Newcastle 1 - 1 Middlesbrough - 03/02/08 - Post match reaction from page 15

James

We were poor today, the loss of the African lads is huge, out of shape completely, we didn't deserve to win.

You have to be joking, (not re: loss of Africans), if you call that poor relative to the dross we watched under Allardyce.

Course it was poor, the fact we tried passing it on the ground doesn't make it any better than under Allardyce.

Are you telling me that the attacking football we played never excited you in the least? The result might be poor, but the football, relative to what had gone before, was a vast improvement.

People going on about how good Boro were today?

If they had a striker they would be in the top half. They play the ball around well and are miles are ahead of us.

No Mido, no Alves, no Tuncay, no Boateng?!!!!!! and they did that too us?!!!!

With a light weight striker upfront alone.

Southgate messed up today. If they had come to play from the beginning they would have probably beat us.

Oh for f*** sake stop revelling in self pity.  As if Boro were the only team missing players, Beye, Faye, Martins, Enrique.  The fact is we won today but for a pathetic refereeing decision, it wasn't a great performance, but when are games against Boro great performances?  They actually think they're playing in a derby match remember.

I was surprised at how good Boro were. They put together some nice passing moves and looked dangerous on the counter.

Aside from not having a striker who can actually score goals, Boro really are a team superior to us in every aspect. (Well, maybe not Schwarzer. Worst goalie in the Premiership IMO)

Any one of Wheater, Huth, Rochemback, Arca, Downing would walk straight into our team.

Arca would have been a canny winter buy, actually.

Hold on, they're superior to us in every way because they have 5 players who would get into our team in your opinion?..  Don't you realise that means we have 6 players who would get into there team?  mackems.gif

Individually we're about at the same level but as a unit they funciton far better.

It's a silly point, but Pogatetz - Enrique, Gary O'Neil - Milner are debatable anyway so really only Given, Owen, Viduka/Martins, Beye would probably walk into their team. Not sure if they'd consider Beye a significant upgrade over Luke Young either.

That was a sh*te game until the last 20 where it got a little more exciting but truth be told it was two crap teams playing mediocre football.  How anyone can say that was a good performance is beyond belief. I'm truly amazed that folk think boro are good, defensively solid but they were as poor upfront as us, once again we have failed to beat a poor team at home, this is well relegation form. I'm away to thaw out,it was freezing up in the heavens!

Boro came into the game with the fairly easy tactic of closing us down fast whenever we had the ball.

When they had the ball, we just stood off and allowed them to pass it around. If we have employed the same tactic, we could have forced them into the same mistakes they forced us into. Sometimes I wonder why players on the pitch cant work this out for themselves.

We did do that very soon after we scored and you could see they were rattled a little bit. Sadly we didnt carry it on.,

Lost out on the physical side as well. Why Butt and Barton didnt put themselves about I just cant work out. Barton will twat anyone in a flash outside McDonalds yet on the pitch didnt seem to want to get stuck in.

Postive today - we scored and played some OK stuff. Downside - fragile confidence and very poor ball retention (Nicky Butt and Carr, I'm looking at you's two). We're still struggling big time to create chances and at the moment, it's hard to see where the next win is going to come from. It's very much going to be a limp towards the end of the season - I just hope it's enough for us to stay up. Massive rebuilding job needed in the summer - most definitely.

I was surprised at how good Boro were. They put together some nice passing moves and looked dangerous on the counter.

Aside from not having a striker who can actually score goals, Boro really are a team superior to us in every aspect. (Well, maybe not Schwarzer. Worst goalie in the Premiership IMO)

Any one of Wheater, Huth, Rochemback, Arca, Downing would walk straight into our team.

Arca would have been a canny winter buy, actually.

Hold on, they're superior to us in every way because they have 5 players who would get into our team in your opinion?..  Don't you realise that means we have 6 players who would get into there team?  mackems.gif

Individually we're about at the same level but as a unit they funciton far better.

It's a silly point, but Pogatetz - Enrique, Gary O'Neil - Milner are debatable anyway so really only Given, Owen, Viduka/Martins, Beye would probably walk into their team. Not sure if they'd consider Beye a significant upgrade over Luke Young either.

I agree more or less, I think overall we have the better players (I'd take about 4 of theres tops) but they're a better unit at the moment, which makes for two quite equal teams on the day.  I just thought it was funny when he said that they were superior in every department because they have five players who would get into our team :)

Postive today - we scored and played some OK stuff. Downside - fragile confidence and very poor ball retention (Nicky Butt and Carr, I'm looking at you's two). We're still struggling big time to create chances and at the moment, it's hard to see where the next win is going to come from. It's very much going to be a limp towards the end of the season - I just hope it's enough for us to stay up. Massive rebuilding job needed in the summer - most definitely.

