure they'd move the time its played. Buying a decent African football now hampers you, pretty shit you have to think about the ANC when purchasing players from a certain nation.

It will be moved in less than a decade.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/africa/7194966.stm

It will be moved in less than a decade.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/africa/7194966.stm

Good, they are only holding back the careers of their own.

About the only thing i've ever agreed on with Splatter mind, hope this doesn't mean anything.  :kasper: