Newcastle 1 - 1 Middlesbrough - 03/02/08 - Post match reaction from page 15

James

Guest neesy111

shay should of been telling his defence to push forward but he never communicate's with his defence

also their is NO leader on the pitch at all, Owen captain lmfao to try and organise us

Guest optimistic nit

Not sure what all the maoning is about but that's the usual thing on this forum. It's going to take time to turn around the shite started by Souness and finished off by Allardyce. The players are clearly very, very low on belief and self confidence, this is not something you can bring back at the flick of a switch and it's a very, very fine line at this standard between winning and losing the type of game we saw today.

Positives for me :

Duff is improving game by game. Not long ago many on here were stupidly writing him off.... mackems.gif

Smith will do a decent job up front once we do get that confidence and start to create chances. He's not the long term answer but there are other areas to work on first.

Owen is looking sharper and is going to get better as he plays more games. From some injuries it can take upto a full season to really get back upto 100%. His goal today was superb.

Carr isn't doing too badly even though he obviously shouldn't and isn't going to be first choice RB. This is incredible if you believe the shite some people post on here about him.

Cacapa. I can see him being superb by the start of next season as he adjusts to this league.

Seriously HTL, Cacapa has to be replaced if we want to improve. Yes he had a good game today but all too often he is bullied out of challenges and is turned way too easily, plus at his age he is only going to decline.

Campbell is how old now? How many wanted us to sign him in jan? cacapa captained lyon for 6 years, and despite a couple of shaky moments has looked quality for us when i have seen him. its wrong to say he needs to be sold if we are to improve when you look at the shit that he's playing with. replace the central midfield, sign a quality striker to compete with owen, martins and viduka (maybe sell one of them) and give ourselves a good squad of 25 players cacapa will not look out of place in that team. then when we have that we can replace cacapa. he's got one of the best pedigree's that the club has, and whether or not he has a few weaknesses he has enough positives to warrent a place in our cesspool and in a top 6 team. incidently cacapa's weaknesses are faye's stregnths, and those two have hardly played together so far, i think that will be a really good partnership.

Speaking of counters, I wonder when the last time we scored from a counter attack was, a proper counter attack, breaking from a corner or a free kick. Teams always look likely to do it against us.

When was our Premier League last goal that didnt come from a free kick/ own goal or random fluke?

Viduka v Derby. December 23rd. Bloody hell.

Speaking of counters, I wonder when the last time we scored from a counter attack was, a proper counter attack, breaking from a corner or a free kick. Teams always look likely to do it against us.

Duff's vs. Stoke?

Aye good point, wonder when last in the league. Pretty ironic considering we only had ten men in that game.

Chelsea scored a fantastic goal yesterday, front to back in about 15 seconds.

Guest neesy111

No pace = no counter attack goals

thts why charlie is needed CM and Martins upfront they both add something different

Guest neesy111

No pace = no counter attack goals

It's also hard to counter attack when you can barely pass the ball.. let alone with speed.

yeah and having defenders and goalkeepers keep on doing the long ball game

Typical Keegan always attacking. Why can't Newcastle ever defend a lead against a schitty side like Boro?

What a load of nonsense.

If anything, we didn't attack enough. We should have went on for number two after Owen's first.

We did, unfortunately the chance fell to Barton!

Guest neesy111

Typical Keegan always attacking. Why can't Newcastle ever defend a lead against a schitty side like Boro?

What a load of nonsense.

If anything, we didn't attack enough. We should have went on for number two after Owen's first.

and owen, and people say he takes his chances lol

Guest float one in

Cacapa was class today I thought.

The Tino Apsrilla of defending! Seems to have the same mental limb movements and a similar loping dribbling style. Thought he played well today as well, saved a certain goal with a last ditch tackle, when there were 3 unmarked Boro players at the back stick (something somewhere wasn't right, but not sure who was to blame). 

Guest rebel_yell12

Martins has 7 goals this season.  Viduka and Owen both have 5.  Are the strikers sh*** or is there a problem in the midfield?  

One might note though, that if you include the goals Owen has had incorrectly disallowed, he has as at least as many goals as Martins ( I can think of two EPL goals he's had disallowed wrongly just off the top of my head -- v. ManUtd and today).

