Africa Cup of Nations

Decky

Impressed by Geremi crossing TBH. Could do with a few of those on saturday.

Put some decent crosses in, aye. Can't believe how much of Cameroons game depended on him though, all the time in the second half, all they did was to give it Geremi and let him cross it towards Etoo or Idrisso (?? don't remember what he was called)

When I speak to some people who know a bit about football they think  one of Africa's black nations will win. Yet the 3 of the last finalists from the last two African nations cup have been from Arab countries in North Africa, like wise 3 of the last 5 winners have been from North Africa.

When I speak to some people who know a bit about football they think  one of Africa's black nations will win. Yet the 3 of the last finalists from the last two African nations cup have been from Arab countries in North Africa, like wise 3 of the last 5 winners have been from North Africa.

Well, the last three have been held in North Africa haven't they? Egypt (2006) Tunisia (2004); Mali (2002).

No surprise that Egypt and Tunisia each won the tournament that they hosted. And Mali was the only team from North Africa in the final four when they hosted.

When I speak to some people who know a bit about football they think  one of Africa's black nations will win. Yet the 3 of the last finalists from the last two African nations cup have been from Arab countries in North Africa, like wise 3 of the last 5 winners have been from North Africa.

The North Africans don't generally travel well.

I say either Ivory Coast or Ghana to win. Nigeria won't do anything imo because they're like the England of Africa.

Well, the last two have been held in North Africa haven't they? Tunisia (2004); Mali (2002).

No surprise that Tunisia won the tournament they hosted. And Mali was the only team from North Africa in the final four when they hosted.

You mean Egypt (2006) &  Tunisia (2004).

Tunisia did not win it they held it in 1994. I am not counting Mali as a North African arab nation. I am talking about Tunisia, Egypt & Morocco. I think one of them 3 will win it.

Well, the last two have been held in North Africa haven't they? Tunisia (2004); Mali (2002).

No surprise that Tunisia won the tournament they hosted. And Mali was the only team from North Africa in the final four when they hosted.

You mean Egypt (2006) &  Tunisia (2004).

Tunisia did not win it they held it in 1994. I am not counting Mali as a North African arab nation. I am talking about Tunisia, Egypt & Morocco. I think one of them 3 will win it.

(Edit: yeah, Egypt. I edited my post. Sorry)

Main point was that hosting a tournament can do a lot for a nation's chances.

And  1878's point is telling. Regardless of culture --Arab or not- it probably has more to do with geography than anything else. (I'm not sure if Mali is considered  Sub-Saharan-- perhaps not). Although,  I don't think it is just North Africans-- pretty sure that most national teams would have trouble playing that close to the equator.

From the BBC:

Nice move from Senegal, working some space down the right. Newcastle's Habib Beye in plenty of space. Just knock in a decent ball, mate. Oh, OK then, smash it about 30 yards out of play.

:iamatwat:

Guest LucaAltieri

I quite enjoed the Senegal game. They were unlucky not to win it. I reckon they'll be around for the latter stages. Not only do they have the players but they also look like they're able to play together (unlike Nigeria).

KEVIN KEEGAN could welcome back Oba Martins earlier than anticipated – if Nigeria slip up in tomorrow night’s clash with Mali at the African Cup of Nations.

Martins and the rest of his Super Eagles team-mates were gunned down by the Ivory Coast earlier in the week, and defeat against Fredi Kanoute’s Mali would all but end their participation in the competition.

And should Mali conjure up a shock victory against one of the tournament’s favourites, it would mean that Martins’ final game of the competition would be next Tuesday against Benin.

That would give the Toon No 9 an outside chance of being involved in the clash with Middlesbrough on February 3.

Last night, United stars Habib Beye and Abdoulaye Faye both played 90 minutes in Senegal’s 2-2 draw with Tunisia, as the North Africans scored a late equaliser in Tamale.

Beye admitted Group D will go right to the wire.

He said today: “I cannot speak about the finale of the group because the four teams are good and have arguments.

“To say it is a foregone conclusion would be to lack respect to South Africa and Angola.

“Perhaps if the statistics are looked at, one can say that Senegal and Tunisia are favourites, but we need to take things match by match.”

Senegal face Angola on Sunday with Beye and Faye both set to be included.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/01/24/is-cup-oba-for-martins-72703-20388667/