Newcastle after Lubos Kalouda?

Kasper

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_3097715,00.html

failed in todays bid

sorry if already posted

fookin hell leave it till the last minute and its too late then more than likely loose him in the summer  O0 well done mort .

sorry getting angry now s*** timing

I totally agree willow, why couldnt we have struck up a deal last week or earlier for this player, same with Giles Barnes, and Alvaro, what is an extra couple of million to a billionaire?

fair enough he might have put £250m into the debts and the club but if he wants success he must know that we need players

I'm inclined to doubt that he became a billionaire by throwing the odd million here and there at random things that he may not have needed.

TBH I reckon if we actually wanted this lad and have made a botch of it in the way it would seem we have then I'm not overly impressed with Mort and Co. either.

I just really can't stand the "Ah sure we're loaded, may as well throw it around for the laugh" attitude that some people seem to be adopting.

what like buying a football club for £250m?

if the management team wanted the lad then they should've been backed and we should've paid more, the price was lower than most would've expected anyway. if we're being stingy over one or two million here and there, to the extent that we'll go a whole window buying no-one and missing out on 3 or 4 targets, then it suggests reports of us having a big fund stashed away are as mythical as el dorado.

The summer is when it'll all click into place I have no doubts about that. I'd sooner stick with what we have than sign the likes of Alvaro for £1.5m, will play half a dozen games if he's lucky, then end up being loaned back out to a Spanish club or whatever.

Please don't jinx it.

The last time I heard a statement to this effect was when somebody said during halftime at old trafford "looks like it could end a scoreless draw if we're lucky"

failed in todays bid

sorry if already posted

fookin hell leave it till the last minute and its too late then more than likely loose him in the summer  O0 well done mort .

I totally agree willow, why couldnt we have struck up a deal last week or earlier for this player, same with Giles Barnes, and Alvaro, what is an extra couple of million to a billionaire?

fair enough he might have put £250m into the debts and the club but if he wants success he must know that we need players

I'm inclined to doubt that he became a billionaire by throwing the odd million here and there at random things that he may not have needed.

TBH I reckon if we actually wanted this lad and have made a botch of it in the way it would seem we have then I'm not overly impressed with Mort and Co. either.

I just really can't stand the "Ah sure we're loaded, may as well throw it around for the laugh" attitude that some people seem to be adopting.

if the management team wanted the lad then they should've been backed and we should've paid more, the price was lower than most would've expected anyway. if we're being stingy over one or two million here and there, to the extent that we'll go a whole window buying no-one and missing out on 3 or 4 targets, then it suggests reports of us having a big fund stashed away are as mythical as el dorado.

Quite obviously the same thing, yeah. :thup:

failed in todays bid

sorry if already posted

not the best of arguments.

ashley got rich by scrimping and saving, cutting back on all costs, piling budget crap high and selling it at markups. if he takes that approach with newcastle we're heading for perennial mid-tablers, or worse. btw i'm not saying that is the approach he will take as NUFC is a lifestyle choice for him not simply a business investment. tho he shouldnt think he can sit back and relax after paying £100m paying off debt as to be successful a club has to speculate on players and infastructure rather than rest on laurels. owing nothing to banks means little if the money saved isnt then plowed back into the club and translates into increased success.

but regardless, we had an opportunity to get barnes at what most would agree is a pretty bargain price, only had to offer one or two million more. we couldn't even bring that to the negotiating table, not exactly a good sign. and if the management team wanted the lad, then it is hardly "throwing the odd million here and there at random things he may not have needed". it's called backing the manager. the Kalouda deal might be down to Wise et al coming in late in the window which i will charitably put down to teething issues, but it is something they need to get sorted as similar (or one of the above) appeared to happen with the Woodgate deal too.

if your in the business to make a profit then you would try to buy players for as little as possible... if you were in it for the ride and the glory then i think that paying a little bit for to meet demand is something the owner would do, so i suppose it depends what the owner wants in the long term

Guest mobiius

if your in the business to make a profit then you would try to buy players for as little as possible... if you were in it for the ride and the glory then i think that paying a little bit for to meet demand is something the owner would do, so i suppose it depends what the owner wants in the long term

:clap: :clap:

Well said and makes a lot of sense.

failed in todays bid

sorry if already posted

ashley got rich by scrimping and saving, cutting back on all costs, piling budget crap high and selling it at markups. if he takes that approach with newcastle we're heading for perennial mid-tablers, or worse. btw i'm not saying that is the approach he will take as NUFC is a lifestyle choice for him not simply a business investment. tho he shouldnt think he can sit back and relax after paying £100m paying off debt as to be successful a club has to speculate on players and infastructure rather than rest on laurels. owing nothing to banks means little if the money saved isnt then plowed back into the club and translates into increased success.

but regardless, we had an opportunity to get barnes at what most would agree is a pretty bargain price, only had to offer one or two million more. we couldn't even bring that to the negotiating table, not exactly a good sign. and if the management team wanted the lad, then it is hardly "throwing the odd million here and there at random things he may not have needed". it's called backing the manager. the Kalouda deal might be down to Wise et al coming in late in the window which i will charitably put down to teething issues, but it is something they need to get sorted as similar (or one of the above) appeared to happen with the Woodgate deal too.

