Shearer turns us down

Guest Erich von Manstein

Guest Erich von Manstein

Again.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=511852&in_page_id=1779&ct=5

Kevin Keegan suffered another massive setback when Alan Shearer turned down the chance to join him at Newcastle.

Keegan told Shearer he could tailor his own role on Tyneside, but the former Newcastle striker is so concerned by the lack of stability that he has decided against any involvement.

Shearer was told he could be first-team coach, reserve coach or striker coach during talks with Keegan and he spent the week mulling over his options.

Despite Keegan's return to Tyneside as manager, the revolution has yet to gather pace and Shearer fears that the club are heading for more turmoil.

Sportsmail revealed on Thursday that Dennis Wise held talks with Keegan over their respective roles at the club, but the lines of demarcation remain blurred.

However, Wise has made it clear he will be making decisions on the backroom staff.

The former Leeds boss, who took up his role as executive director last Wednesday, will begin his new job with a complete overhaul of the academy.

Wise wants to make the highly-rated Paul Hart, who is academy director at Portsmouth, his first major signing at Newcastle.

Hart has a brilliant reputation in the game after his work at Nottingham Forest and Leeds.

Wise will make an approach to Pompey this week and Hart is expected to be interviewed for the job before next weekend.

"The owner not only wants to bring the best players here, he wants the best young players as well," Wise said.

"He wants to get them from wherever he can. He wants it to grow. That's what he feels is the right way to go.

"It's something we need to build and take on. We need to get as much young talent as possible at this football club."

Keegan admitted Newcastle may have to buy in their young talent.

He said: "I don't think there's any doubt they haven't covered the youth policy here well and it's not the fault of the people in the academy. It's just the policy they have had under the previous regime.

"Everybody knows that much as you dislike paying money for kids, that's what happens at virtually every other club."

While Wise will decide on the backroom staff and the academy, he has assured Keegan he will not interfere with first-team affairs.

"I'm not here to be involved in the first team," Wise said.

"I'm not here to manage. I'm here to help Kevin as much as possible with bringing young players through and also recommending certain players to him.

"He will say Yes or No, He has the final word, no one else. I'm not going to do things like bring players in behind his back. I'm not into that."

Again.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=511852&in_page_id=1779&ct=5

Kevin Keegan suffered another massive setback when Alan Shearer turned down the chance to join him at Newcastle.

Keegan told Shearer he could tailor his own role on Tyneside, but the former Newcastle striker is so concerned by the lack of stability that he has decided against any involvement.

Shearer was told he could be first-team coach, reserve coach or striker coach during talks with Keegan and he spent the week mulling over his options.

Despite Keegan's return to Tyneside as manager, the revolution has yet to gather pace and Shearer fears that the club are heading for more turmoil.

Sportsmail revealed on Thursday that Dennis Wise held talks with Keegan over their respective roles at the club, but the lines of demarcation remain blurred.

However, Wise has made it clear he will be making decisions on the backroom staff.

The former Leeds boss, who took up his role as executive director last Wednesday, will begin his new job with a complete overhaul of the academy.

Wise wants to make the highly-rated Paul Hart, who is academy director at Portsmouth, his first major signing at Newcastle.

Hart has a brilliant reputation in the game after his work at Nottingham Forest and Leeds.

Wise will make an approach to Pompey this week and Hart is expected to be interviewed for the job before next weekend.

"The owner not only wants to bring the best players here, he wants the best young players as well," Wise said.

"He wants to get them from wherever he can. He wants it to grow. That's what he feels is the right way to go.

"It's something we need to build and take on. We need to get as much young talent as possible at this football club."

Keegan admitted Newcastle may have to buy in their young talent.

He said: "I don't think there's any doubt they haven't covered the youth policy here well and it's not the fault of the people in the academy. It's just the policy they have had under the previous regime.

"Everybody knows that much as you dislike paying money for kids, that's what happens at virtually every other club."

While Wise will decide on the backroom staff and the academy, he has assured Keegan he will not interfere with first-team affairs.

"I'm not here to be involved in the first team," Wise said.

"I'm not here to manage. I'm here to help Kevin as much as possible with bringing young players through and also recommending certain players to him.

