Will this summer be our most ambitious summer ever?

Willow
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I too am disappointed KK's not spent £10m on a Russian bloke he's probably never seen play.

Was just an example, but tbh, if he hasn't seen him play then he has no business in managing a premiership football club.

I'm sure he knows who he is, he just doesn't want to take a chance, i think we should, it can't harm us much.

Have a word man. :jesuswept:

If KK hasn't even requested a video of him then he's not the man for the job.

We need attacking players, KK wants attacking football, he's one player everyone knows is available, if he hasn't watched him since become NUFC boss then he wants a kick up the arse.

Requested a video of him? :lol:

How does "everyone" know he's available? I've got news for you: not everyone frequents internet forums where people pretend to be experts about players from all over the world. 99% of Newcastle fans won't have ever heard his name.

Keegan's been in the job a week and he's supposed to know enough to be prepared to spunk £10m or whatever on a Russian based on nowt but a video and the Sky Sports website bullshit mill?

Seriously, has everyone on this forum lost their mind?

Wow more than one line in a post from Wullie, have an aspirin and lie down it must of hurt.  :lol:

The lad himself has said he wants to 'move to England' so that's the player covered.

His chairman has said he wants him to stay but cannot stop him and have actually 'handed over power of attorney so that we can let an English agency do the serious negotiations'

These are actual quotes not shit made up btw, so the player is available, so get off your fuking high horse.

I too am disappointed KK's not spent £10m on a Russian bloke he's probably never seen play.

Was just an example, but tbh, if he hasn't seen him play then he has no business in managing a premiership football club.

I'm sure he knows who he is, he just doesn't want to take a chance, i think we should, it can't harm us much.

We need attacking players, KK wants attacking football, he's one player everyone knows is available, if he hasn't watched him since become NUFC boss then he wants a kick up the arse.

How does "everyone" know he's available? I've got news for you: not everyone frequents internet forums where people pretend to be experts about players from all over the world. 99% of Newcastle fans won't have ever heard his name.

Keegan's been in the job a week and he's supposed to know enough to be prepared to spunk £10m or whatever on a Russian based on nowt but a video and the Sky Sports website bullshit mill?

Wow more than one line in a post from Wullie, have an aspirin and lie down it must of hurt.  :lol:

The lad himself has said he wants to 'move to England' so that's the player covered.

His chairman has said he wants him to stay but cannot stop him and have actually 'handed over power of attorney so that we can let an English agency do the serious negotiations'

These are actual quotes not s*** made up btw, so the player is available, so get off your fuking high horse.

maybe KK knows more about him than we think as no fucker else seems eager to take him on ?

These are actual quotes not s*** made up btw, so the player is available, so get off your fuking high horse.

maybe KK knows more about him than we think as no fucker else seems eager to take him on ?

No denying that's a strong possibility, but he was one player used as an example, nothing more than that, i can only go on what i know, not pulling random names out of a hat.

To say there are no players out there that are right for this club is silly, we've just played it far too safe.

These are actual quotes not shit made up btw, so the player is available, so get off your fuking high horse.

One line? What on Earth are you gibbering about now?

So KK should sign him because he's available? Glad we've cleared that up. Maybe we should get Luque back for another £10m, he's probably available too.

Rushing out and signing a player for £10 million after watching a video of them in a sub standard league is panic buying.

Keegan's in no rush to get players in and I'd rather he waited to get the players in he wants instead of panic buying for the sake of it, I can't see us getting Europe or relegated so he might as well wait and get in who he wants as far as I'm concerned.

For example if he wants SWP and he thinks he can get him in the Summer, wouldn't it make more sense to stick with Milner until then instead of spending big money on bringing someone else in?

So KK should sign him because he's available? Glad we've cleared that up. Maybe we should get Luque back for another £10m, he's probably available too.

Yes that's exactly what i said.  :rolleyes:

There are plenty of players out there, like i said before we've played it too safe and ended up with nothing. I think something is better than nothing, stop gaps, loans, right now we need all the help we can get. You don't have to buy a player for life either, they can be moved on when they've done their required job. We've got the money to take a chance, we should of done that this window.

I personally now hope the Barnes deal has more substance than usual, if we manage to bring him in i'd be delighted, another player with talent and available at the right price.

