Backroom staff exit - five and counting

lovejoy

Like other people I'm a bit worried about all these departures. I also wonder who's behind them and why, if it's Keegan I hope it's not a case of: "I don't understand what it is you do, see ya later". Otherwise, it could well be a repeat of getting rid of the reserves the last time he was here.

Whilst I agree it's rather disconcerting to see so many leave, what evidence is there to suggest they were doing a good job? The man who employed them has been sacked for not being good enough.

Who knows, you're right. Its just a bit worrying really.

Assuming/hoping it's Keegan that's said these people's services are expendable, at least he's taken a few weeks to take stock and see what he thinks. Often when a manager leaves their entire team of staff leaves right there and then too.

Like other people I'm a bit worried about all these departures. I also wonder who's behind them and why, if it's Keegan I hope it's not a case of: "I don't understand what it is you do, see ya later". Otherwise, it could well be a repeat of getting rid of the reserves the last time he was here.

Whilst I agree it's rather disconcerting to see so many leave, what evidence is there to suggest they were doing a good job? The man who employed them has been sacked for not being good enough.

Assuming/hoping it's Keegan that's said these people's services are expendable, at least he's taken a few weeks to take stock and see what he thinks. Often when a manager leaves their entire team of staff leaves right there and then too.

Not sure how Keegan is qualified to know if the head of sports medicine is doing a good job or not, same goes for a masseur and a physio.

Not sure how Keegan is qualified to know if the head of sports medicine is doing a good job or not, same goes for a masseur and a physio.

He's the manager, if he doesn't know, who else does? ???

How does being the manager of a football team make him medically qualified though?

I guess the answer will be whether anyone comes in to replace him or if the position just disappears. If it just disappears then I think that's a mistake. Like I said, if Keegan is just getting rid of people who do jobs that he doesn't understand, but might be beneficial to the team, then I'm worried. If these people have been deemed to be doing a bad job, then fine, but if we're just cutting back on numbers and we end up with Keegan and his mates then that's not fine at all. Things have moved on since 1996, I don't think that you can run a football club without people who know what they're doing and that includes a number of technical roles, particularly relating to the medical side of things. If Keegan thinks that training can consist of going out and running around a bit, then I think he's wrong, really badly wrong. There's a whole load of other stuff that needs to be done, it's a lifestyle now being a footballer, these blokes are athletes and they need to live like athletes and that's what most of the people who are getting let go were there to help them do.

I agree with you on the subject of just employing his mates, the club as an organisation needs to have a much broader spread of talents and areas of expertise than that. However, I can't see who else could be qualified to judge them as doing a good job or not other than Keegan. He simply must have decided they are not required, or are not good enough.

These kind of worries were dismissed by most when Keegan was employed FWIW.

How does being the manager of a football team make him medically qualified though?

I guess the answer will be whether anyone comes in to replace him or if the position just disappears. If it just disappears then I think that's a mistake. Like I said, if Keegan is just getting rid of people who do jobs that he doesn't understand, but might be beneficial to the team, then I'm worried. If these people have been deemed to be doing a bad job, then fine, but if we're just cutting back on numbers and we end up with Keegan and his mates then that's not fine at all. Things have moved on since 1996, I don't think that you can run a football club without people who know what they're doing and that includes a number of technical roles, particularly relating to the medical side of things. If Keegan thinks that training can consist of going out and running around a bit, then I think he's wrong, really badly wrong. There's a whole load of other stuff that needs to be done, it's a lifestyle now being a footballer, these blokes are athletes and they need to live like athletes and that's what most of the people who are getting let go were there to help them do.

I think it depends how involved he was, I remember Sir Bobby saying he'd spoken to Duff and he was just looking forward to playing as things were being overcomplicated, while I agree about it being a lifestyle and that players needing to be on top of everything I always got the impression that Allardyce took it all too far.

Whichever way you cut it,whichever reason you take for this latest development, it all stacks up as further evidence of a club in total disarray, a tailspin, it's panic time.

You've got to be taking the piss, surely?  :idiot2:

He will be dumping these bod because the names mention of Sams men but it is Arthur Cox who is looking at what people are doing & feeding into KK.

Decca Wright was sidelined to duties at the training ground, I noticed he was back on the bench recently. Just as the new medical team are leaving. Wonder if Wright who worked with Keegan & Cox has put the boot in to regain his position as number 1 medical dude at the club.

Guest battyleespeed

is anybody replacing these people and what they were doing... hoping for it but probably aint going to happen. maybe terry mcdermott is going to make the conditioning programs and do massages. The tea lady can do prozone analyses and KK can run to pitch with magic spray whenever someone goes down. Knowing KK he figured out these guys are not needed and just kicked them out of the way. Just like he did with the reserve team back in the days.

is anybody replacing these people and what they were doing... hoping for it but probably aint going to happen. maybe terry mcdermott is going to make the conditioning programs and do massages. The tea lady can do prozone analyses and KK can run to pitch with magic spray whenever someone goes down. Knowing KK he figured out these guys are not needed and just kicked them out of the way. Just like he did with the reserve team back in the days.

