Premier League games to be played abroad?

stozo

Globalisation of the Premier League.

ie. Hong Kong Villains vs Kuala Lumpur Magpies

Inevitable...?

Discuss.

Cos it looks like we're heading that way to me.

Worst thing is, I'm not even sure I care.

I think I'll start watching non league football if this charade goes ahead.

It is bad enough getting bumraped year on year by Sky, the FA et al; getting TOLD you are going to be bumraped and bending over and spreading your legs for it is a totally different. Fuck that.

They created the Premier League Asia Trophy.

Just keep rotating the 4 teams taking part, and leave it at that.  For those abroad going to the game, seeing Premier League teams and players playing in their country can be a once in a lifetime experience.  Are they really going to be that arsed about how competitive the games are?

Man Utd go to Thailand/Singapore and the likes and the crowd are flocking in their thousands just to see them play a President's XI - we don't need to make these games count for anything.

They were talking about this on Channel 7's Sunrise programme this morning here in Australia - apparently, because of the strong Sky TV links here, Australia is one of the first countries where this is likely to happen.

There wouldn't be any shortage of support for Prem sides in the big cities as there are many fans of the Prem over here(they had 55,000 in Melbourne for the A League Play off between Sydney 7 Melbourne 2 years ago, and over 50,000 at this weeks' International v Qatar).Incidentally, more & more Brits are coming to live in Oz - 23,000 alone last year with more expected this year......

As Midds says, if the money is being offered,it will happen - I think this is a SKY initiative because, as I said earlier in the year, they are fearful of losing income with the Economic downturn(people scrapping PPV and Subs), so this is a way of raising more money.

Domestic fans are only there to provide jam now  - the bread & butter comes from SKY, and the one who pays the piper calls the tune....

Globalisation of the Premier League.

ie. Hong Kong Villains vs Kuala Lumpur Magpies

Inevitable...?

Discuss.

Cos it looks like we're heading that way to me.

Worst thing is, I'm not even sure I care.

I think I'll start watching non league football if this charade goes ahead.

It is bad enough getting bumraped year on year by Sky, the FA et al; getting TOLD you are going to be bumraped and bending over and spreading your legs for it is a totally different. Fuck that.

Yep. The whole money side of the premiership is sending things tits up and the more foreign owners there are then the closer it will become to reality.

I've no problem with the principle of the idea, but I'm not sure how many would turn up to watch. Man U v Liverpool in Tokyo would probably fill a stadium no problem, but how much interest would there be in Fulham v Bolton?

DOdgy plan.

Would be better to form a cup competition of some sort.  I notice on Fm some foreign teams have an A + B team.

A cup competition of the Bteams from top 10 prem league teams.  Each year move it to differnt continent.  The top 10 teams(reserves) from that continent vs ours.

Far better plan!

I heard on 5 Live this morning the Derby chairman saying that considering the proposal was unanimously voted for by all of the premier league chairmen.

Of course, nobody will want to be left out of the extra money, so even if they don't believe in it they may be temopted to vote yes. I really don't see the point of making these fixtures league games... just stick to the random friendlies if you want an extra couple of million in the bank.

The yanks have successfully done it in London (and again this year apparently)

And the PL want to do the same.

Lets face it, Wigan v Bolton would get TEN times as many going to it in asia or wherever than at either of those clubs

Neither can exactly claim to have a well of support (curiously Bolton fans are very quick to criticise us for "poor support" - like a mouse calling an elephant "tiny" isn't it ?  :iamatwat:

They created the Premier League Asia Trophy.

Just keep rotating the 4 teams taking part, and leave it at that.  For those abroad going to the game, seeing Premier League teams and players playing in their country can be a once in a lifetime experience.  Are they really going to be that arsed about how competitive the games are?

Man Utd go to Thailand/Singapore and the likes and the crowd are flocking in their thousands just to see them play a President's XI - we don't need to make these games count for anything.

Pretty much based on that, my suggestion of 5 tournaments pre-season across the globe.

Guest elbee909

There's got to be something a bit untimely about this, 50 years since that Man Utd crash and now they're talking about flying _all_ the premiership clubs abroad to play games.  Could have waited a week or something.

Guest shagthefluff

if this idea goes ahead it will be the end of my support for the club-if we play a game abroad its just not on-the premier league are a disgrace. :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Guest Trizone

If anything they could play the quarter and semi final of the league cup plus the charity shield abroad. Thats 7 games which should be interesting enough for people to come to and they dont bring a disadvantage to any particular team (as noone is entitled to play at home in the cups anyways)

I got a nice reply off the premier league, least they took the time to reply.

Dear Adam

Thank you for your email regarding the Premier League's plans for an international round of fixtures.

