Keegan Interview Finished - Recap/Listen Again 1st Post

Greg

Can't be arsed with the stats again. :laugh:

Needless to say, he's been instrumental in their form as a team so far this year, starting most games. Can't see why they'd want to sell him at all.

While Hargreaves and Scholes have struggled with injury and Anderson has settled in, though. Obviously the former two could still struggle next season, but I certainly don't see him as being in ":idiot2:" territory, unlike some names mooted on here sometimes.

I think people just assume he's out of favour/fourth choice (for some reason) and that he'd drop it all to come here in an instant because he's a Geordie, which I disagree strongly with. As Yorkie points out too, he cost them £18.6m, and his stock hasn't exactly fallen, has it?

Scholes is still an excellent player but he's 33. I reckon Carrick is his replacement.

Anyway, never mind. :)

:nope:

Needless to say, he's been instrumental in their form as a team so far this year, starting most games. Can't see why they'd want to sell him at all.

While Hargreaves and Scholes have struggled with injury and Anderson has settled in, though. Obviously the former two could still struggle next season, but I certainly don't see him as being in ":idiot2:" territory, unlike some names mooted on here sometimes.

I think people just assume he's out of favour/fourth choice (for some reason) and that he'd drop it all to come here in an instant because he's a Geordie, which I disagree strongly with. As Yorkie points out too, he cost them £18.6m, and his stock hasn't exactly fallen, has it?

Scholes is still an excellent player but he's 33. I reckon Carrick is his replacement.

Aye, agree to disagree I suppose, especially on the Scholes bit - Anderson is surely the replacement there as Carrick plays an entirely different game to Scholes and operates much deeper, unlike the young Portuguese lad.

I just hope you're wrong and that he does end up here, seems to fit exactly what Keegan would want to bring into the club.

I knew as soon as I posted that people would assume I meant a direct replacement in style, as good as, all that shit. Can't win.

Facts are he cost a fucking bomb, and is starting regularly for a team that is playing brilliantly and at the summit of the league. That doesn't sound like someone we can get at this stage, to me.

That's probably Anderson, tbf. Nani/Giggs and Anderson/Scholes. Being picky though. :D

I doubt anyone would even be talking about Carrick as a possibility if it wasn't for the fact that he's a Geordie.

Winner!

I was expecting a "blueyes.gif" from you in response to this. I suppose that will be close enough though.

:laugh:

Enjoyed the phone in, some good questions/areas raised by fans - long ball, Given, defence, lack of creativity. KK answered it all well, seems totally up for the challenge and appears to agree with all the negative points made.

Totally class bloke, there cant be a more genuine one in footy, i know that doesnt win you trophies, but far rather have him in charge than crooks like Allardyce and Souness.

Get the impression he isnt that worried about relegation, as he believes we'll pick up the necessary points sooner or later, and is already thinking ahead to next season and its preperations in the summer.

anyone know if the whole interview is likely to be posted for download? I missed the first half.

Thanks and Regards,

Kirk

They put the Souness one up on the BBC website last time (to stream) so I'm sure they will with Keegan's. There will probably be a link to it on the main football pages of the BBC website on Friday (or earlier). The media will currently be listening through the interview and making stories from it by shortening quotes e.g. "N'Zogbia is not happy".

The thing with players like Carrick and SWP is that both are replaceable so if the right money is offered then I think both clubs will be willing to talk, the likes of Chelsea and Man Utd look to improve every year and for me the likes of the two I've mentioned are players in positions where I think they will aim for better.

At the same time both players wouldn't have been available in January so lets hope this is the calibre of players Keegan has waited for.

anyone know if the whole interview is likely to be posted for download? I missed the first half.

Thanks and Regards,

Kirk

They put the Souness one up on the BBC website last time (to stream) so I'm sure they will with Keegan's. There will probably be a link to it on the main football pages of the BBC website on Friday (or earlier). The media will currently be listening through the interview and making stories from it by shortening quotes e.g. "N'Zogbia is not happy".

Nice one, thanks!

Br,

Kirk

Kevin Keegan has reiterated his determination to “amaze” Newcastle United supporters and named his dream signing as Thierry Henry, the former Arsenal captain. Questioned by the club’s supporters on Thursday night, the manager conceded that the club are facing a relegation battle for the remainder of this season, but he remains characteristically positive about the future.

