Africa Cup of Nations

Decky

Geremi gets another goal, 2-1 at the moment to Cameroon.

Terrific free-kick. Why can't he do that for us?

Should start for us on the right.

Time to reassess Geremi and what he brings to the team. Stultified by Big Sam's "tactics".

Think he'll bring more to the team than Milner.

Thats going a bit far, hes done OK in the ACN but theres not much quality in most teams bar 2-3 players per team

40 year old legs won't suffice out wide. i think he looked okay for us in the middle in all honesty, far better than Butt as he is more intelligent on the ball, with a greater variety of passes in his locker

He is faster than Butt as well

I think Keegan's said Beye and Faye definitely will be. Not sure about Obafemi. Doubt he will be given his track record.

probley mentioned somewere else but why were baye n faye not back on sunday but Kamara etc were?

I think Keegan's said Beye and Faye definitely will be. Not sure about Obafemi. Doubt he will be given his track record.

probley mentioned somewere else but why were baye n faye not back on sunday but Kamara etc were?

I suspect Keegan wants to check them out in training - he hardly knows them

40 year old legs won't suffice out wide. i think he looked okay for us in the middle in all honesty, far better than Butt as he is more intelligent on the ball, with a greater variety of passes in his locker

Yep sadly the one playing out wide at the minute has them aswell.

Yep sadly the one playing out wide at the minute has them aswell.

:laugh:

Brilliant game between Cameroon and Tunisia. Some insane goals as has become the norm in this tournament. Tunisia were very unlucky. Cameroon clinical and professional.

Manucho's finish for Angola was something else as well.

Special mention for Tunisia's Yassine Chikhaoui. Zidane look-alike. At 21, he has excellent fluid movement.

I'd welcome Geremi in the holding role....think he would actually be quite good there behind Barton or Emre playing the more advanced role...

Anybody think he could possibly play at left back? Moving Zogs up field and rotating Milner/Duff/Zog as our widemen?

I'd welcome Geremi in the holding role....think he would actually be quite good there behind Barton or Emre playing the more advanced role...

Anybody think he could possibly play at left back? Moving Zogs up field and rotating Milner/Duff/Zog as our widemen?

That absence thing again IMO, a player goes away for a while and suddenly they're the answer. Geremi has been pretty crap this season. I fall for believing it about Emre every time.

@ElDialbo RE: the whole absence thing

Well, Geremi was out right for some of our better performances: the victories over West Ham, Everton, Tottehham, the draw with Arsenal, loss to Blackburn.

Yeah, he was out there for Liverpool as well. (I don't think he was involved in Portsmouth fiasco.)

But November and December are starting to look like the good old days compared to the shit we served up in January.

Sorry to keep beating on the Geremi horse but....

Did you know we haven't won a single league game in which Milner played on the right of the midfield?  Does that make sense?  Could be completely mistaken. But that's how it seems.

I was looking at football lineups.com and the only game we won with Milner on the right was Stoke City. Early on when we played 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 Milner was on the left wasn't he? We've won games with him on the left, but not on the right from what I've seen.

25 of our 28 points came with Geremi playing on the right. *

And I've been one to defend Milner -- repeatedly in the past. I'm not a Milner-basher. Though I'm starting to think that maybe I should be. To blame the team's problems on a single player is too simplistic --not to mention wrong, but... we've been toothless. So may be Geremi on the right is not the answer. Perhaps when Enrique and Zog return we'll see Duff on the right. Perhaps, Geremi as a CM. I'd certainly prefer him to Butt at this point.

* All numbers pulled from dubious sources by a bored inebriated non-statistician. Your results may vary.

Special mention for Tunisia's Yassine Chikhaoui. Zidane look-alike. At 21, he has excellent fluid movement.

looked a really good player.

For long time i see many Tunisian players was technically gifted.... include that brzilian born striker... but wonder why they are not seen around in premiership, serie A and spanish?

It was a great and exciting game yesterday like, fucking pissed Cameroon let their lead slip though, had a decent bet on them, Egypt and a local game here, both others went in.

On the topic of Geremi, I think he's been pretty much the definition of avarage this season. He's had some good games, some bad games and some games where he's been virtually invisable. I wouldn't have him in my starting XI, but definitely on the bench. He's rather calm on the ball, and can be useful when we're in the lead and need to slow things down and keep possession. Think he would've been useful for us on Sunday after we went 1-0 up, to be honest.

looked a really good player.

He IS a really good player...

Every time the commentator said his name, I thought he was about to say Chickadee-y :lol:

http://z.about.com/d/animatedtv/1/7/9/T/sp814_Woodland_Critter_Christmas_1.jpg