You can't really argue that he's doing the wrong thing. There is no way the club needs a backroom staff of 20+.

By the way I know for a fact that we still have a masseur as Sam brought 2 in with him and we had 1 before that.

Someone I spoke to a few weeks back knows someone on the backroom staff who was lamenting that there were too many people who had all the theory but little practical experience.  Was resentful about being told what to do by people he considered less experienced than himself.

We were being ridiculed for having too many backroom staff and now people are concerned that some are leaving.  It depends on who is leaving and why.  I am sure that if there have been some massive improvements in some areas, that KK will have been told about it and is not stupid enough to dismiss it out of hand.

What backroom staff did Keegan have at City?

Dr Spectrum?

Nah, I don't think so.

:boomboom:

His #2 was Arthur Cox for a good while, but he retired a little bit before KK left.

Stuart Pearce as well obviously.

Derek Fazackerley, he's still here with Sven

Fitness coach (AKA guy who put the cones out before the game) was a columbian guy called Juan Carlos Osario, he's head coach of Chicago Fire now I think.

I cant think of anyone else major.

edit...gk coach. Peter Bonetti.

couldnt see this anywhere, delete if it has been posted.

Backroom trio exit:

Spare seats

In addition to Nigel Pearson and various members of our scouting network, Newcastle have now parted company with conditioning coach Mark Howard, head of sports medicine Mark Taylor and ProZone analyst Gavin Fleig.

http://www.nufc.com/

Any manager isn't worth the weight of the piece of paper their contract is written on if they're unable to recognise the shifts in game tempo, fluctuations in possession balance and whatnot as it happens from the dug-out & make the necessary changes, especially if they alternatively need to rely on a bloke downloading stats to a laptop as a means of making any potential strategic changes at half-time.

Pro-Zone was originally supposed to be just a an analysis add-on, at best. For example by crunching the numbers - ie. yards covered by a player over the course of 90 minutes - a player's fitness level after returning from injury could be equated. But from what i've read it was analysis system which was used to compliment the information already provided by the backroom staff - ie. physios etc - to the manager.

On face value Big Sam seemed to use Pro-Zone, and the stats that were being crunched up by the tech bloke Fleig, as a means of defending or justafying the s**** brand of football he was having the team play as 'balanced passing football'.

An exchange of short passes among the defensive back 4 followed by an aimless punt up the park doesn't equate to a 'balanced passing attack', something Allardyce tried to peddle by using Pro-Zone generated stats as his argument backbone.

Pro-Zone = I.T. blokes milking football for all it's worth. Getting back to the first paragraph, and this relates to decisions a manager has to make on the fly in conjunction with how the game is being played out - that's what they're payed for, Pro-Zone is irrelevant imo.

Kind of worrying that we are losing back room staff when in a relegation battle, best time for this kind of shit would be in the summer tbh

I'd say its more Keegan wanting to concentrate on the football rather than all this sports science and statistics bollocks.

No-one else is probbaly medically qualified either. So is the sports science guy unsackable?

No-one else is probbaly medically qualified either. So is the sports science guy unsackable?

No he's not, but if you'd read the rest of my post you'd have seen what I think about that.

No he's not, but if you'd read the rest of my post you'd have seen what I think about that.

I did. I still don;t see the relevance of the point that KK is not medically qualified.

I did. I still don;t see the relevance of the point that KK is not medically qualified.

The point being that many of the people who have left do technical jobs. If he is just getting rid people who do things that he personally doesn't understand, regardless of whether they have a positive effect on the team, or not, then that's bad. If they are replaced then that would suggest that he thought that the previous people simply weren't doing a good enough job, if they aren't then that suggests that he thinks we don't need anybody filling those roles. If that's what he thinks then I think he's wrong, the game has moved on from 1996... ...blah, blah, blah, what I've already said.

The point being that many of the people who have left do technical jobs. If he is just getting rid people who do things that he personally doesn't understand, regardless of whether they have a positive effect on the team, or not, then that's bad. If they are replaced then that would suggest that he thought that the previous people simply weren't doing a good enough job, if they aren't then that suggests that he thinks we don't need anybody filling those roles. If that's what he thinks then I think he's wrong, the game has moved on from 1996... ...blah, blah, blah, what I've already said.

Maybe he wants different roles - not necessarily no roles related to spors science, etc, but different ones. Or maybe he wants rid of some of that fat cunts minions. Or maybe he's managing the team/staff as he sees fit.

He'll stand or fall by his decisions (i know which i expect), so we'll see.