That's assuming KK has seen the player play and rates him of course.  :razz:

Its always difficult to get good players in during the January window.  Some teams will simply refuse to sell and others will ask for twice or more what a player is worth.  There's no way I want us paying £20 million for Bentley or something equally stupid.  The real test will be in the summer, I've got no doubt Keegan has been offered big money but that still doesn't mean we can expect something similar to Chelsea this coming summer.  They were a top 6 team when Abramovich came in (didn't they actually finish 4th the season before?).  They had money and the pull of a high finish in the league and European Football.

IMO Keegan will have £40-£50 million to spend this summer, but he'll want the right players, not just anyone.

Yes that's exactly what i said.  :rolleyes:

There are plenty of players out there, like i said before we've played it too safe and ended up with nothing. I think something is better than nothing, stop gaps, loans, right now we need all the help we can get. You don't have to buy a player for life either, they can be moved on when they've done their required job. We've got the money to take a chance, we should of done that this window.

I personally now hope the Barnes deal has more substance than usual, if we manage to bring him in i'd be delighted, another player with talent and available at the right price.

That's assuming KK has seen the player play and rates him of course.  :razz:

and assuming the barnes story and price are true  and not just the usual tabloidish tattle

Something is not necessarily better than nothing. You'd think all NUFC fans would have learned that after all the duds we've signed over the years who've ended up on massive contracts doing jack shit.

Not putting anything past the toon the board are going to be out of excuses come the summer.

Sky money comming in = instant cash

got the manager in they want

will have most if not all the backroom staff in they want

the manager, scouts and staff will have had nearly half a season to look at the squad see who they want out and see who they like out there.

Summer is a bigger window more players moving.

if the board dont put in 30-50m into the pot for transfers then we need to seriously worry when will the board will ever put hard cash into squad development.

using this as some simple logic i cannot see how we will not have some heavy summer spending.

Something is not necessarily better than nothing. You'd think fans would have learned that after all the duds we've signed over the years who've ended up on massive contracts doing jack shit.

When you've got fuk all its worth taking a reasonable risk on someone, Barnes, Arshivan is a reasonable risk imo.

Most of those duds have come as very good palyers who've done well in the league and look how that turned out.

Not putting anything past the toon the board are going to be out of excuses come the summer.

Sky money comming in = instant cash

got the manager in they want

will have most if not all the backroom staff in they want

the manager, scouts and staff will have had nearly half a season to look at the squad see who they want out and see who they like out there.

Summer is a bigger window more players moving.

if the board dont put in 30-50m into the pot for transfers then we need to seriously worry when will the board will ever put hard cash into squad development.

using this as some simple logic i cannot see how we will not have some heavy summer spending.

exactly how i sees it

IMO, it shouldn't be our most ambitious summer yet.  Money does need to be spent, but I'd rather we spent closer to £30m-£40m bracket than attempt a £60m+ spending spree simply because its Keegan and Ashley's money.  That should come when we achieve a European finish, and have justification to splash cash to make that "extra push".  Right now we need to get rid of some of the donkeys, and replace them with more consistent Premier League players.  We need people in who don't get as injured as much our current crop, and ones that can contribute more to the game then just one thing.

I don't think its going to be easy attracting the calibre of players some people want on here.  We all want the players to get us in to top 6 finish, but truth is Everton, Spurs, Blackburn, Man City, Aston Villa, Portsmouth and West Ham all have a fair bit to spend and will no doubt rival us to any quality players.  Plus with no European football for next season (given our current form and position) it's likely the clubs I mentioned will have better pulling power than us, unless we go for the "let's offer them £90k a week" approach, which is dangerous and not getting the players here with the right attitude and mindset.

If I'm harsh, I'm hoping these players leave...

Viduka - Sadly, a bit of a waste of time and big disappointment.  Great ability, but no umph to use it and contribute more to the game when off the ball.  Injured a lot.

Ameobi - Not good enough.

Smith - Awful midfielder, not good enough as a striker.  Don't know how I believed this guy was good for us when he signed.

Barton - Dickhead, will fuck up again.  Probably going to end up inside with these two court cases against him anyway.

Carr - Slow and not good enough.

With these gone, I'd feel we would need to bring in a left back, a right back, a centre back, two attacking centre midfielders and two strikers.  That's 7 players, which will be costly.  I'd like us to get these, as I feel there is a realistic chance we can get them all and it won't break the bank on transfer fee's and wages on all of them.

Nicky Shorey - Very good left back.

Pascal Chimbonda - Very good at getting forward.