"He will say Yes or No, He has the final word, no one else. I'm not going to do things like bring players in behind his back. I'm not into that."

I am sure he said that.... :rolleyes:

Cunts.

Good IMO.  And more quality journalism

On top of which other massive setbacks?

Based on what exactly?  No quotes or sources mentioned.

It's as if they made this stuff up  :banghead:

That's a bit harsh like, Shearer hasn't done anything wrong. The only thing that has happened is that the papers have constantly brought his name up over and over again.

It's not a problem if you can learn to ignore the papers. After all, most of them are full of shit anyway.

Whilst Shepherd was Chairman, Shearer knew that he only had to say the word and he would be the manager.  Now with the new ownership and Chris Mort saying that he would have to get experience first, suddenly he has a dilemma about what his next move should be.  I can imagine him being somewhat peeved that it isn't going to be as straightforward as before to become our manager.

Don't imagine KK is that bothered either.

That's a bit harsh like, Shearer hasn't done anything wrong. The only thing that has happened is that the papers have constantly brought his name up over and over again.

It's not a problem if you can learn to ignore the papers. After all, most of them are full of shit anyway.

He hasn't done a lot wrong, but he could have done a hell of a lot more. He could have bust a gut making it clear he'd love to be no 2 effectively being the next boss of Newcastle. Or alternatively he could say he doesn't want the job yet as he's happy at the beeb.

Shearer was NEVER EVER going to come in under any manager.

Ashley should now make it known that he'll never manage NUFC as long as he has control.

Rid the Club of the monkey on its back.

I agree with the first sentence, agree with the last, it's the middle one causing me the problem.  Instead of saying Shearer will never be manager while I am in control, maybe for Ashley/Mort to say that KK is the manager now and any subsequent appointment will go to a candidate who has proven managerial credentials? 

Same message but leaving the door open if Shearer wants to prove himself elsewhere first.

Shearer was NEVER EVER going to come in under any manager.

Ashley should now make it known that he'll never manage NUFC as long as he has control.

Rid the Club of the monkey on its back.

I agree with the first sentence, agree with the last, it's the middle one causing me the problem.  Instead of saying Shearer will never be manager while I am in control, maybe for Ashley/Mort to say that KK is the manager now and any subsequent appointment will go to a candidate who has proven managerial credentials? 

Same message but leaving the door open if Shearer wants to prove himself elsewhere first.

The club has got to stop bending over backwards to suit the career aspirations of one man. This has totally fucked us up for the last four years.

When Keegan goes, we appoint the best available candidate. Nothing more needs to be said. In fact, not even that.

Thew most important part of that article is hidden behind Alan Shearer:

Paul Hart to be interviewed regarding an academy role.

Would be a brilliant signing.

Got absolutly no idea who´s that is. But who cares? If they say his good I buy it!

Bring him in=D

Got absolutly no idea who´s that is. But who cares? If they say his good I buy it!

Bring him in=D

He is Academy Director at Portsmouth, didn't do that well when he went into management but has a brilliant reputation and has brought through a number of players in his time in charge of the academies of Leeds and Nottingham Forest such as Paul Robinson, Jonathan Woodgate, Alan Smith, Harry Kewell, Jermaine Jenas, David Prutton, Michael Dawson and Andy Reid.

Thank God! I really cant understand why KK wanted Shearer for a coaching role, it would inevietably turn into an awkward situation, the speculation of 'Shearer waiting in the wings to take Keegans job', imagine if we start to do badly, the spot light would turn onto Shearer about stepping up to manager, imagine some fans chanting "Shearer" if we are doing badly, with KK standing on the touch-line...

Its just too desperate trying to get Shearer in, whatever the role, if he comes back then its as manager coming back from the outside. That could have possibly been this season, but it wasnt, end of story, move on.

Bring him in=D

He is Academy Director at Portsmouth, didn't do that well when he went into management but has a brilliant reputation and has brought through a number of players in his time in charge of the academies of Leeds and Nottingham Forest.

He was phenominal at Forest in particular, literally one after another, Jenas was one of them.  Promoted him to manager, was less than successful and they sacked him instead of giving him his old job back.  Forest have never been the same since.