Keegan broke the world transfer record when he signed Alan Shearer from Blackburn Rovers in 1996 and, while Newcastle are now a vastly different institution, the Geordie "Messiah" is defined by his optimism. Returning the club to the upper echelons of the Barclays Premier League is not be a straightforward prospect, but he sees no reason why silverware cannot be won.

“It would be nice to beat a world record,” Keegan told BBC Radio Newcastle. “It would be nice to amaze people with the people we’re bringing in. We certainly have an owner who could help find the money. If I could sign one player, you’d want to bring Thierry Henry back to England. When you’re at pitch level and see what he can do to players ...”

Some fans were disappointed that Newcastle were unable to strengthen their squad during last month’s transfer window, but Keegan was adamant that he would not sign players for the sake of it. “I sat down with the owners and discussed the players available,” he said. “It was a wish-list, not a hit list, and by the time we crossed off the people who wouldn’t be available, there weren’t many left.”

Initially, however, Newcastle, who are twelfth in the table, have a more prosaic and pressing task. “The last time we came into this division, I thought ‘consolidation’ was a word we shouldn’t use, but now the first priority is to make sure we get enough points to secure safety,” Keegan admitted. “I know we’ve got a tough fixture list. I was fully aware of the task. I’m absolutely aware of that.

“We’re just on the edge of it (the relegation battle) and we’ve got to be good enough not to get sucked right into it. All our away games are against teams in the top half, but we know what we’ve got to do. We’ve got to stabilise the club. If we can do that and give fans hope that things will get better next year, I think that’ll be enough for them.”

Keegan, who last left the club in 1997, resigned from the England job and left Manchester City prior to the end of his contract, refuted his reputation as a “quitter”. “When I left here – and I was here for five years – I’d worked with people to try and turn this club around and I was made promises and those promises weren’t kept quite frankly,” he said. “There were loads of them.

“The England thing, I stood up and said exactly what I felt. No one can say I wasn’t honest. I didn’t apply for it, I was head-hunted, I took the job on but it didn’t do enough for me. A lot of the odds are stacked against you. At Manchester City, to be honest, I had a five-year contract and I said after three and a half years, I wouldn’t sign another one ... But I waited a year and three months for them to pay (his contract) up, to help the club out. People don’t realise that.”

Keegan said again that he is satisfied with the appointment of Dennis Wise as Newcastle’s executive director. “They didn’t go behind my back,” he said. “I knew they were going to get a director of football and we desperately need that. Chris Mort is a great chairman, but he’s a lawyer by trade. Mike Ashley [the owner] is the main man and he wanted some people on the board he could relate to.

“It was in place before I came. Harry Redknapp would have taken the same deal. Of the three names mentioned to me, I’m pleased Dennis the one they plumped for. I know him, I picked him for England and I think he was going to finish with Leeds anyway. I’m meeting him again [on Friday]. Fans shouldn’t see it as a negative. It’s a plus for the club because he’s going to be putting in parts to the club that have been overlooked.

“We’ve already got one guy from Italy and there are two more from other parts of the world that we can look at. Whilst local kids coming through are important, if they’re not here at the present moment, the club is right to look further afield. Manchester City are competing for them and paying money in compensation and Liverpool are doing it. If you can’t beat them, you have to join them.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article3330517.ece

I think Nancy from Hexham (2nd caller) was after Shola to bust her chocolate starfish.

Bloody hell, I thought she was going to suggest that Keegan sent him round her house for a good 'work out' if he wasn't going to get a game.

Scruffy owld mare!

I doubt anyone would even be talking about Carrick as a possibility if it wasn't for the fact that he's a Geordie.

Well yeah, because we all like to think/know our fellow Geordies who have footballing ability want to play for Newcastle United. When they speak they often say they want to, well apart from Gordon Armstong.

should break the bank to sign Carrick and build the team around him imo, sickens me that we could have had him in 2003 for £3m

Is it really worth breaking the bank for Carrick? If we're bank-breaking for a Premiership player (that isn't stupidly unrealistic), i'd rather we go for someone like Arteta or Elano.

We tried to get Carrick he knocked us back for Man Ure, no shock there really, I doubt Man U would sell and even if they did he would not come here..

When did we try and get Carrick Skirgey baby when Man Yoo got him?

We tried to get Carrick he knocked us back for Man Ure, no shock there really, I doubt Man U would sell and even if they did he would not come here..

Aye, I am sure it was more than just a rumour..

Aye, I am sure it was more than just a rumour..

We could have had him when SBR was in charge, but got Butt instead, I remember that.