Ben Haim - Him and Taylor would be solid.

Giles Barnes - Youth in centre of park, hopefully someone who can score goals and develop well here.

Sebastian Larsson - Someone who can create something who has Premier league experience and someone we could get.

Dave Kitson - Can score goals and would offer more threat than Smith or Ameobi and more games than Owen or Viduka.

Diouf - Rough people up and score goals.

This could offer a possible line ups from...

Given/Harper

Chimbonda/Beye  Ben Haim/Faye  Taylor/Cacapa  Shorey/Enrique

Milner/Larrson  Barnes/Emre  Butt/Geremi  Duff/N'Zogbia

Owen/Martins  Diouf/Kitson

Perhaps I'm selling us short and there are bigger names and better players we should aim for.  But I fear if we gamble on players without Premier League experience (like Rozenahl, Cacapa) we may find they all need a season to "adjust" when we really need to be moving up the league now, even if its only to 8th or 9th in the league.  We should be aiming for Europe in the 09/10 season, if we are realistic and sensible.

Bah... just my opinions.  Sure many will disagree like.

Something is not necessarily better than nothing. You'd think fans would have learned that after all the duds we've signed over the years who've ended up on massive contracts doing jack shit.

When you've got fuk all its worth taking a reasonable risk on someone, Barnes, Arshivan is a reasonable risk imo.

Most of those duds have come as very good palyers who've done well in the league and look how that turned out.

How is Arshavin or whatever his name is a "reasonable risk", can you explain that to me? Short of you being a *insert name of whoever the hell he plays for here* season ticket holder on the sly or at least having some sort of subscription to The Ruski Channel, I fail to see how you could possibly know that.

Ben Haim and Taylor as a CB pairing? Would rather have Faye and Van Buyten tbh.

"Diouf - Rough people up"

:lol:

Hey we've lacked someone roughing people up since Shearer hanged up his boots. lol...

Smith doesn't do that, he just slides in and misses...

Ben Haim and Taylor as a CB pairing? Would rather have Faye and Van Buyten tbh.

"Diouf - Rough people up"

:lol:

I'd love Van Buyten too, but would he come here? He's at Bayern!  He may want to stay, perhaps Klinsmann will want to keep him.  As much as I'd like to see Van Buyten here, I think were just going to be a club that bids for him to encourage clubs in a better position to snatch him from under our noses.  I think Ben Haim is someone we can get, and we have a knack of getting Chelsea players at sensible prices.

Something is not necessarily better than nothing. You'd think fans would have learned that after all the duds we've signed over the years who've ended up on massive contracts doing jack s***.

As Baggio said, if we think we can get better players in the summer it just doesn't make sense to buy players as stop gaps, especially if they're costing millions.

Ashley may be willing to spend money, but the more of his money that KK wastes then the less of it he'll see in future I would imagine. He's a businessman at the end of the day, can't see him taking kindly to Keegan saying "I know we've spent 6m on a winger 6 months ago, but I reckon this other guy is even better so we don't need him anymore."

Entirely likely that this January's budget is tied in with the summer budget also, so if Keegan can't get the players he really wants for the long-term now then why reduce his spending power for the summer?

How is Arshavin or whatever his name is a "reasonable risk", can you explain that to me? Short of you being a *insert name of whoever the hell he plays for here* season ticket holder on the sly or at least having some sort of subscription to The Ruski Channel, I fail to see how you could possibly know that.

Done well in Europe (nearly one in two in the Eufa cup) and NT level and has interested a lot of top clubs in Europe, some a lot bigger than ourselves, that's how its a reasonable risk. Every player is a risk FFS, surely a one with obvious talent isn't so much of one?

So you need to attend 50 games to have an opinion on a player?  :rolleyes:

I'm not getting my hopes up, could very well be the same old thing, a mid table club with no European football trying to sign players that won't even look at us.

always a bad example to use as it is totally different club to club but Man city are a perfect example of where I want us to go in the summer they too had little to offer any "big players" out of the capital not in europe ropey couple of seasons under old management. However still managed to get some great players in and I for one can say now i knew fuck all about then when they first arrived may be much down to svens much better contacts but I have some small hope thats how the board want to do it here. The worst case we go out there looking to spend 30+ on one player and rely on him to carry the squad 3-5 additions would do me nicely with carr, shola and viduka moving on possibly even Owen if he still has ichy feet.