Obafemi Martins

Wullie

Christ. Let's not re-write history. Dyer did almost nothing for this club. He frequently went missing in matches and only ever lived up to his hype in maybe one or two games per season.

I think he has done more for this club than almost 90% of our current players and his work rate alone is something that our current crop lacks. Sure he was part of the bling brigade and crashed a few cars but he actually gave a shit when he was on the field.

100% correct. If the current first team midfielders ran even half as much or demanded the ball as tirelessly as Dyer did would we be complaining about the lack of movement in the midfield?

I don't get why people say Martins is quick. He might be able to beat players in a running race, but when the ball comes close to Martins, the game slows down dramatically.

When was the last time anyone saw him do this when both players started from the same position ???

He's playing hampered by a groin injury according to the club. Do you really expect him to explode from the blocks if that is the case?

He hasn't used pace for about a year though.  :undecided:

bullshit

I don't get why people say Martins is quick. He might be able to beat players in a running race, but when the ball comes close to Martins, the game slows down dramatically.

When was the last time anyone saw him do this when both players started from the same position ???

He's playing hampered by a groin injury according to the club. Do you really expect him to explode from the blocks if that is the case?

bullshit

For all his reputed speed Martins issnt the fastest dribbler. A number of times he got beyond the last man but couldnt pull away due to his lack of control. Certainly nowhere near as fast as either Dyer or Bellamy running towards goal.

bullshit

When was the last time he used his pace to scoer a goal, like Bellamy used to.

There's too many Martins fanboys, he's good player only an idiot would deny that but he doesn't play to his strengths.

Guest Stephen927

bullshit

When was the last time he used his pace to scoer a goal, like Bellamy used to.

There's too many Martins fanboys, he's good player only an idiot would deny that but he doesn't play to his strengths.

Agreed.  :thup:

Best thing about Martins is his determination. Like the 2nd chance he had that was saved by schwarzer is typical Martins at his best. The ball bouncing, hes half falling over & stumbling around, he still controls it & holds off the defender...then cuts inside and has a good chance saved. I see very few other players doing that, most would just fall over bar maybe torres.

As far as his pace, ive seen him several times (before injury) this season going for the same ball as a defender from the same position and he hasnt beaten the defender to the ball most of the time. If he does he barely does & the defender just makes a slide tackle to put it out. At full pelt he might be fast, but sprinting from a stop he hasnt been superquick this season compared to the average.

He does have very quick feet though, this is why sometimes his control is class & sometimes atrocious.

Best thing about Martins is his determination. Like the 2nd chance he had that was saved by schwarzer is typical Martins at his best. The ball bouncing, hes half falling over & stumbling around, he still controls it & holds off the defender...then cuts inside and has a good chance saved. I see very few other players doing that, most would just fall over bar maybe torres.

As far as his pace, ive seen him several times (before injury) this season going for the same ball as a defender from the same position and he hasnt beaten the defender to the ball most of the time. If he does he barely does & the defender just makes a slide tackle to put it out. At full pelt he might be fast, but sprinting from a stop he hasnt been superquick this season compared to the average.

He does have very quick feet though, this is why sometimes his control is class & sometimes atrocious.

Not quite, problem with Martins is that he's always on his heels in those situations, everytime the defenders already been running and in 10 yard sprints that you get in football, being on your heels nullifies the threat no matter how fast you are. Martins is very quick see Fulham, Chelsea, Sheff United, Villa, Pompey, Liverpool (where he scored) and Birmingham but he just doesn't use it well.

His biggest failing is that he can't read the game worth a piss. He doesn't see what's about to happen before the players around him do, something you just need to be able to do at the top level of the game. As a result his movement is generally directionless and ineffective.

It's why he doesn't get in behind the defense anywhere near as much as he should, or get on the end of a great number of chances in the box. That failing, along with his woeful first touch, are what and likely always will prevent him being a truly top striker.

Still if we stay up I'd keep him over any other striker on our books, all day fucking long.