Accurate observations as usual from jpd.

I would add that with the larger spends (and bigger budgets) at a dozen or so PL clubs, speculation or slow deterioration of the playing staff will soon start becoming obvious to all.

failed in todays bid

sorry if already posted

errr. no he didnt

that was his most visible outlet (sports world) others "karrimor","lillywhites" etc didnt pile it high ,sell it cheap. not to mention what he has made stock trading ie adidas,umbro and theres another recent one whos shares he sold months ago (at a profit) and has again went back and bought into again.

failed in todays bid

sorry if already posted

errr. no he didnt

that was his most visible outlet (sports world) others "karrimor","lillywhites" etc didnt pile it high ,sell it cheap. not to mention what he has made stock trading ie adidas,umbro and theres another recent one whos shares he sold months ago (at a profit) and has again went back and bought into again.

so what you really mean is that he did, only he also owned other brands. and i didnt say pile it high sell it cheap, i said pile it high sell it at a markup which is what his stores do. they buy the premium brands (nike, adidas etc) in bulk and can sell those cheap but his own brands is where he makes his money.

failed in todays bid

sorry if already posted

errr. no he didnt

so what you really mean is that he did, only he also owned other brands. and i didnt say pile it high sell it cheap, i said pile it high sell it at a markup which is what his stores do. they buy the premium brands (nike, adidas etc) in bulk and can sell those cheap but his own brands is where he makes his money.

of course thats what i mean. as part of his portfolio, and where he started out he had the lower end of the market before expanding to other parts of the market.

Guest MaetihS

I doubt that it will be a different story in the summer. Most likely scenario is that there will be a few signings but not much difference in quality than in Jan. In fact, we should be better off signing players in Jan as competition will be less and even players like Kalouda will be hard to sign in the summer amid more clubs in the running. One thing is for sure we no longer holds the pulling power and probably drop behind the likes of Villa and Spurs. A lot will depend on our final position this season and as it stands, we will be lucky to get a top 12 position. People who think that we will spend big and sign the likes of Diego or even Arashavin must get a reality check; yes we probably has the spending power but there are at least half a dozen clubs around Europe that will be interested in such players. Frankly, i can see us signing players in the summer cos we must due to lack of numbers and quality but doubt these names will be household big names and likely to be "rejects" from bigger clubs similar to players like Smith and Geremi. The only bright light is that we can sign an unknown player but turns out to be quality aka Arsenal's system as it seems Mort is implementing a wider scouting system in the employment of Wise and Co. Not a very good time for us.....sorry my envy, hope Boro's Alves turn out to be a flop (unlikely as afterall, he is a Brazilian international but we can hope he is another Veron).

• 3 weeks later...

Chelsea have joined the hunt for Czech Republic starlet Lubos Kalouda, who has received an offer from CSKA Moscow.

Kalouda was wanted by Newcastle United during the January transfer window, but the Magpies were unable to conclude a deal with his club FC Brno.

Juventus also tried to sign the 20-year-old, with the midfielder perceived as a long-term replacement for compatriot Pavel Nedved at Stadio Delle Alpi.

However, interest in the youngster has increased, with Chelsea sending a scout to watch Kalouda in Brno's defeat at Plzen at the weekend.

The Blues may have to move quickly, though, after Brno's majority shareholder Roman Pros confirmed CSKA have lodged a bid.

Plenty of time

Pros told CTK: "The Russian club have forwarded us their offer, we have told them our demands.

"In football terminology, the ball is on CSKA's side of the pitch.

"Considering that the transfer market in Russia closes on March 7, there is theoretically plenty of time for negotiations."

Kalouda, who was called up to the Czech Republic squad for the first time for the recent friendly with Poland, is trying to put the interest of other clubs to the back of his mind.

"I had some news, but try to keep it out of my mind," said Kalouda in reference to the scouts who have been watching him.

"Already in the autumn, representatives of various clubs travelled to Brno and I coped with it well then, so I have to put up with it now as well. I will not say more."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3168180,00.html

Guest jcricthon

On the plus side, it does look as if the new scouting network is identifying decent targets if Chelsea are now sniffing round.

I fuckin hate that s**** club without a history more than anything else...

I'm not their biggest fan either but every club has to start somewhere. Its an extremely petty thing to say when I'm guessing the real reason you dislike them is because they have built a great team and won titles in a short space of time in accordance with the new commercial whore of a league we currently reside in (and will soon win).

• 4 weeks later...

Roublemaker:

Toon target czechs out

It's reported that Czech midfielder Lubos Kalouda has agreed to move from FC Brno in his native land to CSKA Moscow for a transfer fee equating to around £3.8m.

Newcastle had attempted to seal a deal for the 20 year -old prospect before the end of the January transfer window, but like fellow suitors Juventus and Chelsea were unable to reach agreement at that time.

Roublemaker:

Toon target czechs out

It's reported that Czech midfielder Lubos Kalouda has agreed to move from FC Brno in his native land to CSKA Moscow for a transfer fee equating to around £3.8m.

Newcastle had attempted to seal a deal for the 20 year -old prospect before the end of the January transfer window, but like fellow suitors Juventus and Chelsea were unable to reach agreement at that time.

Oh, well...