Realistic Summer Targets

Tsunami

Guest jcricthon

Edit.. worth mentioning that..

Yakubu > anything we have up front

Arteta/Cahill > better than our midfield

Lescott > anything we have at the CB position

Howard > our two GKs atm

Can add Yobo & possibly Baines & Pienaar to that list n all.

I'd rather have Owen and Martins than Yak. Yakuba as replacement for The Duke hoewever......

We want to be looking for better than Yobo

Baines hasn't showed much there, granted he has had a few injuries but I wouldn't take him over the ever improving Enrique

I can see ourselves, Spurs and Man City all having rather better seasons next campaign, which will, along with the continued competition from West Ham, Villa, Blackburn and Portsmouth, make it even harder for Everton to sustain their current seasonal form.

Of all the clubs I think ourselves, Villa, Man City and Spurs are the ones to watch. For a club like Everton to kick on further, they really need to qualify for the CL, which they won't. Otherwise they won't be able to compete financially in terms of wages for the better players while struggling to keep their own better players should rivals start sniffing. As history has shown.

I also think there isn't much more Moyes can do. They need a stronger squad but one of the reasons for their success is because of the opposite, he has knitted together a small tight squad that is manageable and plays for each other, start messing with that and you run the risk of unbalancing it all. Furthermore how long can he keep extracting high quality consistent performances from his players? They already look fatigued and mentally drained. Add in another Euro campaign next season and higher expectations and I can see it turning sour for them to be honest.

For us, providing all goes well in the transfer market, I see no reason why the top 6 shouldn't be our aim and realistically, we'd stand a good chance of achieving that as I'm more than certain KK will bring in high quality players and with the feel good factor only increasing, I can see SJP becoming a fortress again and due to KK's attacking nature, we'll score goals against the lesser teams, which should all amount to a much more healthier season for us, the kind of things that gets you into the top 6 hopefully.

I agree that Spurs will do better than this season (which, Carling Cup apart, shouldn't be difficult) but one of the teams to watch along with Newcastle, City and Villa?  I don't think so.  Berbatov is 99% certain to be gone along with a couple of other high profile names and more upheaval will only delay progression.  It obviously depends on who comes in, how they settle and how quickly Ramos can get them all gelled into a decent looking team but right now I'd be guessing 8th-10th, no better than that.

I can see ourselves, Spurs and Man City all having rather better seasons next campaign, which will, along with the continued competition from West Ham, Villa, Blackburn and Portsmouth, make it even harder for Everton to sustain their current seasonal form.

Of all the clubs I think ourselves, Villa, Man City and Spurs are the ones to watch. For a club like Everton to kick on further, they really need to qualify for the CL, which they won't. Otherwise they won't be able to compete financially in terms of wages for the better players while struggling to keep their own better players should rivals start sniffing. As history has shown.

I also think there isn't much more Moyes can do. They need a stronger squad but one of the reasons for their success is because of the opposite, he has knitted together a small tight squad that is manageable and plays for each other, start messing with that and you run the risk of unbalancing it all. Furthermore how long can he keep extracting high quality consistent performances from his players? They already look fatigued and mentally drained. Add in another Euro campaign next season and higher expectations and I can see it turning sour for them to be honest.

For us, providing all goes well in the transfer market, I see no reason why the top 6 shouldn't be our aim and realistically, we'd stand a good chance of achieving that as I'm more than certain KK will bring in high quality players and with the feel good factor only increasing, I can see SJP becoming a fortress again and due to KK's attacking nature, we'll score goals against the lesser teams, which should all amount to a much more healthier season for us, the kind of things that gets you into the top 6 hopefully.

I agree that Spurs will do better than this season (which, Carling Cup apart, shouldn't be difficult) but one of the teams to watch along with Newcastle, City and Villa?  I don't think so.  Berbatov is 99% certain to be gone along with a couple of other high profile names and more upheaval will only delay progression.  It obviously depends on who comes in, how they settle and how quickly Ramos can get them all gelled into a decent looking team but right now I'd be guessing 8th-10th, no better than that.

Berbatov's going? To?

Berbatov's going? To?

