Obafemi Martins

Wullie

Good money for him.

Don't think he'll ever improve much beyond his current level, he can't read the game at all and his first touch is absolutely woeful. If he were good at those things he'd be an absolutely brilliant striker, but he's not and I doubt he ever will be. Innate sort of qualities, and ones that the guy simply doesn't have at all.

Will always be a handy sort of player for an upper mid-table club to have around, cos he'll get you a few goals, but I don't suspect we'll ever be seeing him doing great things in the Champions League, ruefully thinking "Man, he used to play for us."

Guest toonlass

Good money for him.

Don't think he'll ever improve much beyond his current level, he can't read the game at all and his first touch is absolutely woeful. If he were good at those things he'd be an absolutely brilliant striker, but he's not and I doubt he ever will be. Innate sort of qualities, and ones that the guy simply doesn't have at all.

Will always be a handy sort of player for an upper mid-table club to have around, cos he'll get you a few goals, but I don't suspect we'll ever be seeing him doing great things in the Champions League, ruefully thinking "Man, he used to play for us."

Was reading somewhere, earlier this season, that the problem with a lot of African players, is that they grow up playing "street" football. No offsides etc and so when they come into a formal football setting their timings take ages to get right, as they are not used to the offside rule. Dunno how true that is in general, but since reading it I watched Oba and it seems to be true, that his timings for runs are something he struggles with.

Guest toonlass

At £8m he will be a decent buy for some team, you don't get much for that these days, especially players who have a hald decent record at the top level.

I think Ashley is more bothered about getting another £75,000 off the wage bill tbh.

At £8m he will be a decent buy for some team, you don't get much for that these days, especially players who have a hald decent record at the top level.

I think Ashley is more bothered about getting another £75,000 off the wage bill tbh.

That's our reason for selling, we can't realistically keep a player like Martins here in any case. But he's still a decent buy for a mid range club in Europe.

£8m would be more than fair enough. There was a time (particularly after his first season) when I thought he was going to develop into a top player but I just can't see it anymore.

If ANY club offered 8m for Martins, I would snap their hands off - he would be on the first plane out, and I would ask Ashley for a bonus because I reckon that 8m is DOUBLE what I would pay for him.

8m would be brilliant, especially considering the wages we would recoup.

I'd invest some of that into signing Kevin Doyle or another experianced championship striker.

Income is about to reduce by somewhere in the region of £50 million. The club was already running at a  loss on Premiership revenues. I just can't see that players earning £60/£70/£80 grand a week can have any future. Oba will have to be sold imo.

Guest wshmag

£70k a week for a hit and miss striker in the Championship?  No thanks.

exactly, he's awful.

It wasn't that long ago when he was absolutely pivotal to us, and there was that stat being bundled about him being our most important player, blah blah.

People keep banging on about him not having any composure, but I think that mainly stems from a lack of confidence. Against defences in the Championship, he ought to know that he's better than anyone else in there.

In terms of talent, Oba Martins is miles ahead of anyone in the current squad. I don't care what any of you think. As far as I'm concerned anybody who wants Martins out is clueless.

Here's an idea. Why don't we get rid of the wasters who are directly responsible for our relegation instead - Owen, Barton, Viduka, Smith, Duff, Butt, Geremi, Coloccini and Nolan. That's more than 500k a week on wages. Offer a new contract to Bassong on twice of whatever he's earning and be done with it.

Guest wshmag

In terms of talent, Oba Martins is miles ahead of anyone in the current squad. I don't care what any of you think. As far as I'm concerned anybody who wants Martins out is clueless.

Here's an idea. Why don't we get rid of the wasters who are directly responsible for our relegation instead - Owen, Barton, Viduka, Smith, Duff, Butt, Geremi, Coloccini and Nolan. That's more than 500k a week on wages. Offer a new contract to Bassong on twice of whatever he's earning and be done with it.

Utter horse shit.

Martins is a spineless, sulky, shite coward. It's no wonder we got relegated if he is our most talented player. We need to get shot of players like him who are taking 70k+ a week in wages and offering fucking nowt in return.

The sooner we get rid of Martins, the better.

So Martins isn't a waster? How come? Owen scored more goals, Butt played more games, what makes Martins worthwhile?

Can see him doing fairly well in italy, but is never going to be consistent enough to be a top class player. Misses some sitters, then scores a wondergoal. Repeat.

Actually, not just having a go at you but when was the last time he scored one of these wondergoals?

Guest wshmag

Can see him doing fairly well in italy, but is never going to be consistent enough to be a top class player. Misses some sitters, then scores a wondergoal. Repeat.

Actually, not just having a go at you but when was the last time he scored one of these wondergoals?

Spurs away, 06/07?