I sometimes however think that Martins is quite reluctant to use his pace tbh as like Pompey he loses control, may be why he doesn't use it all that often because it'll make him look shit, especially when he's not in a period of confidence.

I sometimes wonder why we need players like Martins at all considering all they have is misguided pace, poor touch and stupid brains? Why don't we pack the team with players with so much nous and experience like Geremi, Owen, Nolan, Viduka, Butt and Cacapa? Not to mention Smith who might be available on Sunday?

I sometimes however think that Martins is quite reluctant to use his pace tbh as like Pompey he loses control, may be why he doesn't use it all that often because it'll make him look s***, especially when he's not in a period of confidence.

I sometimes wonder why we need players like Martins at all considering all they have is misguided pace, poor touch and stupid brains? Why don't we pack the team with players with so much nous and experience like Geremi, Owen, Nolan, Viduka, Butt and Cacapa? Not to mention Smith who might be available on Sunday?

This is what I mean by Martins' fanboys.  No-one is denying that he's good player but, surprise surprise, he does have some faults.

I sometimes however think that Martins is quite reluctant to use his pace tbh as like Pompey he loses control, may be why he doesn't use it all that often because it'll make him look s***, especially when he's not in a period of confidence.

This is what I mean by Martins' fanboys.  No-one is denying that he's good player but, surprise surprise, he does have some faults.

I just acknowledged his faults, so how does that make me a fanboy?

Well it looked a lot like sarcasm to me...

From me or you?

From me or you?

You.

"I sometimes wonder why we need players like Martins at all considering all they have is misguided pace, poor touch and stupid brains? Why don't we pack the team with players with so much nous and experience like Geremi, Owen, Nolan, Viduka, Butt and Cacapa? Not to mention Smith who might be available on Sunday?"

That's not sarcasm?  :kinnear:

Isn't that sarcasm? Why make a big deal of it if you are going to use it yourself?

Martins with a brain for football would have been amongst the best strikers in the world.

Yep. I've said this for the best part of two years now. It's so frustrating knowing he has the talent but doesn't know how to use it.

Martins with a brain for football would have been amongst the best strikers in the world.

Yep. I've said this for the best part of two years now. It's so frustrating knowing he has the talent but doesn't know how to use it.

Well hopefully after a season under Shearer's wing, we'll see a vast improvement.

Isn't that sarcasm? Why make a big deal of it if you are going to use it yourself?

I wasn't criticizing you for using sarcasm.  :undecided:  I was saying you were being sarcastic as you obviously (I assume) don't want the team filled with the likes of Nolan.  You were getting wound up because people were highlighting Martins' obvious faults.

I wasn't criticizing you for using sarcasm.  :undecided:  I was saying you were being sarcastic as you obviously (I assume) don't want the team filled with the likes of Nolan.   You were getting wound up because people were highlighting Martins' obvious faults.

I was making the point that we have other areas which are of much bigger concern IMO, that doesn't make me a "fanboy". Obviously I would prefer Ronaldo or Drogba.

Guest Stephen927

Similar to what I remember Solano saying about Dyer, something like if he had Nobby's brain to go with his pace he'd be one of the worlds best, and Solano would be one of the worlds best if he had Dyer's pace to go with his brain.

Similar to what I remember Solano saying about Dyer, something like if he had Nobby's brain to go with his pace he'd be one of the worlds best, and Solano would be one of the worlds best if he had Dyer's pace to go with his brain.

I think Dyer had a canny footballing brain.

I think Dyer had a canny footballing brain.

he did when he played up front but he didn't have the talent for it

he had the legs for midfield but not the nouse.

would probably have been perfect behind a shearer type in a 4-2-3-1.

I always thought Little Ken looked electric up front. Never stopped moving, made some lovely runs, was only really let-down by his lack of a killer instinct (although his goal record up top was hardly bad).

He was a player disliked for his attitude and fitness record rather than his ability, IMO. In time, when people are looking back at the highlights of Robson's best team they'll remember him more fondly when you see just how much good he was involved with.