I can't believe people are slagging off Owen.  He put three into the back of the net today, and in fairness should have had a brace.  One with his foot, one with his head.  Also, this is his longest run of fitness for Newcastle.  These could all be good signs, and yet if he were to read this board, Owen would think he might as well have stayed at home today!  The problem is NOT with Michael Owen.  He did his job today, he scored goals.  Sort out those players who didn't do their jobs before slagging off the ones who did.  

It seems like it's just easy and popular to have a pop at Owen, who is expensive, has been injury-plagued at Newcastle, and who has been taking a beating in the press lately (bandwagon much?).  Do you think Martins would have done better this past month?  Honestly?  He certainly wasn't in December.  That said, I'd like to see Martins and Owen playing together.  We've seen all the other partnerships, and they don't seem to work.  

What a load of nonsense.

and owen, and people say he takes his chances lol

Stop slagging Owen, he's just coming back from injury, he is and will continue to improve. If the rest of the team start creating chances there aren't many players I'd put in front of Owen to hit the onion bag.

When was our Premier League last goal that didnt come from a free kick/ own goal or random fluke?

Viduka v Derby. December 23rd. Bloody hell.

43% of Aston Villa's goals this season have come from set pieces. I don't care how we score as long as we do.

I'm a Cacapa fan, but I bet a lot of the praise for him today will be partially down to his clearance when Given parried Wheater's shot. Not realising it was Cacapa's fault Wheater got the shot in to start with.

Gary O'Neill completely raped him at one point, he's not exactly Ronaldo, is he?

I'm a Cacapa fan, but I bet a lot of the praise for him today will be partially down to his clearance when Given parried Wheater's shot. Not realising it was Cacapa's fault Wheater got the shot in to start with.

With fans like you.....

Guest mobiius

No, Martins actually has the exact same problem because he doesn't have the footballing brain to pick out spots to run into. Can't finish either, but he's ridiculously agile and has a f*** hard shot, so he gets random goals sometimes.

They're both horribly frustrating players.

Agreed, Owen is frustrating but you know he will pop up with a goal. You don't have that confidence in Martins. I think we need 2 new strikers.

Precisely the opposite, imo. When Owen has one game plan and he sticks to it. You know what to expect from him. When he's playing poorly, he probably won't get a lot of goals. Granted, he's still a pretty skilled player so I'm not writing him off completely.

Martins on the other hand, even if he's shit for 89 minutes, you never know when that speculative midrange screamer is going to hit the net (at WHL last year), or when he'll twist and turn impossibly in the box to get a body part on the ball (3rd goal at Bolton on opening day).

That's one of the reasons I'm looking forward to seeing him play under Keegan. I think Allardyce stifled him a lot with instructions not to shoot too much from outside the box etc. Even more than his pace Oba's greatest asset is his utter unpredictability. You never know where the goal's going to come from and even if he's not particularly prolific, that's absolutely horrifying for a defender to defend against.

i have no doubt that cautious sam stifled Oba i watched him when he played in italy.His game is all about what you say. i think that when KK see's him it will be like a new signing for us. i got banned for foolishly posting a link to youtube with him scoring a few goals when he played for Inter. He is a lot better than we have seen of him,of  that i have no doubt. I really can't believe people  already talking about or mentioning a relegation battle we need to get a fucking grip and sharpish. i think its a fucking liberty how other teams allow their players at least a season to get used to the prem, ours have a few bad ones and its get rid. I think Cacapa had a decent game and he is def worth a prolonged run in the team. Carr and Butt on the other hand have had ample time  and to me they have lost what they had so i would make them cover for Beye and Faye as i think KK will. I don,t think there is many that will bully Faye of the ball.

Guest TheKingOfNewcastle

In the modern day Permier League where the 'set piece' is king you can't afford to have a short-arse like Carr in your defence.

Huth preyed on a big weakness on out back four today for the equaliser.

In the modern day Permier League where the 'set piece' is king you can't afford to have a short-arse like Carr in your defence.

Been a long time since I have seen team with 2 pig-ugly, ogre-ish looking centre-halves. Fucking monsters they look

The same Huth who got outjumped by Michael Owen?

I thought we were alright today. A long way from where we want to be but we all know that don't we.

We deserved to win, genuinely positive attitude. The usual defensive flaws.

Gary O'Neill completely raped him at one point, he's not exactly Ronaldo, is he?

The guy Cacapa stopped then was offside by a few yards, another miss by the refs. Forgot about that til now