He's told Levy he wants out and while we can still keep him for another 3 years (1 more + a 2 year option) Levy has told him that we wouldn't stand in his way if the right offer came in.  That's why there's the noises about £40m, we won't get that, but Levy is obviously trying to set the bar high.

From the little I've heard, and it is only a little, Inter have mentioned numbers nearest to Levy's bar and Man Utd suggested a player with cash deal with Carrick going in the opposite direction.  Carrick would have been fine, just what we need tbh, but the cash suggested fell a long way short.  What will eventually happen God only knows but I would be amazed to see Berba at WHL next season (apart from playing for the opposition).  Other clubs have enquired but I don't know who.

Can't see Carrick going back to Spurs tbh.

Nor can I tbh.  I know for a fact there was a lot of mutual respect how both sides handled themselves.  Carrick had his head turned by Yanited, said he wouldn't have been leaving for any other club. Levy never spoke about reporting Utd, said he understood and wouldn't stop him if the right offer came in, Carrick was patient and didn't throw a strop when it all went quiet and when the right offer came in the deal was completed inside 2 days. 

There is an option for Spurs to re-sign him should Carrick become available but, tbh, Carrick has proved himself at a higher level and he would be looking to stay at that level.  At the time we signed him Spurs were good for Carrick and Carrick was good for Spurs.  A lot of water has gone under the bridge since then.

Interesting that Carrick seems to be 'available' on some sort of level.

Not as impossible as people are making out.

Never impossible but Fergy probably wants 25m anyway. Fuck them.

Interesting that Carrick seems to be 'available' on some sort of level.

Not as impossible as people are making out.

Never impossible but Fergy probably wants 25m anyway. f*** them.

Bought for £18.6m whats the most you'd pay for him?

Not saying he's worth £19m but he hasnt done anything to make his price go down.

If we said to Man Utd "we will give you 15m for either Carrick or Hargreaves" i reckon they would take it like. Just think it would be tempting for fergy to out and sign someone more exciting with that money.

Mind you Man Utd have no reason to sell, hardly as if they are short of a few bob.

Guest Knightrider

I think like KK, Fergie will be looking to retain his big hitters for next season, adding just one or 2 to his squad, and Carrick for my money is an integral player for them, one he could ill afford to lose. If anything which I've already said before, of the Hargreaves is more likely to be made available.

I think Carrick is a long shot, obviously, and i've said before - i only think Fergie would let him go if we offered what they paid for him. So £18m ish? Which, i dunno, although we need a good centre-mid, dunno if it's worth it. :undecided:

Guest Knightrider

He would be mad to let him go, he makes them tick in midfield in the same way that Ferdinand and Vidic make them defensively strong or Ronaldo and Rooney make them an attacking force, obviously with less panache but then that's why he's so effective, he's a tremendous player to them.

Anyone know how Palermo are doing in Serie A wondering if they were doing bad would be worth looking at Cristian Zaccardo and Andrea Barzagli to very good defenders

midtable conceded 51 goals so far in the league this season.

Anyone know how Palermo are doing in Serie A wondering if they were doing bad would be worth looking at Cristian Zaccardo and Andrea Barzagli to very good defenders

Well very good for Italy :shifty:

Well very good for Italy :shifty:

And on FM. :shifty:

Barzagli has gone a bit stale so to speak, but think he'd easily make the step up to Juve or Milan.

Anderlecht ace and Former Chelsea star Mbark Boussoufa has welcomed speculation linking him with a move to Newcastle United.

Boussoufa said: "I'm flattered by Newcastle's interest. It is always nice to know clubs are watching me.

"I spent two years with Chelsea, so I know what English football is all about. I learned a lot from their players, especially Gianfranco Zola.

"I was on the point of breaking into their first team when Roman Abramovich arrived. He signed seven star players, and the youngsters were not given their chance.

"I would not say no to a good offer from England. If Newcastle want me they must first speak to my club - and then I'll gladly listen to what they have to say."

Tribal....

http://talkingsoccer.blogspot.com/2008/04/anderlecht-star-keen-on-newcastle.html

Just read in BBC's gossip column once again that Man City are chasing Werder Bremen's Diego for £10m or in that region.

He's got two year remaining on his contract but is thought to be keen on a move to the Premier League.

I would love it if we hi-jacked the move, although I cannot see him moving to either us or City.