Premier League Clubs have agreed in principle to support plans to create a new round of 10 competitive fixtures to be played overseas beginning season 2010/11. This ‘international round’ will be in addition to the traditional 38 home and away matches each of the 20 Premier League Clubs currently play.

The ‘international round’ is an exciting and innovative proposal that needs careful consideration before being introduced. We believe that an ‘international round’ of matches will enhance the strength of the Premier League as a competition; create extra interest in all 20 Premier League Clubs at home and abroad; and allow increased investment in talent development and acquisition, facilities as well as our football development and community programmes.

The globalisation of sport is both an opportunity and a challenge; one that needs addressing in a responsible way. We are a better competition for being a cosmopolitan league and have benefited from our increased international reach. Nonetheless, it is critical we retain our English character by improving our efforts to produce home grown talent, deepening our commitment to community engagement and continuing our investment in the grass roots.

Please be assured that we do take all feedback seriously. We appreciate the concerns of supporters and will be taking all comments on board and consulting widely before the plans are finalised.

Kind regards

Communications Team

Guest elbee909

We should agree but make it conditional that the Primera Liga do the same here and have a simultaneous round of matches while our lot are abroad!

Dear Adam

Thank you for your email regarding the Premier League's plans for an international round of fixtures.

Premier League Clubs have agreed in principle to support plans to create a new round of 10 competitive fixtures to be played overseas beginning season 2010/11. This ‘international round’ will be in addition to the traditional 38 home and away matches each of the 20 Premier League Clubs currently play.

The ‘international round’ is an exciting and innovative proposal that needs careful consideration before being introduced. We believe that an ‘international round’ of matches will enhance the strength of the Premier League as a competition; create extra interest in all 20 Premier League Clubs at home and abroad; and allow increased investment in talent development and acquisition, facilities as well as our football development and community programmes.

The globalisation of sport is both an opportunity and a challenge; one that needs addressing in a responsible way. We are a better competition for being a cosmopolitan league and have benefited from our increased international reach. Nonetheless, it is critical we retain our English character by improving our efforts to produce home grown talent, deepening our commitment to community engagement and continuing our investment in the grass roots.

Please be assured that we do take all feedback seriously. We appreciate the concerns of supporters and will be taking all comments on board and consulting widely before the plans are finalised.

Kind regards

Communications Team

The same auto-generated "nice reply" that everyone else who emailed in has received

Guest East Stander

Dear Adam

Kind regards

Communications Team

Don't be sucked in by this. It is a bog standard copied reply, I got exactly the same response.

The paragraph starting "The globalisation etc" is what is driving this and is what is going to drive me away from anything to do with football after 30 odd years of expense, travel etc etc only for idiots like Scudamore to ignore football history and traditions.

Dear Adam

Kind regards

Communications Team

Don't be sucked in by this. It is a bog standard copied reply, I got exactly the same response.

The paragraph starting "The globalisation etc" is what is driving this and is what is going to drive me away from anything to do with football after 30 odd years of expense, travel etc etc only for idiots like Scudamore to ignore football history and traditions.

History and traditions don't make money, and that's all that counts. Sad but true

Guest elbee909

Interesting post from someone on 606:

---

Get the league noticed more overseas?

Let me tell you something - I went on holiday to the Middle East last year, and every Saturday, had the ability to watch EVERY premier league game live. You know like Sky Football First Match Choice? Over here, we have to watch vide-printers on a Saturday afternoon updating us of the score between Hayes and AFC Wimbledon (no offence), whilst the citizens of Dubai and Riyadh get to watch every 3pm kick off game live. Oh and they get the same thing for every Champions League night.

Anyone who thinks it's a good idea is a tool in my book.

It doesn't matter what you or anyone else thinks - it'll happen

Remember the Man U going to South America and putting two fingers up to the FA Cup debacle ?

Neither team or management wanted it (the pea-brained gloryhunters of their support did though - not the 20% GENUINE fans. The gloryhunters thought they should be put right back into Rnd 4 when they were proved not the super-team they all thought they were, and lost in the first round)- but it happened and it was only the usual PR job the media does for "their" team that it's been pretty much forgotten

Anyone who thinks it's a good idea is a tool in my book.

It doesn't matter what you or anyone else thinks - it'll happen

Remember the Man U going to South America and putting two fingers up to the FA Cup debacle ?

Neither team or management wanted it (the pea-brained gloryhunters of their support did though - not the 20% GENUINE fans)- but it happened and it was only the usual PR job the media does for "their" team that it's been pretty much forgotten

Roy Keane's behind it so that supports my point. And much as I hate Man Utd they didn't want to pull out of the FA Cup but the FA forced their hand at the time because, amongst other things, their participation was supposed to help boost our World Cup bid (since B. Munich were waiting in the wings to take their place). The FA wouldn't make concessions over the FA Cup to make it easier for them. It was nowt to do with Man Utd fucking off the FA Cup to make money.