Just like last season, and the one before it.

Reminds me of this restaurant in my neighborhood. They were getting a decent amount of customers but they just keeped renovating and chaning their menu every year trying to get better. They never did and their renovation costs ended up driving them to the ground.

Yup - point is though that inferior players have been drafted in, so we end up at the same place every summer. Mutton dressed as lamb, indeed.  :thdn:

We can only hope that Ashley holds good on his promise of providing KK with very substantial funds in the summer.

Boro came into the game with the fairly easy tactic of closing us down fast whenever we had the ball.

When they had the ball, we just stood off and allowed them to pass it around. If we have employed the same tactic, we could have forced them into the same mistakes they forced us into. Sometimes I wonder why players on the pitch cant work this out for themselves.

We did do that very soon after we scored and you could see they were rattled a little bit. Sadly we didnt carry it on.,

Lost out on the physical side as well. Why Butt and Barton didnt put themselves about I just cant work out. Barton will t*** anyone in a flash outside McDonalds yet on the pitch didnt seem to want to get stuck in.

Our team definitely has the lowest IQ in the whole freakin' league.

I was sat there wondering the exact same thing.

Brainless bunch of has beens.

Do people realise we have to change the whole team completely? Taylor, Zoggy and Enrique are the only real must keeps.

I wonder where all this negativity comes from. I mean it is just crazy when was the last time we saw all attacking instinct like this in our team. With the right referee and luck we could have won easily today.

Wow ... you are very easily pleased aren't you.

The big mystery to me is how, after all the money spent in recent years, we ended up with a team no better than relegation fodder.

As I said - players who are clearly mutton dressed as lamb. We are/have been seen as an easy pay day for very average players. This has to stop now because it's gone on for too long.

I wonder where all this negativity comes from. I mean it is just crazy when was the last time we saw all attacking instinct like this in our team. With the right referee and luck we could have won easily today.

I wonder where all the positivity comes from.  These misfits keep kicking us in the balls, and yet some people keep telling me they are almost ready to turn the corner.

As my grandfather used to say, you can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear.  Which I think is a nice way of saying you can't make a top 6 team out of dogshit fizzy pop players.

Guest Toongaboom

Given

Solano        Taylor      Beye          Enrique

Duff            Dyer        Faye          Zog

Bellamy      Owen       

The big mystery to me is how, after all the money spent in recent years, we ended up with a team no better than relegation fodder.

As I said - players who are clearly mutton dressed as lamb. We are/have been seen as an easy pay day for very average players. This has to stop now because it's gone on for too long.

Ever since Bobby left (in fact including his last year here) we've been singing players who have already peaked and are on the slide.

Carr

Cacapa

Duff

Butt

Viduka

Owen

Where all good players in their days. 4 or 5 years ago the team would've been brilliant.

Duff had a decent game for me. If we had more movement in the middle he would have caused real problems imo.

He did well, but was frustratingly slow. Couldn't catch them on the counter, as every time he got the ball, time stood still.

Guest Novocastrian

f****** awful game, deserved to lose.

Given was f****** no where for their goal, awful.

He was nowhere for the freekick and stood opened mouthed as it went back out off the post. Not to mention the two tame shots he parried out in front of Boro strikers. Mind you he did make a decent save.

Guest Brummiemag

Im disappointed some people are being so negative already. Ok it wasnt a good game , we are struggling to create chances but there are some positive signs, at times we looked ok going forward, there were some encouraging moves particularly down the left and they are trying to play the ball along the ground from the back. Early days and frustrating times, but already this is better than the dross I watched under Allardyce. 

Guest Slippery Sam

Poor game with two poor teams. How anyone can say boro are a good team, beats me!!! We made them look semi-decent.

With a bit more composure we could have scored at least another two after going 1 - 0 up.

The referee was a joke with some unfathomable decisions at times.

I thought that we had as many chances in this game as we've had during a league game at home all season.  We had a few poor performances, Butt being the worst, possibly followed by the ineffective Smith.  Given wasn't very good either, he didn't appear to move for the goal or the disallowed one, I'd play Harper ahead of him.

Worse than any of our players were the officials, they were as bad as I’ve seen this season, the first goal looked good and Boro could have been buried with a bit of luck, the goal scored by Duff looked at least as onside as the one Boro were given so it could have been 3-1.

I probably sound like a happy clapper, but that's the best game I've seen at SJP for.....some time, I'm not going to specify how long as someone will likely bring up a better one. A moral victory if not a literal one.